General Discussion Race Reports! » 21st Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

21st Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman State Park, New York
United States
NYTC
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 34s
Overall Rank = 67/319
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/39
Pre-race routine:

Anxious to get started. Pack up car, wife and kids 1hr before race. Get to race, set up transition area. Had a massage on Friday before. Camping at Beaver Pond Campground on lake Welsh.Two bannas, water. Meet up with Mark (Rollinbones) to discuss the race. Less nervous than last year.
Event warmup:

Jog back and forth across beach. The park would not let us do warm-ups in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Faster than last year, YEA! I had a hard time relaxing this race. I felt like a wad of tense muscle. Stayed on course, but couldn't get into a rythm first 440yards. Second 440yards was more relaxed. site every 5 strokes. Had a real hard time keeping my head down.
What would you do differently?:

Site every 10 strokes. I tried 5 strokes and couldn't get into a rythm. Maybe stretch more before and try to get my blood pumping more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

I tried to put my shoes on while on the bike. Was very clumsy. I really dind't need to do this because I was so close to the timing gate. Put my biking gloves on backwards. I really did not anticipate how spent I would feel while transitioning. No socks was key...

Judge distance from timimg gate and decide if I am going to put shoes on and take them off while on the bike. Grab straps on back of shoe to put them on..
Bike
  • 52m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt strong. Was alittle slow on the hills. My lower back begain to bother me about 3/4 of the way thru the bike, I sat up for a little while (out of aero) to give my back a break. Need to work on staying in aero for long periods of time.

Use a cycle computer to figure out a good pace for myself. I was flying blind without a cycle computer so I didn't know what my pace was. This could have also worked in my favor in that I was stressed out about reaching a certain average speed - which was something I was going to try to do. Work more on hills in training...!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I didn't take any risks at this point (i.e. taking off my shoes while riding) I was so close to the timing gate that it was real easy for me to just go in whith my biking shoes on. So I played it safe. Good thing because after I got off the bike I was a little concerned about loosing my balance becuase I was working hard on the bike. I could not feel my toes. Mostly because of the cold air. I was funny putting on my running shoes, unable to feel my toes.

Nothing..good transition.
Run
  • 20m 20s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt fairly strong. Lower back still bugging me from the bike first half. Second half was strong. Real strong finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around talk to friends and family. Banna, bagle, coffee.Light streching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim

Event comments:

Had #1 this year because I registered early. Got all sorts of questions and comments. Arg...One person asked me about how I got #1. The guy who marked my arm bragged to the other markers that he did #1. I was passed on the real hilly portion of the course by #29. He quiped to me that he had #1 last year. I joked that it was a curse and asked him if he wanted to trade. Later on I passed him again on the bike. During the run #29 passes me. I didn't realize at the time that this was the same guy that had #1 last year. I stayed on his heels. About the last 100 yards another guy comes flying passed us so I kick it into high gear (I still had something remaining to my amazement) and passed #29 the last 100 yards. He came up to me after the timing shoot and shook my hand and told me he was the same guy who had #1 last year. We congratulated each other on a great race. That was a fantastic moment. I had a wonderful cheering section. My wife, son, stepdaughter, Jenn Birmingham, Douglass Simms, Aidan Birmingham, Kili Birmingham, Miles Simms, Eric and Cyrus were there cheering me on. I thought of my son often during the swim. The thought of him and my wonderful friends and family really got me thru. Had a great time talking to Mark (Rollinbones). Good to see Mark there, wouldn't be Harriman without him.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:30 | 880 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 101/319
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca, Sonar
Course: Out and back in Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:52:40 | 16 miles | 18.23 mile/hr
Overall: 56/319
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: This course was hilly and windy, had both cross-winds and headwinds. Circle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:20 | 03 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 82/319
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New York City
Subject: 21st Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1

2006-06-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: #451000

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: 21st Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1
Great race Number 1 Dude you hammered that bike! I've ridden what, 10x more than you and you still kicked my butt! You need to meet me in CP more often so I can chase you around. Our runs were excactly the same! If you keep improving the swim I'll be chasing you in all 3. We definately have to register together next year so we are in the same wave!! Great Job Ben!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 21st Ann. NY TRI/BI-ATHLON SERIES #1 Rss Feed