World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 48m 7s
Overall Rank = 55/2146
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/279
Pre-race routine:

Got into town on Thursday afternoon and got checked into the hotel and the race. The expo was pretty nice and they had some cool stuff. My wife couldn't come with me because she had her step brother's wedding on Saturday, but my Mom came with me on Thursday. I got my mom in a pair of the recovery boots at the expo which was pretty funny. I should have gotten a picture of that. :) I also had some ART work done on my hip which was nice.

There was also a lot of stir about whether the swim was going to be canceled or not. I saw my friend Tim who is the organizer of the swim for Ironman so I tried to pry some information out of him on whether the swim would happen or not, but I wasn't able to get much out of him.

Besides that, I just tried to rest as much as possible building up to the race. I drove my bike down to transition the day before and dropped off my bags. Finally at around 4pm on Friday, we found out the swim was on, which I was very happy about.

I went to bed a little after 8 the night before the race and got some decent sleep in, but I had to be up at 3am to catch the ferry.
Event warmup:

No warm at all. It wasn't possible to swim warm up because as soon as you got off the ferry, it was race time.
Swim
  • 45m 42s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ended up being on the last ferry. There was a lot of speculation that the tide/current was going to increase as time went on so a lot of people were deliberately getting on the last boat. However, this was not the case for me. There was a huge line of people standing in line waiting to get on a ferry. I felt no need to stand in a huge line when I could sit on the side and rest my legs as much as possible so I waited.

The swim went really well once I got in the water. I almost jumped on a woman getting in because she popped up out of nowhere right when I was jumping in. That would not have been a great way to start the day.

The entire swim was very uneventful. I did pass a lot of people, but because of the time trial start, there wasn't nearly as much contact as a typical IM. The water was a bit murky so there were a few times that I bumped into the back of people, but I would just move over and be on my way.

The only issue I had was my damn goggles kept taking in water. I had never had that issue with the goggles I used, but that was a drag. I had to flip over to my back at least 6-7 times to empty the water out. However, with it being a point to point swim, I wasn't as concerned about being able to see and just dealt with the water being in my eyes. I'm just keeping my I don't end up with pink eye from it. :)

As I approached the end of the swim the water got super murky. You could stand quite a ways from the actual swim exit so a lot of people were waddling there way along, but I swam as close as I could.

As always, I did my best to take it easy during the swim and definitely felt I achieved that. It was fun seeing the buoys go flying by and I really enjoyed this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Picked up some new goggles at the expo after the race. The leaking goggles will be retired.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

T1 was a bit different than normal for me. Since I started the swim 20-25 minutes behind a lot of people, the transition was much more crowded than I'm used to it being. There were a lot of people just sitting on the ground outside of the changing tent. I'm figured it was probably super crowded in there and I decided to take my chances. I was able to find a chair in a good spot and even got a volunteer to take my bag right away. I found my bike with no problem at all and took it right out to the mount line. The mount line was pretty busy as well, but I didn't have any problem with traffic at the line.

I'm happy with this one.
Bike
  • 5h 26m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The only significant climb came right out of transition, which isn't ideal, but I really focused on keeping my power down and not going out too hard. My heart rate was a bit higher than I wanted to be, but I just tried to relax. There was a lot of traffic on that climb, but I was able to make my way past a lot of people without and issues, but did have to call out "on your left" quite a bit. At the top of the hill, I saw one of my clients Bryant as he yelled to me which was a nice pick me up. After that, it was onto the rolling palisades parkway. They completely shut off one side of it so you went out in one lane of the highway and back down the other. There was a lot of traffic and some people were weaving onto the other lane to go around people, but for the most part it wasn't too bad. However, I did pass a ton of people on the way out. I really focused on my power and trying to keep it even on the continuous uphills and downhills. There was a nice tailwind for most of the first way out which was nice and really helped get the average pace up after starting off with the big climb. Besides, the first lap was rather uneventful. I just focused on staying within myself and my taking in lots of fluids and the rest of my nutrition. There was a bit of a headwind on the way back, but it wasn't too bad. I kept myself entertained by giving praise to people that I passed or passed me. There were some very nice bikes out there that I commented on. But, I'm still baffled by how many people just don't even respond to me. I think its pretty funny actually.

Everything was going great as I started to approach the special needs station which was setup at a gas station right off the highway. I'm riding on the right side of the road like I should be and had no intentions of going to the special needs area (I didn't even have a special needs bag), but all of the sudden this guys flys up to a little in front of me and just starts cutting in to me! My reaction was immediately to yell "What the fuck!" and the guy swerved back over a little bit, but it forced me to have to ride into the special needs area. At that point, I've got these volunteers telling me a need to slow down which did not make me too happy. I cruised through there and was back on my way, but that could have gotten ugly and I don't know what the heck that guy was thinking.

