of 2

2012-08-08 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4351796

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Am I going to be dead last
rungirl222 - 2012-08-07 4:44 PM

do what is most important which is have a good time and enjoy the race with my friends!

Any advice?

this

2012-08-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4352561

User image

Veteran
Louisville

Cayenne - 2012-08-08 8:46 AM And so what if you are last? Would that diminish all your efforts and send you home in tears? Would that make you not want to participate anymore? There is so much more to competition than to come at a certain place, The conditions change year to year and dependant on the length of the race, hour to hour. I have been DFL more than I care to say and yet I can be proud,mostly, of my performances. Y ou will be too! Good luck!

x2! I know I'm being a little sensitive but this is almost insulting to someone who is pretty regularly BOP. I haven't done my first sprint yet and have no idea how I'll perform or what to expect but judging by my times from training and looking at the race's results from last year I likely won't be in the top 50% of finishers. I guess I just don't have that fear of being last. As long as I finish before the course closes I'm happy. I used to be a runner years ago and was MOP. Now after 2-3 years of no exercise, a lot of weight gain and severe depression I'm just proud of myself every day for working as hard as I do. Could I work harder and be faster? Probably. (though the fastest mile I've EVER run was 8:03 and I was 13...) but I could also be in a lot worse shape. I know that because I have been. We probably all have been in worse shape than now and many of us will be in better shape in a year. Like I said, I know I'm being sensitive but it does bug me a bit when people complain about being "slow" or "last" or the "loser". I don't know about you but regardless what place I get in 2 weeks I won't be any of those things.

2012-08-08 2:43 PM

User image

Ottawa, On
You finish you win! The odds of you being last is like winning the jackpot. I did a Olympic two weeks ago and there were some with mountain bikes, Others walking the 10k etc. Concentrate on your performance and don't worry or care about your position for your first race. My first race was simple "Fun" Then I got hooked. My first Marathon I did not care about my time just crossing the finish line. I have done many events and sometimes very suprised at the results. Just go and enjoy yourself.
2012-08-08 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I was dead last by over an hour on my first sprint tri.  It happens.  better to be dead last than not even tri.  Someone will be last.  As long as you make any cutoffs they may have you will be good.
2012-08-09 11:13 PM

Don't lose hope if you come in dead last. With every loss a lesson is learned and the room for improvement is vast when last!
My very first triathlon in 1986 I came in dead last, 20 minutes later than the guy in front of me. The awards ceremony was currently underway as I entered the final stretch and the announcer stopes the awards presentation to alert the crowd to my finish. The crowd went wild with cheers and applause which only serves to boost my stride and I finishes in a full sprint.
Afterward, the overall female winner sought me out of the crowd to congratulate me and told me that I received the largest amount of applause that day. It was at that point I realized I should wear that finish with a badge of honor which was further confirmed when I received the official race results weeks later and learned that there were dozens of competitors that failed to finish for one reason or another. So I wasn't last after all but it didn't matter because I was still proud to have outlasted my desire to stop and finished with heaps of pride.
I still have that copy of Thrace results all these years later and when I need some inspiration I look at it to see how far I've come since coming in last!

As long as you tri you'll never fail to achieve something!

Keep the faith.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I going to be dead last Rss Feed  

of 2