New York City, New York
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 13h 35m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Long time reader of everybody’s post the last few years and this is hopefully the first of many race reports to come out!!!

Rode the bike (with transition gear) from the Sheraton on Friday for, and then took the ferry back, got caught in a massive downpour of rain while heading out, but I got to see the run course and the logistics of the ferry terminals for the race, went back to the hotel and had dinner with the family and then went up to the room to rest at 8pm, got all my morning gear set-up . Read parts of Macca’s book and tried to fall asleep given how early we need to be up the next day, not sure what time I finally dozed off but the Fire alarm went off on our floor at ~11:30, what a way to start the day, after that I could not fall asleep, I was awake until 1:40 before I finally just out of bed for good at 2:20 to get ready.

Had a bagel on the bus ride from hotel to the ferry terminal, got some last minute stuff done on the bike and sipped water/power aid until we had to get on the ferry to bring us from transition to swim start, I was able to get on the first ferry of the day

Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 53m 27s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The days before the swim where most stressful as to whether we were going to swim or not, I really wanted to get the swim in to be a complete Ironman and luckily we were able to get in the water, the current was awesome to swim with, 53 minute swim (my fastest half Ironman time was 42 minutes :)), the point to point swim was easy for sitting with keeping the bouyies on the left and the shore line on the right, the water was hard to see a few inches in front of you and got worse as you headed to closer to the barge as the current bounced off the barge and caused the bottom of the Hudson to turn over and right in your face…
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 08m
Comments:

Not much help other than someone having someone give me my bag, no help to get my bike, other than someone at the end of the bike rack telling us which rack our bike were at, took my time to get bike shorts on and lube up before setting off to make everything was all set.

I could go a lot faster but given my this is my 1st Full Distance I wanted to make sure everything was OK
Bike
  • 6h 59m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice hill coming out of transition, and a good hill around mile 44 but overall bike course was constantly either going up or down, with no flat sections, biggest part that sucked for me on the bike course was my Garmin (910TX) was acting up and had me off by 10 miles by the end (never had a problem with it before, so I blame the Hudson water :), my goal was to hit 16mph for this segment and it was spot on, I went out pretty hard in the first half since it was cool and had cloud cover, but once the sun came out I back-off the pace to keep from overheating as I was starting to get hot and still had the Marathon to complete

nothing I spent the entire year working on my endurance only and no speed work so overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome
Transition 2
  • 14m
Comments:

Wow!!! Somebody took my bike as soon as I got to transition so that was cool to not worry about racking the bike, got my bag and had a hard time opening it, got my running shoes on, and was starting to run out the door and realized I forgot my biking shorts on so had to go back and put them in the bag…

Could be a lot fast but just took my time to get everything in order
Run
  • 5h 18m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

was looking to get ~11:00-11:30/mile for the first part of run given the hills and previous issues with my IT band and then picking it up on the last half, was doing great until mile 3 when my right hamstring tightened up and had to deal with it all the way to the finish, so basically did a walk/run depending on the steepness of the hill and stopped every so often to keep the hamstring loose, overall I was pretty pleased with the run as other than my hamstring everything else worked great and the IT band held out for the entire run and finished pretty strong for the race, I was 10 minutes faster than my stand alone Marathon time from last year given the IT band problems I had, so it felt really good to beat that time and come out relatively unscathed.

Mile splits below, my overall moving pace (when not going to the restroom or stretching my hamstring was 11:30/mile)

1 11:18.1
2 11:18.1
3 11:12.7
4 12:08.4
5 13:57.7
6 12:05.1
7 11:25.8
8 10:49.8
9 12:13.2
10 12:14.8
11 12:22.1
12 11:53.0
13 12:34.7
14 12:29.8
15 12:37.5
16 15:05.3
17 10:38.3
18 12:02.3
19 12:14.6
20 11:44.4
21 11:48.1
22 12:55.3
23 13:48.6
24 12:01.1
25 13:43.0
26 11:37.3

work on my running but overall pretty pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

had chocolate milk and about half a slice of pizza couldn't really eat anything

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, everybody asked me what my goal time was and I kept saying this is my first Full and my goal is just to finish and learn from it, my unspoken goal time was 14 hours based on doing a half iron last year of 6hr24min, doubling it and adding an hour and my stretch goal was 13 hours. I learned a lot from the race and what I need to work on the future but I’m ready looking forward to my next full distance race, haven’t decided if it will be next year or the year after but it will be coming

Event comments:

I had a great time at the event and I know logistically it was a nightmare, there are a few things that can be done a lot better but given the circumstances and all the stuff going on it went off well. This course is definitely not a for spectators, I told my family a long time ago I’m not paying for ferry tickets, go see a show on Broadway instead and I’ll meet you at the finish line. The bike course was nicely closed off for the cyclist but hard for spectators to get to, other than the finish line the best crowd was just off the GW bridge, and after that not many people around, even at the park we went through had a bunch of families from the local communities having parties etc.. and had no idea what was going on, someone asked me if we were running for charity. While other people would just walk right in front of you trying to get to the other side of the park.

Host hotel was OK but I expected more, like banners or something showcasing the Ironman event so people knew, but no such luck, and the fire alarm didn’t help matter.

The highlight of the weekend for me was not only finishing but being in the roll-down the next day and finding out a fellow club member (PeakTriCoaching) qualified for Kona!!! Congrates Colin!!

One bad thing is that my run transition bag (containing all my bike gear - helmet, shoes) was lost and hasn't been found yet.. [Update] bag has been found

Till the next race

Chris

Last updated: 2012-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:27 | 4224 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:59:26 | 112 miles | 16.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 14:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:18:00 | 26.2 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-13 2:08 PM

Subject: Ironman U.S. Championship

2012-08-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4361041

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship
Congrats! Ironman.  I was at mile 20 station and would have been there when you came by .
2012-08-13 2:32 PM

User image

New user

A-T-L
Ironman #10 for me.

I concur with many of your observations.

1) Banquet / athlete briefing - ran long as hell, didn't get back to the hotel 'til late. And since I was trying to maintain a 3am wake-up schedule, the later this ran the worse it was. And the briefing was... minimal at best. Leave out the jokes and banter, brief us and move on. And start on time.

2) Ironman highly encouraged us to ride our bikes to transition. I think I was one of 5 idiots who did that. Not marked AT ALL (and the map said turn on a street that was not marked on the bike path, hence another 3 miles of riding for me) Inconvenient as heck. TAKE THE FERRY TO TRANSITION, DO NOT RIDE THERE.

3) Swim - actually, not that bad - I was the second person off the 1st barge, so it was cool. Having to get up at 3am to catch the 4 am ferry, to then wait 1 hour in transition to leave to the swim start... not so much fun. Fast course, easy to navigate - I'm a right side breather so it was nice to not stare into the sun for part of the course (utah among others) Favorite swim course? No, but for racing, pretty good. For sight seeing, it was no Florida (I hear coz in november is gonna be awesome).

4) Transition. I got to the tent fairly early (1st set of swimmers in the water, 58min swim time) and the volunteers didnt seem to have much direction. I've done inaugurals at texas and utah, and both had volunteers much more engaged. I echo the posters comments about being told "Take your bags over there, no we dont have any tape, I can't get you water." Athletes just starting helping each other ( i gave away butt'r and my wiping towel).

I will say the volunteers were trying, but understaffed. Just need more volunteers at the sight. (Or maybe take some of the $1200 dollars for next year and pay some people a few bucks)

5) Bike course - tough, but not a MFer like utah, actually quite fair. I'm a big fat guy and got my butt kicked appropriately by the course. But I didn't feel victimized like in utah, or slapped around like Placid. On par with Wisconsin for me, though a different ride.

6) Run course. I never saw a single sponge. I saw many on the ground, but not one damn sponge for me to wipe with. Not sure why they ran out of them so quick... (I hit the run course well before cut off, and the tables were there for two loops, so there's really no excuse for zero sponges for the entire run.)

