Fast Food breakfast and drive
Event warmup:

nothing really
Bike
  • 5h 30m
  • 100 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I had fun riding with the faster riders at first-its good to go out with racers who know how to corner at speed without losing ground or causing problems. There was the usual assortment of characters that do the occasional odd thing, like "hydration guy" who had 4 large water bottles and a can of Coca cola in his jersey pocket along with other nutrition stuff. He started trying to manage this convenience store at around mile 10 while we are still packed up tight at 25 mph cornering and attacking the rollers-the coke hit the ground at mile 12, sent the peloton asunder briefly
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I should probably have approached this more like a dry run for Redman, but I rode it like any other century
Post race
Warm down:

drink water, cola, gatorade, lay around before I clean up and start my chainsaw :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know i was 38 minutes faster than last year at the same time-slightly different route.

Event comments:

They bill themselves as a good preparation for the Hotter n Hell, and if our recent weather had held it would have been, possibly hotter than the HH. The course is similar (based on a ten year old recollection). The Graham Rally is probably more similar to Wichita Falls in look and feel, terrain etc

Last updated: 2012-05-02 12:00 AM
Biking
05:30:00 | 100 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
The first 21 miles I stayed with the lead group at 21+mph. They were lead out by the McKinney Velo club guys at first but one of them flatted or something and the entire team-15-20 riders stayed back with that person, after I dropped at mile 21 they blew by me at mile 25 like a freight train in a nice double pace line-caught the lead group right after that. The rest of the ride I made somewhat of an effort to stay in my zone but ended up "racing" more than I should, rode with some as the routes came back together, 2 rest stops, I left the course at mile 80 and headed home, 1 flat at mile 91
Wind: Strong
Course: A sort of rambling course zig zagging across highways 75 and 289, using some of 289. The main roadways were in good shape but the secondary roads were rough in places including some sketchy railroad crossings. I am familiar with this area-it is my backyard, the roads are ride-able but when large fast groups come though the conditions are magnified
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right