Lakeside Swim Team and North Oldham Hgih School Swim Team
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = USAT 800m
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I never eat breakfast before I swim. I know I probably should but I just don't. I have a drink that's 1 scoop of Vega Pre-Workout Energizer, 4 oz fruit punch Gatorade and 4 oz of water and I sip that about 20-30 minutes before the swim. Hands shaking I sipped it and attended every safety workshop they put on, mandatory or not!
Event warmup:

There were 2 waves for 3 different races. The first wave were the 2.4 mile swimmers followed by 1.2 and half mile swimmers. I didn't get to the warm up area before they were calling for the 2.4 mile start so I really did no warm up...probably not a good thing.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 875 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Full on panic attack within the first 150 or so yards. Expended a lot of energy freaking out and then had to try to recover while swimming against the current and fighting waves from barges which I'd never done before. I finally calmed down and relaxed but it was a struggle to keep it moving against the current. Once I made the turn and was heading back I moved at a better clip and was really proud of myself for sticking with it. Already a little sore only 12 hours later so tomorrow should be fun.
What would you do differently?:

Not freak out! Seriously, now I think I can trust myself and my abilities a bit more and just feel better. I think I'd also talk to more people just about OWS and get some words of wisdom. Everyone was really nice afterwards and I got there early enough that maybe I could've benefited from their words before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I got out and hugged my mom who surprisingly came almost all the way down to the swim exit. She's got a slight deformity in one leg and is terrified of water so she never goes near it. I walked in a little further and my boyfriend wrapped me in my towel because it was cold! I drank some Gatorade and ate a body good bar which is one of my favorite snacks and I always eat one after a swim. Probably should've stretched though...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear. Fear and anxiety inhibited me from anything near what my abilities are. But I'm so proud of myself for doing it and really sticking with it. It was so tempting to give up and go back to shore but I kept going anyway.

Event comments:

I don't think the course was too hard for my swimming ability, I just psyched myself out. It was a very small race but there were refreshments and it was well put together. Great for beginners and I would definitely recommend it.

Last updated: 2012-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 875 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Training Swimsuit
Course: 400m against the current and 400m with the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok