General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-13 3:07 PM

Subject: newbie
My name is Laurie. I have been a runner for years, completing many half and full marathons. I have always wanted to do a triathlon amd have set a goal to do one in the spring. So, I am just getting started. Right now, I have a mountain bike that I have been riding because I dont want to spend a lot of money on a tri bike if I dont like it. Any suggestions for how to get started?

2012-08-14 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4361170

User image

Alexandria
Subject: RE: newbie

Laurie,

I had the same reservations when I started doing triathlons a few years ago.  You don't need to spend a lot of money to get started.  I bought a used road bike w/aerobars and used it for my first few races until I caught the Tri bug, then I wanted until the end of the season when everything went on sale.  I would suggest picking/following one of the BT training plans, because it really makes it easy to train when you don't have to spend too much time planning.  Best of luck to you!

John

2012-08-14 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Welcome to an addicive sport!

In the smaller tri's you will see mountain bikes, road bikes and tri bikes.  My suggestion is to get proficient on your mountain bike, do a sprint tri with it, then if you enjoy the sport, search for a bike you like and there will be an enormous amount of speed increase but to get started go ahead and use your mountain bike.  You already have the run down, you didn't mention the swim so if you are not comfortable with that, really focus on getting comfortable in the water (that is my weakness).

This is an excellent site and most people here are very helpful.

Edited by KWDreamun 2012-08-14 8:22 AM
2012-08-15 1:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely going to try a few with my mountain bike before buying anything. I actually am a fairly good swimmer and have a Y swimming membership so that won't be too much of an issue, it is really the biking that I am scared about.
2012-08-15 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
I highly recommend a women-only triathlon for your first one.  I did the Danskin one in Massachusetts as my first one.  I did the backstroke for the swim and a mtb for the bike portion.   I had a blast! and slowly over time, I took swim lessons and bought a used road bike.   Don't let the equipment psych you out.  Besides, you can load up your Xmas list with triathlon gadgets! 
2012-08-17 3:47 PM

User image

Expert

Lauriep717 - 2012-08-13 3:07 PM My name is Laurie. I have been a runner for years, completing many half and full marathons. I have always wanted to do a triathlon amd have set a goal to do one in the spring. So, I am just getting started. Right now, I have a mountain bike that I have been riding because I dont want to spend a lot of money on a tri bike if I dont like it. Any suggestions for how to get started?

Hi Laurie - Welcome to BT!  I followed the same route as you (I was a runner and found that my knees hurt less when I broke up the running with some biking and swimming) and have fallen in love with Triathlon.  I wish the same for you.

I'd check out the free plans on this site.  I also like the ones at Tri Newbies: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp

Pick a plan and build up your volume.  The thing that most people need the most help on is the swim portion.  Try to take a couple of lessons at your Y or sign up for a masters swim class to work on your stroke.  You will ready to go in the spring!  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie Rss Feed