United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 26s
Overall Rank = 31/1011
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/99
Pre-race routine:

Ate PB&J sandwich and drank some juice, jogged about 1.5 miles and ran some a few sprints. Ate part of a Marathon Snickers bar and drank some water.
Run
  • 1h 06m 26s
  • 10 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran what I thought was a smart race. I could have gone out a little faster in the first 2 miles but having never run the course before I erred on the conservative side. I also ran a short race the day before so I am wondering if that impacted my performance at all. I was able to catch quite a few people in the last few miles that went out too hard. I caught all but one of the women as well so yes, I still got chicked. :) This is a race I recommend to everyone. It was well organized and had many cheering spectators that gave needed adrenaline rushes at just the right time.

Although it was a tough race it was a great challenge. The very slow time is indicative of the challenges of the course. Another challenge was the relative high altitude of the race, fluctuating between 6,250 to 6,550 feet in elevation.

This is the first race in the Triple Crown series. The second one is a trail 12K and the last is the Pikes Peak ascent/marathon. The last race is one of the hardest and grueling races on the planet.

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/

Since the first two runners in my age group won awards for the top 10 overall, I was fortunate enough to win a 5th place trophy. The famous Matt Carpenter was presenting the awards. It was cool getting it from him since I run with him and the Incline Club on Sundays in preparation for the Pikes Peak Ascent.

What would you do differently?:

Knowing what I do now, one thing I will do differently next year is go slightly faster for the first 2 miles. Not overly fast as I hit the second mile in 11:54 but a little faster. I also plan to work on more hill repeats of longer duration of perhaps 4 minutes in length.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged another mile easily with another runner and continued to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having never run the race before and underestimating the true challenges of the hills.

Event comments:

Since the roads had to open to the traffic again there could be no real post race activities. Its just as well since I had to make the hour and half drive back to Denver.

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:26 | 10 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/99
Overall: 31/1011
Performance: Good
Course: Continuously rolling, tough and steep hills but along some of the most magnificent scenery anywhere in the U.S.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 9:11 PM

Subject: Garden of the Gods 10 Miler

2006-06-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: #450627

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Garden of the Gods 10 Miler
Great work... you have been on a really impressive streak as of late. Keep it up and keep your eyes on the number on my back... as it grows smaller and smaller...
2006-06-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: #451577

Subject: RE: Garden of the Gods 10 Miler
verve500 - 2006-06-12 2:39 PM

Great work... you have been on a really impressive streak as of late. Keep it up and keep your eyes on the number on my back... as it grows smaller and smaller...

That's what I am nervous about. Seeing you get further and further in the front... I'll really need to buy a bike so I can keep up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Garden of the Gods 10 Miler Rss Feed