Salamanca, New York
United States
Willow Creek Triathlon
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 199/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

This race starts later than most (rules meeting at 9, race at 9:30) and was only like 10 minutes away from my mom's house, so I was able to get up like a normal day and putter around. At the time, I thought that to be a big advantage, but in retrospect, it did give me an awful lot of time to fret about the swim, my lack of training, how hot it was going to get, etc.
Breakfast: chia pudding & coffee; Vega Pre-Workout Energizer on the drive there.
Event warmup:

I didn't have a watch on, and wasn't familiar with how this race goes on, so I paced fretfully until the rules meeting/ ceremony was called. After the meeting, there was a mad grab for swimming caps, and at this point I jumped in the water just enough to get wet.
Swim
  • 11m 9s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though I took a Sudafed in the morning, my nose was stopped up within a few strokes, so I couldn't suck any air in through my nose and had to breathe through my mouth. This led to lots of gagging on lake water right off the bat. The kayakers kept asking me if I was okay. So embarrassing - I'm sure I looked like I was drowning! But I plugged along, and before I knew it, I was able to touch the bottom again and ran the rest of the way in.
What would you do differently?:

Much, much more open water swim practice, of course. I'm not sure what to do about the allergy/ nose blockage thing - it's something I continue to struggle with. At 300 yards, I probably would have been better off just doing the whole swim sidestroke and avoided having my face in the water at all, since the breathing thing continued to affect me the whole race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was a benefit race, not USAT. The transitions weren't timed, just a part of the leg times. I was a little clumsy getting my shoes on, but didn't do too bad.

I'm sure if I practiced this more, I'd get more efficient.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 53s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This was such a gorgeous ride! Very enjoyable! My one big problem here was that my hands became very numb, so much so that I was unable to hold on to things, so I couldn't drink water, eat my shot blox, or blow my nose. I was having a lot of fun on the ride, so I wasn't really even paying attention to it, but I think not taking care of myself here contributed highly to my terrible run.

Here is the big thing I would have done differently - double check my bike at the rack. Didn't I learn my lesson at my last race? Guess not. When I first got out of my car, I lowered my seat a little because I was going to be riding it over some downhill grassy knolls with a dangling tote back at my side, and never raised it again when I got to the rack. I realized this almost as soon as I started riding around the lake. Now what I should have done is to pull over and raise my seat. But did I? No. I thought about it now and then through the ride, but never did it. I'm sure I could have shaved at least a few minutes off the time had I taken a few seconds to do this. Lazy.
As far as the hand numbness, I'm not sure. I'm thinking that riding a road bike might help (I was on an old mountain bike.) Dunno.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The easiest T2 ever! Volunteers took my bike and racked it for me. I was already wearing my running shoes, so there was nothing to do but pass off my bike and go.
Run
  • 48m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 16m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't hydrated properly on the bike, so I had to make up for it on the run. Luckily, there were A LOT of water stations - way more than I've ever seen in a race. It was a dangerously hot day (my mom said that there were quite a few people who were taken away with heat stroke) so they were much needed - thank you so much, volunteers! I especially loved the little kids handing out water, the people who put ice down my shirt, and the sponge girls.
Off the bike, I kept trying to run, but felt myself staggering. I decided that if I planned on finishing the race, I'd better not push it. So I mostly walked. This was disappointing because since I'd just done a half marathon last month, I figured the run would be my best leg. Not so, but oh well, at least I finished.

Hydrate on the bike.
Also, I think if I'd started the swim earlier, I would have avoided some of the worst heat later in the race, so it probably would have been worthwhile to be a little more bold during the swim cap grab, as that determined when you started the race.
More practice running on very hot days.
Post race
Warm down:

More ice down the shirt, and a shady spot in the pavilion. My family brought me a Vega Recovery drink to the finish line.
I was not even remotely sore the next day - how the heck did that happen?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat.
Not enough training.
Allergies.
Probably equipment (mountain bike).

Event comments:

Overall, I loved this race. I loved that it was a benefit (for Disabled American Veterans Transportation Network), the course was beautiful, and the post-race party was so enticing that my family actually joined me at the finish line and had a great time. There were also quite a few kids participating in the race - very cool to see them out there having fun!
Also, a shout out to Just Riding Along in Bradford, who fit me in for a last minute tune-up on my ancient mountain bike, which definitely contributed to a happier race for me. They also donated the bike for the benefit raffle. Thanks, guys!

Last updated: 2012-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:09 | 300 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Out to buoy just beyond lifeguard station and back (triangle). The course doesn't go very far from the shore, and I don't think the water gets very deep. I'm wondering if this is why the water seemed so very turbulent - a lot of swimmers churning about in not very deep water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:53 | 15 miles | 13.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 10/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Around the lake, and then a straight shot along the Allegheny Reservoir to the Corydon Hotel. I think there was a little headwind toward the end of the course, but it was so hot out by then that it felt awesome.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:46 | 03 miles | 16m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 10/
Performance: Below average
Course: Straight line from the Corydon to the Willows. Outrageously hot out, and not much shade on the route by mid-day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes