Ironhead Race Productions
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 49s
Overall Rank = 175/481
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 10/35
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express off Carrier Pkwy and I20. Great location, very nice hotel and lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. Also, only 10 minutes to the race site. Had the usual 4:45am wake-up routine, oatmeal and coffee.
Event warmup:

Set-up transition, went for a run on the run course and found a public bathroom with NO lines. Then back to transition to final check and drop off my shoes. I grab the wrong goggles and got all the way into the water before noticing. I had to run back to transition and get the right goggles and by that time I missed a good swim warm up.
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad confitions for the swim with all the wind and boat traffic kicking up some 2-3 foot swells. The waves were breaking pretty hard into shore and we were swimming up and over some rollers. Not as bad as the Gulf, but pretty choppy. I felt good on the swim but had some breathing problems when waves crashed into my mouth as I was trying to breath. I don't think I ever got a nice long stroke due to the waves. I need more work on the swim in bad conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Better swim warm-up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

It took too long to get into my shoes on the bike. Not bad, but I had trouble with wet feet and I have not practiced it at all this year.

Practice speed on getting into shoes.
Bike
  • 45m 17s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a hard time settling in for the bike. The first part was with a tail wind but slightly uphill. I was doing ok at that point but my computer was not working (except for cadence) and I had no idea how fast I was going or how far I had been. The wind on the long stretch was tough but I seemed to pass alot of people. The last turn around was basically with a tail wind and I had a strong finish those last 3-4 miles. I think I need more leg strength work in bigger gears on flat surfaces. Not a bad bike but I had times were I seemed to struggle and could not get a good speed for the gear I was in. I could never seem to get over my gears and really drive the pace.

More time trial workouts at greater distances.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I was trying to come into T2 "Hot" on the bike and jump off and run into T2 but a girl in front of me stopped and then cut across the entrance causing me to stop completely.

Either put socks on before bike or go sockless. My running shoes were too new to not wear socks on this run.
Run
  • 29m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I still stink at running, BUT, I had a good run for me today. I tried to start and get into a rhythm as quickly as I could as I focused on my turnover. I really paid attention to the other runners to see where I though the differences were. It helped that my wife videoed the race and I was able to see myself run. It gave me a good idea to video me running and start breaking down what I am doing and try to change how I run. I was able to push the run all the way through the end and even had a kick at the end to pass a guy in my AG. Overall, I was pleased with my effort and mental ability to keep going. Now, if I can only do that for 26.2 miles...

Get a coach.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, get into the shade and drink water and eat a cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The ability to move quickly on two feet.

Event comments:

I liked this race alot. The course is great and, as usual, Jack puts on a well supported race. I can't wait to get back up to DFW for the rest of the series (Olympic and Half). It was great to see some BT'ers and people I have met over the years of racing. I forgot what it's like to do your first race and the anxiety and excitement that it brings. It was awesome to see people (jcagg90 and others) go through this great sport for the first time. Overall, a good race for me. It was also fun to do a shorter race than I had been doing lately. Now, I focus on my taper for Buffalo Springs in less than two weeks. I hope I can write the same type of race report after that beast.

Last updated: 2006-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 875 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 94/481
Performance: Below average
Suit: Desoto trisuit
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:17 | 16.8 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 96/481
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: T course, going out from park then out and back and past the park for another out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:06 | 03.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/35
Overall: 368/481
Performance: Average
Course: Nice loop and out and back inside the park. All on the asphalt road with some shade from big oak trees.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-12 1:23 PM
in reply to: #451386

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon
Great job!  I wish my good swims were as fast as your 'bad' one.  The bike split was nice, too!  Good luck at Buffalo Springs, and I'll look for you at Ironhead Dallas if you make it back for that one.
2006-06-12 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job on the race...thanks for the encouraging comments on my race report! I am glad I didn't quit and now my next challenge is the Ironhead dallas on July 16th!! 1500m swim in the same lake....and I will be ready :-)....maybe I will see you there!

-Anant-
2006-06-12 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job on the "pre-taper workout"!  I wish my swims were as "below average" as yours!  Kick some arse in Buffalo Springs!

Edited by jcagg90 2006-06-12 9:38 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed