General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Fort Delaware Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape from Fort Delaware Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Delaware City, Delaware
United States
PIRANHA SPORTS
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 49s
Overall Rank = 103/287
Age Group = 30-34 Men
Age Group Rank = 18/32
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 3:00am. Very early race because they were trying to time the start with a slack tide. In the car at 3:30am. Pre-race meal was a clif bar, 290 cal Perpetuem, water. Finished eating 3 hrs before race start. Got to the site at 4:30 and quickly set up transition as everyone had to be out of transition by 5:00am to board the ferry.
Event warmup:

Basically just paced around and waited to catch the ferry over to the island. I was on the next to last boat so I had about an hour on the island before the start. It was blowing so hard, I just hudled down in a shelter on the peir to stay out of the wind so I had absolutely no warm up. Because the water conditions were so crazy and it was a deep water start, we started about 10 seconds after entering the water so there was no swimming warm up either. I had planned on taking a gel 10 min. before the start, but my stomach was a little churned up so I never took it.
Swim
  • 38m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a seriously intimidating swim. I had seen the weather forecast for the wind so I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I'm not sure I was prepared for what we got. There were some seriously nervous people on the peir prior to the start. One older guy was pacing back and forth saying "oh my god, oh my god, look at those waves, oh my god, oh my god." Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and told him he need to be more positive. He walked away and I never saw him again so I guess he went to bug someone else. There was also a girl behind me who was starting to tear up and was visibly worried about the swim...I was nervous too, but I felt really bad for her. Thankfully, there was a guy next to me who had just raced the St. Croix half that said he had swam conditions like this before and it wasn't too bad. He said to just go bouy to bouy and keep moving forward. Good advice.

Well, they called my wave up and we jumped in. I can tell you that you can't appreciate what 1-2' waves are like until you're actually in the water. Man, it was rough. They started us almost immediately so I was on my way. I had a really hard time in the first 200 yards. I breast stroked a lot and just tried to stay positive. There were a lot of people hanging on to kayaks at this point. Finally, I got myself to just put my face in the water and swim and kind of hit a groove 1/3 of the way through. I had to roll almost all the way to my back to breath and every 10th wave or so I would take a mouthfull of water. (Which tasted like gasoline since there is a refinery just up the river). I had a very tough time sighting and could not swim straight for some reason. In my last two swims I could swim 15+ strokes between sighting, but I couldn't stay on course. I got a good 50 yards right of where I wanted to be, but I just stayed that course as best I could and tried to sight for the canal instead of the bouys. I finally entered the calm water of the canal and thoroughly enjoyed the 200 yards of smooth water before reaching the ramp. I was very thankful to be done and proud that I gutted it out.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Now that I've got experience in those conditions, I know I will be comfortable from the start in rough water. I would never go out for a practice swim in conditions like that so I don't think I would ever be more prepared. I think the main reasons for the slow time was being uncomfortable in the first 200-400 yards, and poor navigation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Good transition. My right calf was cramping a little as I ran to transition so I stretched it for 20 seconds or so before I grabbed the bike off the rack.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Large bridge about 3 miles from the start which was great going out at 15 mph climbing and 38 mph descending, but it was a bear on the way back into the wind. I was in my lowest gear hammering out 10 mph (and passing people) and could only muster 19 mph descending into the wind (although I was taking a gel). About 13 miles of the course was into a headwind. I kept the effort about moderate and didn't push too hard not knowing what the return leg was going to be like into the wind.

Maybe push harder, but being my first olympic, I was unsure of pacing and kept it on the conservative side.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I paced very well which was my main goal. I kept high Z2 for 2 miles, Z3 for 3 miles and then gave it all I had for the last 2. I had a little hamstring discomfort coming out of T2 that loosened up quickly, but it returned in full force in the last mile. Every step felt like it was on the verge of full blown cramp. I think if the race were 200 yards longer I would have been hobbling in. I was hoping for something under 52 minutes, but I wasn't far off and the wind was tough. Took a gel at the turnaround and water at every aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and sat down. Sipped gatorade and drank a bottle of Endurox when I got back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience in rough open water and strength on the bike. Overall, I felt like I concentrated very well and stayed in the moment. It was a tough day for my first olympic distance, but I'm happy with my overall performance. There were 385 signed up and only 287 finishers so I'm curious to know how I would have done had everone shown up and finished. I did pretty bad in my AG, but MOP overall which is about normal. Maybe some day I'll be a front-of-the-MOPer!

Event comments:

Good race venue and was well organize despite the difficult logistics they had to overcome. The water quality was concerning. Good post-race food. I would have given anything for a quick massage on the hamstring that was tight, but they didn't have anyone doing them.

Last updated: 2006-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:12 | 1640 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/32
Overall: 145/287
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: One-way across the Delaware River from Ft. Delaware Island back to "mainland". The wind was blowing 20+ mph which churned the river up with a 1-2 foot chop with a bit of a swell coming out of the north. Serious whitecaps.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:48 | 24.85 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/32
Overall: 86/287
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Sort of a lollipop course. Basically and out and back with a loop on the end. Large bridge to climb at miles 3 and 22.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/32
Overall: 129/287
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Headwind going out, tailwind coming home.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Escape from Fort Delaware Triathlon

2006-06-12 7:51 PM
in reply to: #451009

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Escape from Fort Delaware Triathlon
Nice job! I was there for a short time in the morning to watch T1. Trying to pick up some tips for my first sprint on Sunday. Then we went for a bike ride out of Middletown. That wind was horrible. I discovered low gears I've never used before. Way to gut out some rough conditions!

Pattie
2006-06-12 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

It stinks to get conditions like those for your first race at a given distance.  Sounds like you met the challenge head-on mentally, and had a smart, well planned race.  Nice job. The best part is the experience gained - more tools in your bag. Now that you've conquered wind, you get to slay the heat of July and the hills of Perryville.

BTW - a 1:47 T1?! Your shadow didn't have time to catch up to you!

Edited by wyecrab 2006-06-12 7:57 PM
2006-06-12 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

And I thought I had a tough race Saturday!  Excellent Job!  Congrats on your very first OLY!   I'm in AWE -- I'd have probably been that pacing guy.  Way to keep in focus and accomplish the task, and quite well too!  I'm impressed with your times!

Keep up the good work.  I'll look to you as an example when I do my first Oly later this summer!   GREAT JOB!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape from Fort Delaware Triathlon Rss Feed