General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 28s
Overall Rank = 237/305
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/44
Pre-race routine:

I got up early, checked all my gear one last time and headed to the race. I planned to be there for 05:30am and was right on time. I met my friends and we took tons of pics, set up our transition area and met some new friends.
Event warmup:

Went into the water and just did some warm up laps. The water was much colder than it had been in the previous days so I was glad we got in early.
Swim
  • 16m 37s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the hardest part for me. It was completely a mental thing. I convinced myself before the race that I was going to struggle with the swim and I did. This was crazy because the swim should have been my strongest event. I love to swim and used to swim in open water fairly frequently without any difficulty. Not sure why I got panicky in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Prepare more mentally and not convince myself that I'm going to have trouble.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Overall I thought this transition went excellent. We had to go up the beach, over a levy and back down into transition just to get to our stuff. I walked up the levy slower to let my heart rate come down after the swim and still managed to a pretty quick transition.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 41m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was pretty challenging. There were two bridges that we crossed twice, that I was not prepared for. I just started riding and training and had not done any on hills. The wind was also extremely strong. Overall, I think I did great for the unexpected obstacles. My speed was still slightly faster than my training speed. I was not expecting bridges so I was totally unprepared for that. Surprised myself how quickly I figured out some gearing changes though. Lessons learned.

Train for hills and check out the course ahead of time when possible. I also could have pushed the bike a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

This transition went well also. I purposely took a second just to relax. I also stopped at the water station before I realized it was just in front of the timing mats. So I really was out of T2 a little quicker than my time shows.

Nothing- this was my first tri and I wanted to savor and enjoy it.
Run
  • 40m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my weakest event ( well should have been- the swim was close though). I don't like to run (hate it actually) and have really just started training for it. Overall, I was satisfied with my run. I could have pushed it a little more.

A funny happened on the run as well. At the pre race talks they were adamant about no family/friends assisting you in anyway on the course- with food, drink, pacing etc. They were very clear that it would automatic dq and to please make sure your spectators knew. I didn't even think to say anything to my family because I never dreamed they'd do anything to try and assist me. As I was rounding the bend of the last 200 yds or less of the run my oldest dd jumps onto the course next to me and says I'm going to run with you for a little bit. I all but plowed her down pushing her off the course. I was so done at that point and couldn't wait to get to the finish line and when she did that all I could see was DQ! She poor thing had no idea why I was freaking out. When I explained it to her she almost had a heart attack thinking her actions could have gotten me DQ'd for pacing. We both actually cracked up laughing afterwards. At the time though I must have looked like a maniac shoving my daughter- hehe. We still laugh about it.

Not much. I hate to run so I'm just proud of myself for doing it.
Post race
Warm down:

Just milled about with my family and friends. I did get interviewed by the local paper because I was racing as a three time cancer survivor and racing as a part of Team Courage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have heart damage from my cancer treatments so I have to be very careful.

Event comments:

The race was awesome! Lots of support from volunteers, sponsors, workers, etc. Eastbank Cyclery guys were awesome! I wouldn't have gotten through the swim without their training clinic and support. Great post race breakfast. Excellent first tri.

Last updated: 2012-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:37 | 440 yards | 03m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/44
Overall: 260/305
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri top and shorts
Course: The course was pretty straight forward. We swam a U. Out to the first turn, then parallel to the shore to the second turn and then back in to the shore. It was a great course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:21 | 10 miles | 14.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/44
Overall: 188/305
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was pretty challenging. I was expecting pancake flat so the bridges were a big surprise.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:07 | 03.1 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/44
Overall: 214/305
Performance: Average
Course: The course was pretty challenging. There were a few inclines and a bridge to cross twice. It was pretty hot and humid also.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-12 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon

2012-08-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4359356

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon

Sorry about this old report being here. I accidentally deleted it the other day when adding a new race in and so I had to redo the entire thing. It automatically added it here and I don't know how to delete a post.

Shelly

2012-11-20 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4359358

Subject: RE: Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon
I enjoyed reading it.  I, too, am a survivor and I sort of muddle through these tris, just because I love doing them.  Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl New Orleans Women's Triathlon Rss Feed