The second loop was pretty much more of the same. I stunk to the gameplan and didn't push it too hard. I did pick up the effort level a little, but not too much. However, the winds and the heat did seem to pick up a bit on the second loop. I was able to pee 3 times throughout the bike which I knew was a really good sign considering how hot and humid it was. The wind slowed me down on the way back to town, but luckily we had the downhill back into transition to shake the legs out and still increase the averaged speed for my bike.

Since I wasn't able to ride the course before hand, I really didn't want to set a time goal for the bike. However, in the back of my mind, I was thinking sub 5:30. I pretty much nailed it!

I'm pretty happy with my bike split. There is definitely room for improvement on my bike, but I was happy with my plan and execution.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Pretty happy with T2, but it could have been a little better. When I sat down and opened my bag to grab my shoes, my left shoe was untied. I don't know how the heck that happened. Granted I'm sure it only cost me about 5 seconds, but I didn't understand how it came untied. I don't think I've had to tie those laces since the first time I got them.

Not much. Hopefully my shoes will stay tied in my transition bag next time.
Run
  • 3h 30m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

"Bike for show and run for dough," right? Well that was my strategy for this race. I knew the run course was going to be tough and wanted to make sure my body was ready for it. I knew the first 16 miles or so was completely rolling and I needed to pace myself probably and keep on trucking through. After that the course would be pretty flat so I would have the most difficult miles behind me.

As I left transition, I felt terrific. There is a steep climb right out of the gate and I went up it with ease. My goal was to keep around an 8 min pace for the first 6 miles and then go from there. I also wanted to keep my cadence up and make sure I was getting in plenty of fluids. I typically took in 2 cups of perform and tossed as much water on me as I could at each aid station. Although it was hilly, it was nice that most of this section of the run was in the shade. It was still very hot, but it could have been worse if it was out in the open. Here are my splits for the first 6 miles:

Mile 1: 8:01
2: 7:59
3: 7:53
4: 8:03
5: 7:33
6: 8:06

I continued to feel great at the 6 mile point, but decided I should stick to around a 8:00 min pace. As I approached the turnaround to start the 2 loop inside the park, I was feeling very optimistic. Basically everything stayed the same, but there were more people on the course when I was doing my 2nd loop. Lots of people were walking the hills, but I kept pushing throughout. Here are splits for the next 9 miles, which point me through the 2nd loop inside the park.

Mile 7: 7:46
8: 7:40
9: 8:07
10: 7:47
11: 7:56
12: 7:28
13: 8:21
14: 8:02
15: 8:02

Mile 16 was tough. It included a steep climb out out on the street to the George Washington and included a couple rounds of stair climbs. I handled them pretty well, but they were tough. When you exited the park, there was no longer the shade of the trees from the sun so it was really hot. Mile 16 was 9:31, but I'm not sure how the GPS handled the stair climbs. I did slow down a little bit, but definitely not significantly.

As I crossed the George Washington bridge, I was starting to get pretty tired. However, its super windy on the bridge so the wind was actually kinda nice. I could also see a few other competitors out in front of my and I was gaining on them pretty fast which I figured was a good sign. Throughout the entire run, I just continued to pass people. It was hard to tell how many people I passed, but I only recall 1 or 2 people passing me the entire run.

As I went down the stairs from the bridge, they had the whole street blocked off and there was a decent amount of crowd support. Since I hadn't run this part of the course yet, I was pretty pumped and was hoping that the rest of the run was going to be like this. That wasn't the case, but oh well. As soon as took the next turn, I heard my brother and my parents yelling for me which was totally unexpected and awesome! It was the first Ironman my brother had come to it was so nice to see them and it definitely gave me a good lift.

The rest of the run was along running paths through the park. Some of it was along the Hudson which was very windy. There was some crowd support, but not as much as I expected. The course just kinda wound around and wasn't always sure where the heck I was going. This made it tough because I was really starting to hurt and just had to dig super deep to keep running. My cadence was starting to drop, but I really focused on shortening my strides and that really helped. The aid stations seemed to be stretched out a bit more and I think they were only every 1.5 miles if not further apart which stunk. I would notice my pace start to fade and then I'd be able to pick it up again after I got some more fluids in me. Nonetheless, I just kept on running. I knew I was in contention for a Kona slot and just kept thinking about how hard I had worked to get to that point and knew I could push on for a little longer. I played that mind game with myself for probably the last hour and half or so of the run.

One guy that I had passed earlier did come up and pass me with about 2 miles to go. I tried to hang with him, but didn't want to blow myself up. However, he did motivate me to pick the pace a bit. Here are my splits for the miles after the bridge:

Mile 17: 8:40 (included some more stairs)
18: 8:02
19: 8:08
20: 8:27
21: 8:47
22: 8:52
23: 8:57
24: 8:20
25: 8:09
26: 7:28

As I approached the end, my Dad was waiting at the top of the last little hill and told me I only had a few hundred yards left. Since it was a time trial start, I knew every second couple count so I pushed it as hard as I could. Here is a link to a video my brother took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWErErOYpU&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...

