Mimran Event Management
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 56s
Overall Rank = 113/214
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 20/28
Pre-race routine:

I arrived early for the race. Tony picked me up from the motel at 4:40am and we would there well before 5. I spent lots of time setting stuff up, staring at the transition area, trying to some stretching, getting marking, chip, bathroom, etc.

Event warmup:

I did some stretching. Ate 1/2 dry bagel.

24 out of 42 total
Swim
  • 32m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Compared to my first Open water race, I had less panic, felt decent, but did not feel fast. My goggles fogged toward the end making it difficult to site.

13 out of 42 35-39 yr olds
What would you do differently?:

Just improve overall speed. This is the leg that I'm most competitive in, but I didn't have breakaway speed today. This time was about 15 seconds per 100 under what I expected.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Forgot my towel and just used an old pair of swim trunks to step on. I couldn't really dry off my feet very well and had lots of grass on them without a good way to get it off. Sat down to put socks on. Lots of people bike without socks but I'm paranoid of blisters which would hurt my run even worse.

Bring towel to dry off feet, maybe bring a 5 gallon bucket as a transition bag to sit on to put socks on. I have been putting my shoes on in transition and then mounting/clipping in. I do not leave my shoes clipped/banded in and then put them on after mount. This is something that I will need to practice.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went OK but at about mile 18 my adducters started to cramp and seize. I was very uncomfortable. There were several times that I stopped pedalling and stood on the bike in order to try to stretch. It didn't really help. I really struggled toward the end.

Bike fitness is not where it needs to be and my fitness level in the race pretty much matched my training. The bottom line is that I need more time in the saddle. I have a trainer at home now so I anticipate that will allow me to put in more time in the saddle. Overall, I have spent so much time trying to get run fitness that I've neglected the bike.

23 out of 42 35-39 yr olds
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

My transition was probably pretty slow mainly because I was having troubles moving my hips at this point.
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was pretty slow, but that was to be expected. I could feel the bike affecting me more than it should have. I was 4 miles into the run before I started feeling more comfortable.

29 out of 42 35-39

I think my bike fitness improving will help my run. I expect to be able to do the run in close to 9 min miles during a race at this point but the fatigue caused me problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Choked down 1/2 banana, drank bottle of water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness, was more tired on run than I should have

Event comments:

This was a great race and one I would like to participate in again. The race organizers were excellent and everything seemed very organized. My wife was a spectator and it was a bit difficult for her arriving late, but I don't see much alternative. Great, challenging course. Lot's of fun.

Last updated: 2012-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:58 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/28
Overall: 0/214
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: The course was a rectangle. There was some overlap with the sprint course, and I ran into a few sprinters, but it wasn't too bad.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:07 | 24.85 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: rolling hills, started off with long grinding hill. I did pretty well on this hill. But overall I could tell that my ride was not as strong as it should be.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a mix of trail, gravel, running path and some road. It was kind of hilly. At the very beginning of the run there is a pretty steep hill on a dirt trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes