General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can someone explain to me the USAT Oly Nat Champs qualification? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-12 6:51 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: Can someone explain to me the USAT Oly Nat Champs qualification?

I am really really confused, not on the "you gotta finish in the top X % of you AG", but the "which races qualify you" part.

I did the NE qualifier event back in June @ The Pat Griskus Oly (it was a good race for my schedule and I wasn't trying to get a slot since I have IMMT that same weekend) and I wound up well into the top X % that qualified me.

But then my GF does IMCDA in June, finishes in the top X % of her AG, and gets an email saying she qualified and that she can sign up for the wait list. An Ironman qualifies you for an Olympic distance national event that is already sold out?

Then we both did a random local yocal sprint race in July and we both win our AG's. We both just got emails saying, "Congrats! You are qualified for USAT Oly Nationals, get yourself on the wait list to this already sold out event!"

So, what is the point of these regional qualifier events on the USAT web-site when, apparently, you can just do really really well at a 140.6 or event a tiny sprint race and qualify?!?

Please clear this up for me! So confused!

2012-08-12 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4359109

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Can someone explain to me the USAT Oly Nat Champs qualification?
You can qualify at any USAT sanctioned race no matter what the distance if you are in top 10% for your AG. I believe they are doing away with regional qualifiers since enough people are qualifying at local races. AG Nationals sold out early this year. I was put on a wait list, but A few weeks later I got another email saying I was now in the race. At this point its probably too late though. Even if you got in the race you would have a hard time finding a room.
2012-08-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4359109

User image

Extreme Veteran

As stated, almost all triathlons in the US are sanctioned by USAT, including WTC branded races.  The "qualification" system is quite inconsistent, as it rewards you more for participating in the smallest local race (assuming you don't have a lot of great athletes racing your local event) rather than a larger race that attracts a lot of talent.

I believe you will qualify if you are in the top 10% at any race except special qualifiers, which qualify the top third of the field or so.

2012-08-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4359255

User image

New user
Athens, GA
wbattaile - 2012-08-12 11:24 AM

As stated, almost all triathlons in the US are sanctioned by USAT, including WTC branded races.  The "qualification" system is quite inconsistent, as it rewards you more for participating in the smallest local race (assuming you don't have a lot of great athletes racing your local event) rather than a larger race that attracts a lot of talent.

I believe you will qualify if you are in the top 10% at any race except special qualifiers, which qualify the top third of the field or so.

I believe this is exactly the case. I qualified in one of the Oly distance special qualifiers by being in the top 33%, but top 10% in a USAT race (which I haven't actually met) would also do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can someone explain to me the USAT Oly Nat Champs qualification? Rss Feed