That said, the run course, though another butt kicker, was safe, clean, etc. Just like the bike, I was never worried about my safety, injuries etc. (swim course too for that matter, they kept all non race related boat traffic to damn near zero. well done on that account.)

7) Medical tent - unfortunately, I got to visit there - well done!

8) Tri Bike Transport Valet Sevice. BEGIN RANT MODE. I paid several month prior to the race for bike valet. I got the bike drop off and had to wait in line again to check my bike in, were they verified our numbers. This added a ton of time to drop off, standing around etc. Really poor. Add 2 more people to the check in tent, instead of two people working their off - or come up with a more efficient system. (Ironman also took pictures for "security." Yeah right - just be honest and say it's market research / data collection to sell to bike manufacturers. We can handle the truth. Nobody matched my bike picture with the bike when I eventually got it back.)

I went at 8:45 to pick up my bike on Sunday. No bike. 10 am, no bike. 12 pm - no bike, "but we're bringing the rest now." 1:15 finally got my bike and bags, after payign another $30 bucks for parking and getting on the road 4 hours after I planned. I would have been better served picking it up myself.

The reason? "we didnt get our 30 volunteers". KISS MY GRITS. We paid $50 bucks. Times 2000 people (conservatively) that's $100,000. Take $6000 of that, pay 30 people 200 bucks for the night, and get the damn bikes back to pier 92 when promised. I've used TBT 3 times, and love them. Valet service sucks. I won't be doing it again next year.

That's right, I'm in for a second time... told you I hit the medical tent.

6:30 start / 15.5 cutoff. 1200 bucks. There wont be a third time for this race for me!

Edited by rahlowjenkins 2012-08-13 2:42 PM
2012-08-13 5:07 PM

User image

Congratulations Ironman!

What were you wearing? I crossed at 13:37, depending on when you got in the water it is possible we passed each other in that final mile!

Kelly

2012-08-14 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4361398

I crossed at ~13:39...wearing my Navy cycling Shirt Laughing
2012-08-14 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Congrats Ironman!  I am extremely impressed with your effort and execution!  That was a real bummer about the fire alarm the night before, but what are you gonna do?  That also sticks about your Garmin messing up!  I don't know whats up with that.  I didn't have an issues with mine.

I'd be interested to see your splits on the run, but it looks like you were pretty darn close to hitting goal pace for the run.  That is NOT easy to do, especially on your first IM.  I was looking for you on the run and I'm glad we crossed paths.  I wish I could have given you a little bit more encouragement, but I was kinda in the zone.  

I'm pumped to hear you're planning to do another IM in the future.  Its a very good sign that you're saying that this close to finishing your first.  

Thanks for the shout out in your great race report!    

Its been great seeing you at the pool and I hope to see you soon.  But way to go man!  You represented NEMS very well and you should be very proud of yourself!  

2012-08-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4362764

I've added the mile splits for the run in the report... for the bike the Garmin had me going a max speed of 89 MPH, that was fun, only if it was real!!!
2012-08-14 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Congrats on the IM.  If was a tough course for sure but tons of fun.  Good luck in the future.
2012-08-14 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Great report and congrats on the strong race - sounds like you handled the adversity well and had the right attitude. That's the first I heard about a fire alarm at the race hotel, but it seems fitting given all the other out-of-race challenges with this event. I hope next year happens and you get your chance to do it again.
2012-08-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4363645

thanks...the fire alarm was only a few specific floors, I was on the 41st floor, not sure how many other floors had the issues as I asked someone the next day how they enjoyed the fire alarm and they said "what alarm"
2012-08-15 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4361092

User image

Thanks for your honesty...And wait? They didnt have 30 volunteers??? My friend wanted to volunteer and she kept coming back to the volunteer table at Pier 92 and they kept telling her they were all set. She wanted to sign up for next year and the only onsite registration was for volunteers. Interesting.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman U.S. Championship Rss Feed