Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
17C / 63F
Total Time = 2h 54m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

This is going to be rather long, as I regret not having written more for myself about my races in the past. I guess I figured I would remember the details since there were only 4 and all in 2004 - but I don't.

My last tri was July/04 - so it was fun to pull my 'tri box' out and see all the remnants from that race season. Wow, I was organized in my previous life! My lists, instructions and miscelaneous stuff were still in there, so freshened things up, just followed my directions and got my stuff ready the day before (which turned out to be a really good thing!).

I had decided the week before the race to do the Oly instead of the Sprint and my only two goals were: 1. Enjoy it because it's all just for fun, so simply take what ever happens in stride. 2. Go as hard and as steady as I could, for as long as I could and see what happens.

Sleep - my youngest son was out Sat night with a friend and his parent at a skateboarding event and were to be home about 1030pm. Since my folks were here visiting, I went to bed about 10 as my mum would still be up when he got home. At 12am she wakes me up to say he still is not home. True Panic - complicated, but tracked him down. Couldn't sleep much after that. Up at 5 again, so I would have time to have my coffee without any ill effects during the race!

I was feeling a little guilty for even going to the race in the first place, as there was alot of stuff happening Sunday morning and with me being gone and not accessable by phone made it very complicated (much less with my youngest now not even being home - and me leaving too early to call and speak to him or to his friend's parents and explain what/where/how everyone would be or to sort out what happened the night before!). Then I discovered Sun morning that the phone line had been dead since mid Sat eveing (hence the confusion with my son). Figured that was the end of my race that day, as there was no way could I leave the kids and all the coordinating of people/activities with out them having a phone. Fortunately, fifteen minutes on my cell phone with the phone company and we got it working again - phew. So a 'bye to my parents who were flying back home that morning, a note to drop off for my son ... and I just left the house, hoping I had organized everything properly the night before. I knew I had the essentials and the rest was not worth fretting about. I left with a smile and grinned the whole way to the park.

Coffee, bagel with pb (managed to eat only about 1/3 of it) on the way and a glass of raspberry Ultima. No problems setting up transition or checking in. I forgot the straw for my aerobottle - so I only had the one bottle with watered down gatorade for the ride. Oh well.
Some guy, with poor race etiquette, came in during the prerace meeting and squeezed his bike in beside mine (despite lots of room a few racks over), so I hastily rearranged my stuff and consequently messed up my T1 and T2 abit.

Aside from insuring the boys were taken care of - none of this stuff even perturbed me. Race days used to be a real stress - what a pleasure this was!
Event warmup:

A few minutes swim, then a 15 min delay. I was both yawning and shivering despite the wetsuit. All the Oly participants started together.
Swim
  • 29m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have some OWS race experience, and I am very comfortable in the water, yet I was still taken by surprise at the swirl arms and legs in my face and hitting me. I slowed and pulled to the side to get some space, and try to get some deep breaths - the new wetsuit is more constricting than the last one. My arms felt heavy - I need to play with the new wet suit some more. Settled in near the end of the first lap and just swam and thought "You are racing again girl - your first one in your new life, and with your old name" and I felt good.:)
What would you do differently?:

Get used to my new wetsuit. I'm pleased that I didn't let the swim upset me in the least, either while it was happening or later.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 are both in the bike time.

Wetsuit came off ok (I know I need to sit down to take my legs out). Remembered to put on chapstick, but forgot the tire tube pouch. For some reason I couldn't fit everything into my seat bag the night before, so decided to use a strap on pouch for the tube.
I was wearing a one peice tri suit I bought after my last tri, so it was alot easier to not have to add/subtract clothes in T1 or T2.

Tell the guy who crammed his bike in to go somewhere else so I didn't have to move everything at the last minute.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this was my weak area, and just wanted to do the best I could. Decided early on that if I did flat, I would walk it back to T1 and change the tire if I was close enough, and then return and finish the race - DFL does not bother me. If I was at the far end of the loop...well, I'd figure it out when it happened. I had my expresso gel (treat for race day from the HUGE bottle of raspberry hammer gel I have and am getting pretty sick of!)once I settled in, and then I had another treat on the last lap Iwith a Vanila orange Carb boom (which gave me a big smile b/c I was instantly transported to being a 9 yo on the airforce base at the outdoor pool having a cremecycle with my childhood sweetheart and sisters.) I was having fun doing this tri stuff again!

I found it really interesting how nothing was upsetting me. After living through the past years, it is truly "just a race" to me, and in comparison to other issues in life, it is easily dismissable if it doesn't go well. I am regaining the desire to challenge myself in training, but wonder if I have lost that level of determination that is necessary to complete the 1/2 IM or IM I had planned. My dad laughs at that idea though, which is reassuring. (lol- only a parent will recall your first sentence "me do it myself" and throw it back at you the rest of your life!. I guess only time will tell.