Really happy with my run. I faded a bit towards the end, but I'll take it. I would like to get my cadence up, but I'll take it.
Post race
Warm down:

I had nothing left at the finish. The volunteers had to hold me up and walk with me for a while. Eventually I got to a chair and was able to sit down with my parents and my bro. As the finish approached, I thought my time was going to be good to get me to Kona, however, when I saw that it put me in 9th in my AG, I actually got really sad because I didn't think it was going to be good enough. Nonetheless, I didn't get too down. I had executed my game plan and I knew it was everything I had. I realized it was out of my hands and that fate would decide.

I did get a massage after the race, but I had a really hard time getting any food down. I was finally able to get some food in me when we got back to the hotel. I didn't sleep particularly well as I was nervous about getting a slot.

I got to the expo for 9am and I found out there were 8 slots in my age group. I was happy with this because I only thought there would be 7. That meant I just needed 1 slot to roll down and I was in. Some friends had some research and the guy that finished 1st in my AG appeared to have already gotten a slot in Florida so I thought I was good. However, it was an extremely long 2 hours waiting for roll down. When it was all said and done, there was only 1 slot that rolled down and I GOT IT! I was so excited and was actually shaking my the time I got, but I was so pumped and just couldn't believe it. I'm going to KONA!!! :)

Here is a video of me getting my slot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkSwGEg8gc4&feature=youtu.be

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am very happy to say that I did not have any issues with my bad hip throughout the race, which was totally awesome and a bit surprising. I'm glad I didn't go too hard on the bike, but I think I have to consider my bike to be my weakness at this point.

Event comments:

The logistics of this race were totally crazy, but I thought they did a fantastic job with it. I won't be signing again for next year, but I would recommend this race to people.

Kona baby! :)

Last updated: 2011-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:42 | 4224 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/279
Overall: 225/2146
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Point to Point along the Hudson
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:26:17 | 112 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/279
Overall: 0/2146
Avg HR: 161 Max HR: 178 Avg Power: 221 Normalized Power: 227
Wind:
Course: 2 out back loops on the Palisades highway. A true rolling course with essential not flat sections, but no killer climbs either
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:30:57 | 26.2 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/279
Overall: 0/2146
Avg HR: 165 Max HR: 182 Avg Cadence: 86
Course: Rolling hills for the first 16 miles, across the George Washington bridge, and then roaming around Manhattan.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-14 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Ironman U.S. Championship

2012-08-14 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4362642

Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship
Nice work Colin!!!!
2012-08-14 12:25 PM

User image

Congratulations!!!! Nice race report. 
2012-08-14 12:31 PM

User image

Elite
Nice ..KQ!!..will this be your first time?....with that time you could beat many pros
2012-08-14 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

SO happy for you, Colin!!! congrats, and enjoy the he11 out of Kona!! 

Videos are fantastic -- Congratulations!!!

Mike

2012-08-14 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Way to not race like Rudy!!!!

KONA BABY!!!!!!!!

2012-08-14 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Congrats on a KQ Colin!!!
2012-08-14 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Fan-freaking-tastic!  that must have been one heck of a long 2 hour wait.  Well done out there.
2012-08-14 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
Awesome! Congratulations on the Kona slot!
2012-08-14 5:33 PM

User image

Expert

Man, I got goosebumps watching that video...

Nice job. The motto stands true... bike for show, run for dough! So happy for you dude.

2012-08-14 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Amazing job, Colin - to run that pace for that whole course in those conditions is an amazing accomplishment. Enjoy your recovery and your trip to Kona.

2012-08-14 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Way to hang tough at the end of the run there. I can't imagine steps (up or down) near the end of an IM run could be any fun at all! We'll have to do a little training together before you head off the the land of coconuts and sandy beaches - you definitely earned the Kona slot!!
2012-08-15 5:30 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Congrats on your KQ Colin!  What a huge year for you.
2012-08-15 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on fantastic well executed race Colin!

You have worked smart and trained well over the years and had some accidents right before your previous big races...so happy for you that it came together for you this race.

Kona....whoop whoop!

What a year for you

2012-08-15 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome bro!  kona bound!!  thanks for posting the video, very cool!!
2012-08-15 10:19 PM

User image

Bronze member
Oh Wow! Great race, great report and congrats on going to Kona!

2012-08-16 7:46 AM

Uxbridge

WOOOO HOOOO!!!! Congrats on an amazing race and year!!!

I was watching you while I was at work and saw you cross the finish. All my co-workers were in awe! When I came in the next day they all asked if you got the rolldown and were you going to Kona!!!!

2012-08-16 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Congrats on a great race and your KQ! 
2012-08-16 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
congrats on a good race and a KQ!
2012-08-17 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Congrats Colin...great report. Have a great time in Kona! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman U.S. Championship Rss Feed