General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
Highlands Ranch Race Series
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 5/124
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race early and got the outside spot in my transition rack (Always worth getting there early for. Double checked everything, from bike gearing to shoes loosened.
Event warmup:

Short run, and walk around of the transition area to look for anything that could affect my entrance or exit from transition.
Swim
  • 09m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have always done well in this swim. I know I can push hard for a 200-300 yard interval, run outside and do another interval and not get too tired. Also I love that this is a yards pool as I train in a meters pool, so I do swim a little faster.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Struggled a little to get my bike out of transition. Seems the person next to me had not racked his bike properly. I was only later that I found out he had been in a bad bike wreck. Only lost a second or two.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 29m 3s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride for me. I had ridden this route about 2 weeks ago @ 18mph, and felt that if I pushed I could be above 20mph. Because it has so much uphill riding, 20+ is awesome here. I also knew that since the last half is downhill, I could push early, push/fly down the back half, and my legs would be fine on the run.

Executed perfectly for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

When I got back to transition, the bike next to mine was now pushed all over the place, and I couldn't get my bike racked. Finally I just pushed everything out out of the way so I could get my bike racked. I made sure not to affect anyone elses area.

Nothing. Things happen, but I did lose probably 5-10 seconds because of the mess the person next to me had made.
Run
  • 30m 6s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good on this run. I've been running it a couple times with a friend of mine, and we normally ave 32-34 minutes, taking it pretty easy. I was hoping to break 30, so knew I had to run hard throughout.
After the first mile, I saw I had an 8:39 mile. Figured I would have about 9 for the first as my legs warm up. So that motivated me to pick it up. Second mile was about 9:14. Third was 8:27 and then it is downhill for the last 1/2 mile so I pushed it up to 6:56 pace for the last downhill section.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, then took a cold shower to cool down. That is where I saw the guy that had miss racked his bike, scrubbing road rash from his leg, hip and shoulder.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

I really like this race. I've done it 3 times and finished 3rd, 2nd and 1st in my AG. People are nice and the fact that it is close by make it easy for me.

This was my first AG win. I'm still in shock that I did it. Everything felt good and I can scratch one more thing off the bucket list.

Last updated: 2012-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:18 | 500 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 7/124
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: This is a unique swim. We actually swim in two different pools. 275 yrds in one then hop out go outside and do 225 in the other. Interesting, but it really works for me.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:03 | 10 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 5/124
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course, with the first 6 miles uphill and the last 4 sharply downhill. Fun course as the hills up and down are not really that bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:06 | 03.5 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 18/124
Performance:
Course: This is a looped course with 3 big hills. The hills seem to always be on loose gravel paths, while the rest of the run is on paved trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-12 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash Mash Dash Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed