General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi There! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-08 9:30 PM

Subject: Hi There!

Hi everyone!

I have been browsing this site for a few days now after googling a beginner triathlon plan, and I have to say, I am really impressed with the wealth of information! I am 23 and have gradually lost about 65 lbs since high school through running and eating better (5'11", now weigh 175), however I am starting to get bored with only running, and some friends recommended I try a triathlon. I used to swim for a team when I was in grammar school, so I thought that was a great idea.

Now, only problem is I don't own a bike or know anything really about bikes, and I did not realize how incredibly expensive they can be! I will be running a half marathon in about a month, and then I want to start building up my bike and swim endurance, as well as maintain my run. 

Any advice on somewhat cheap ($500 or less) bikes? I have been looking on craigslist, but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Anyways, I look forward to being active on this forum, hopefully for a long time!

2012-08-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4354147

Subject: RE: Hi There!
Also, forgot to mention, if anyone knows of any good sites where I can learn a bit about bikes that would be great! I found a few on google, but nothing spectacular.
2012-08-09 12:35 PM

Greetings, and welcome!  I'm new here as well, but this seems like a great community.

Your friends were right to suggest triathlon to you.  I started out as a runner as well, and last year I did my first triathlon.  I fell in love with it all the variety I now have in my workouts.  It's more fun, and I believe it leads to a more well-rounded level of fitness.  Besides, you probably wouldn't run every day anyway even if you still consider yourself primarily a runner, so with cycling and swimming you always have something to do on your running days off.

You are right though that bikes can be quite expensive.  Triathlon in general can quite expensive as there are a ton of things to spend money on even after you have the bike (gym membership for swimming, race entry fees which tend to be higher than running races, tri-specific clothing, all the cool gadgets for your bike, etc. etc.).  Fortunately, it doesn't have to start out too expensive.  Just work on building your collection of "tri gear" over time.  A lot of that stuff is great gift ideas to give to friends and family

As far as bikes go, if your budget is $500, then craigslist or eBay is the way to go.  You should definitely be able to find a good starter bike in that price range.  At a local bike shop, $500 won't get you very far.  The first thing you want to consider is looking specifically for road bikes.  If you want this primarily for triathlon, then stay away from a mountain bike or a hybrid style bike.  You can get away with those for short-distance races, but you will be a lot slower, and you wouldn't want to consider it for anything longer like a Half Ironman or more.  By road bike, you are basically looking for that classic "skinny tire, hooked handle bar" look.  You might be able to find a used Specialized Allez or Cannondale CAAD 8 in that price range.  The hardest part will be determining what size you should get, and you kind of want to go to a bike shop for that. Also invest in clipless pedals and proper cycling shoes. This will add a bit more expense, and will increase the learning curve a bit, but will pay for itself in dividends.

I don't have any good cycling sites with general info to mention as I work with a bunch of avid cyclists and that's where I usually go for my info.  There are some good forum sites that would be good to ask specific cycling questions.  The top 4 hits in a Google search for "cycling forums" are all good.

Best of luck, and welcome to tri!  I think you'll love it!

2012-08-09 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

welcome ~ make sure to check out the classifieds on bt under the forums button above.

good luck!

2012-08-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4355265

Thank you both for the advice! RunsForBeer, much appreciated post!
2012-08-09 8:02 PM

Hey! I bought a road bike off of ebay sold by an online company called totocycling, and it was about $350 and has worked great! Good job and good luck!

PS I got the Apache

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi There! Rss Feed