General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
The YWCA of Minneapolis
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 16s
Overall Rank = 539/967
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 96/173
Pre-race routine:

Decided to stick with my usual breakfast: had a bowl of oatmeal & cup of coffee then a hard boiled egg on the drive in. About an hour before the race I chowed down a chocolate stinger. Love those.
Event warmup:

Not really much of a warm up. It was chilly so I wasn't about to get in the water then get out again and be cold. A few stretches. No nerves. I felt relaxed and ready to get on with it.
Swim
  • 14m 55s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great waiting for the start. My family busted out signs for me as I was in the holding area. The one that said "SWIM BIKE RUN GO MAMMA" with pictures of our basset hounds made me laugh really hard, so it was a great way to start the race.

Terribly slow for the swim, but I knew that going in. My goal was to be under 15 minutes, so I'll take it. I was able to keep my heart rate steady and didn't feel panicky at all. Just slow. I think I could have been a bit better was was constantly stymied by a woman in front of me who swam zigzag the entire route, trying to course correct. That was frustrating. I bumped into her several times. I wasn't fast enough to get around her for good. The one time I did, she came back and cut in front and back to zigzag. Did some on my back, some breaststroke.
What would you do differently?:

Considering I was taking adult swim lessons June 23rd, this was OK. Obviously lots of room for improvement, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm giving it an average because even though I was slow, I was pleased that I kept it positive, kept my heart rate & breathing under control and finished strong.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Coming out of the water & up onto the beach I passed several people who were walking--I was running. I remember thinking "it's a race!" My partner yelled "HTFU" at me as I went by so that was awesome.

I sort of whiffed my first shot jumping on the pedals. Still Ok, though. No problem getting my tank on over the sports bra I swam in. No other problems, I think I was just a bit slow to make sure I didn't forget anything.
Bike
  • 56m 41s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 16.41 mile/hr
Comments:

More time on the bike will get me where I want to be. I didn't want to go too hard and not have any left for the run, but I was very conscious that I wanted to finish the bike in under and hour so I'd need to average at least 15.5 mph. About 4 miles in I realized I forgot to put my gloves on--they were still in my phone holder on the stem. I just skipped them at that point. Was please with speeds I was able to get during the race. Made sure to stretch out near the end and that was really helpful in unwinding my legs for the run.

More miles, fast & slow, and interval work will help me get my speed up. More experience running off the bike will give me a better idea how hard I can push it. Overall, though, I was happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

The flying dismount was probably the highlight of the day. Came in at a decent pace, brought my right leg over, balanced on the left pedal, hit the dismount line then jumped off & hit the ground running. The volunteer watching gave me a big " Awesome job." So that felt really good. I was lucky it was a short run to my rack. Quick change to the running shoes, got race belt & hat, and then took a second to think "really, is that it? Do I have everything?" And headed out.

Not much.
Run
  • 30m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting the run I heard a voice I didn't know say 'Go Christy!," I gave a wave and then heard "Go BT!" Thank you! That was great!

The run felt pretty good. I found a good song in my head to keep me company during the first mile when it was sucking. I knew if I could keep running to the mile & half part then I would keep running to the finish. Had a bit of a stitch, slowed down a bit then picked up the pace when it went away. Paid a lot of attention to exhaling. with a mile left I picked up the pace because hey, there's only a mile left. I finished really strong, so I was happy about that.

In retrospect, I wish I would have gone harder earlier. But I met my goal for the run split so I really can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. Lots of walking around

Event comments:

Great support from the volunteers who were very energetic & enthusiastic. Looking forward to doing this again next year. Great overall vibe at the race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:55 | 500 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 149/173
Overall: 166/967
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Trapezoid: 150 out; 200 across; 150 in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:41 | 15.5 miles | 16.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 113/173
Overall: 634/967
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Relatively flat with a couple hills and what felt like a longish incline between mile 11-12 I think.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/173
Overall: 539/967
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, bike trail, with a short (about half-mile total) out & back along the Cedar Ave. bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-13 9:54 AM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon

2012-08-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4360439

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon
GREAT report and congratulations.  I've been waiting to read this.  Congrats on learning to swim!!!!!!!!!! and doing your 1st tri!
2012-08-13 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4360463

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon

Awesome!   I am so impressed with your swim, just having learned. And wow - a flying dismount?  I am too chicken to even attempt that at home without anyone watching.  

Overall a great race!  I am glad we ran into each other.  You have a lot to be proud of!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA of Minneapolis Women's Triathlon Rss Feed