Nothing really - forgetting the tube just showed me that I would not get flustered over silly errors, and although my bike training had been limited going into the race, there was not really anything I could have changed about that in the previous months anyway.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had taken my hair tie out on the bike since it was sitting in an uncomfortable place from my swim, and was almost out of T2 when I realized I didn't have my hair tied back. I decided to run back for it rather than deal with hair in my face while running, and had to look around a bit for it (or the extra one I had brought) before I remembered it was on my wrist already!

Put my ponytail low enough so it can go from swim cap to helmet to the run. Practice the buttons I need to push to get my splits off my hrm - I messed up each leg, and had to pause twice to get my foot pod on b/c I forgot in T2
Run
  • 55m 45s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were ok considering I didn't let up much on the bike - yet I don't care for short loops in the bike or run. Also, I am always surprised by how loud my breathing is, as my mp3 usually drowns it out in training! Checked my runnng form several times - it felt right which I was pleased with.

The hardest point was the turn around for the second loop - it seemed so far to still go. Consciously moved my thoughts from the negative to other more positive things and considered it practice for the marathon in Sept. It worked I guess since I finished. Had some kick for the last portion. And I got to hear my old/new Family name when I crossed the line - that was very cool!

more bricks and training.
Post race
Warm down:

I first off went to check my cell phone to be sure morning had gone alright with the kids and found a voice message from my sister that Jake had called her - as he was leaving for his basketball game the big wooden back door had fallen completely off it's hinges! (long story :)) Glad I had not known about it before I started to race - as they handled the situation just fine and it proved to me that I really can take a deep breath and let go of the hypervigilance I have lived with the past years.

One advantage to being slow is that is is not a long wait for the awards ceremony (and I wanted to win a particular silent auction prize - but didn't) so I put away my stuff, got changed, had some fruit and water and sat in the sun and people watched till they were ready to start the announcments.

I placed second (of three of us!) in my age category, so got a certificate. The first place woman came in almost 1/2 hr before me. The guy with the overal best time in the Oly was the boys KOS swim coach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of room to improve - mostly need more time on the bike and getting used to running in the warmer weather. I anticipate with more swims in my wetsuit, the heavy arm feeling and constriction around my neck won't be an issue anymore.

Event comments:

Met both my goals! First tri race in 2 years .... and considering that in 'O4 I did 2 sprints and a foilman before attempting the Oly, I am happy that I started with the Oly and completed it feeling positive. :)

I should have, but didn't, anticipate that this race would stir up many old memories and emotions. The journey is far more than a 1.5k swim, 40k bike, and 10k run ... and I am grateful and joyful to be standing at this new place.

Last updated: 2006-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: orca sonar
Course: 2 rectangular loops of a lake
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:31 | 25 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 4 out and back loops, hilly (for the prairies anyway!)
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:45 | 06.2 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 4 loops of an out and back, small hills, tightly packed gravel - nice surface.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: Triple Threat Tri

2006-06-12 4:13 PM
in reply to: #451244

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Triple Threat Tri
Congratulations Sann! It sounds like this was quite a personal journey for you and you still did fine in the physical world too. Nice race and report!
2006-06-12 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis

Great race and report, Sann. Congrats on getting back into the racing saddle again. The tri has missed you!

Way to go taking home the hardware, too. Wow, silver in your first race back. Stellar!

2006-06-13 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

CHEERS TO 'STANDING IN A NEW PLACE'!!!! TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE CONGRATS!!

LOL..I CANT BELIEVE THE GUTS YOU HAVE TO TAKE ON AN OLY AS YOU FIRST RACE!!! WONDERFUL!! 

2006-06-14 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Wow, Sann, welcome back to tri-land!!!  Outstanding achievement, racing the Oly and knocking it down without second thought.  And your morning sounded, ummm, complicated, so extra kudos to you. 

The mental game of tri will come back to you with practice....you're going to have an EXCELLENT season. 

2006-06-14 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
"Racing again..old/new name ..new life.."and a smile ..YES! Much satisfaction in taking on Oly, dealing with all the details of daily/parent ... life, recognizing the joy & accomplishment of racing without the stress of "performance"...and the journey to get to this place, this moment.Doesn't get any better than this. Congratulations .

2006-06-15 6:22 AM

User image

Winnipeg
great job sann....still think you're ready for the 1/2 ironman, everything looks strong!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Threat Tri Rss Feed