General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help a big dummy with Wheel Question, PLEASE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-14 1:45 PM

User image

Kenton
Subject: Help a big dummy with Wheel Question, PLEASE!
I need some help making a decision about Aero wheels. Two years ago, I bought a Marin Argenta road bike and I am looking at improving the wheelset on the bike. I am doing longer distance triathlons, and I have several questions....

1. What types of Aero wheels are available for my type of bike?

2. How much would Aero wheels help my overall speed?

3. Is it feasible to buy Aero wheels now, or should I just save my money for a TRUE triathlon bike?                                                                                                              
   4. Are Aero wheels "easy" to put on?

THANKS!

2012-08-14 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4362947

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Help a big dummy with Wheel Question, PLEASE!
I just put a set of HED Jet 50s on my road bike (They are now called Jet 5).  I found a good deal on a used pair on eBay.  They are easy to put on and take off (I have a spare cassette that I just leave on the rear wheel all the time).  I'm not sure if I'm any faster, but boy do they look good!
2012-08-14 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley

You can buy the aero wheels now, and still use them on a tri bike later.

Be careful when mounting tires on clincher aero wheels. Grabbing the carbon fairing will damage it. Fairings also limit tire lever range of motion.

New wheels may have clearance problem with the chain stay. Install them on your frame at the bike shop before buying. Otherwise they mount the same way as aluminum rim wheels.

2012-08-15 1:15 AM

Basically any 700c aero wheel will fit your bike.

1. Keep your existing wheels for training.

2. Get a 60mm aero front wheel  (ex. Zipp 404, Hed6, etc.) and either a deeper wheel (90mm or consider a Disc) for the rear.  Some wheels have weight limits, so if you are >180lbs check if they have a limit.  If you're hard on wheels, HED3 trispokes are the ultimate bombproof aero wheel.

3. The wheels will speed up your current bike by over 1min. over 40k, and will easily transfer to your next bike.  They are just as easy to mount as your current wheels.

2012-08-15 2:43 AM
in reply to: #4363869

User image

Maryland
This somewhat dated analysis from TriTalk helps put the time saved into perspective. Some technology has evolved since the list was compiled, but it's a good place to start on how to "buy speed." http://www.tri-talk.com/Top20.asp Of course, the cool factor and placebo impact on your performance are hard to measure in dollars or time saved.
2012-08-15 4:19 PM

User image

Pro

1.  Lots of choices.  If I were you- I'd pick up a used Hed H3 for the front, and put a wheelbuilder cover on the rear.  But there are really a ton of choices.  Perhaps a set of Williams or Boyd wheels, or the new FLO's would be reasonably priced alternatives from the expensive Zipps and Heds. 

2.  just a little.  An aero helmet will help just as much- for a lot less.  changes in your body position- even more than wheels.

3.  you can buy wheels now.  If you like numbers and have money burning a hole in your pocket- picking up a powertap might be a fun idea instead.  it'll help you work on the engine.

4.  as easy to put on as your current wheels.  some have little ideosynchracies.  Like the new wider rims (Zipp Firecrest, Hed C2, FLO) will require brake adjustments.  You will also need to get long stemmed tubes and/or valve extenders if you go with deeper wheels.

have fun shopping.  Deeper is usually better.  The new rim shapes are a little faster than the old ones.  A regular deep V shaped wheel is 'old' technology and not as good as the toroidal or fatter ones.  the ancient Hed 3 tri-spokes- are still about the fastest around, if you put a narrow tire on the front and have little wind.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help a big dummy with Wheel Question, PLEASE! Rss Feed