General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Decided to set a goal and follow it through for once. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-15 12:01 AM

Subject: Decided to set a goal and follow it through for once.
I'm a 30 year old guy living on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada. I am a decent swimmer and not too shabby on a bike. I suffer from bouts of depression and recently realized that I really have no goals in life, and what goals I do set, never get passed the talking about phase. I have decided that I will train for, and complete, a triathlon. I strongly believe that if I focus my self destructive energies towards this goal, I can prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind and body into, and conquer my depression.

2012-08-15 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4363853

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Decided to set a goal and follow it through for once.

welcome to BT. 

i completely understand what you are saying about setting goals...i can never go to the gym just because it's good for me.  i like to train towards a goal too.  one of the great things about tris is the social aspect...people are so friendly and helpful at races, and you can do a lot of the training with others and make some truly awesome friends.

good luck!

2012-08-15 9:26 AM

Right on! I have the same issues with goal setting or at least the following through part :-) I'm 33 and feel like we are at our peak, so we should take advantage of it. Let's do this!
2012-08-15 11:44 AM

I'm already amazed by the supportive nature of this community. It seems everyone wants to help everyone else across the finish line. I can't wait to get out and join my local club once I get my fitness and endurance up a bit.
2012-08-15 1:37 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi, welcome to BT and triathlon!

Goals are great, and it also helps me to be following a training program (there are ones appropriate for all levels here on BT) ... no guesswork, X is just what I'm going to do today.

There's actually a thread/group here for folks to yap about depression and other mood disorders and training ... we vent, we support each other, encourage, etc. Check it out and say hi if you like!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=109489&posts=888#M4364559

2012-08-15 6:14 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Welcome to BT.  Setting goals and working towards them is a great way to motivate yourself to train.

2012-08-15 6:34 PM

I have researched a bunch of training plans. I just got a membership to our local pool/gym. I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to get a couple sessions with a trainer since I have never stepped foot in a gym or swam for fitness. I'm aiming for a sprint early next season. I plan on getting to the point where I can handle the required distances in each sport, then work on putting it all together while increasing speed/endurance.

I realize that training for something like this is not something to take lightly, which is EXACTLY why I have a BT account =)
2012-08-16 3:35 PM

Congrats and welcome Skookum!

You have picked a great activity to prove to yourself you can give yourself a goal and set out and accomplish it.  There is no question whatsoever that you can do this!  Having an end-goal, and a plan to get there, has been one of the most sure-fire ways for me personally to start something and see it to conclusion.  I really learned that about myself last year, and I am doing things now that I thought was only able to be done by certain people.  Brace yourself for a life-changing experience!

You have plenty of time to get ready for a sprint early next season.  From a pure fitness standpoint, running is the hardest to ramp up, and you can get yourself to sprint-running distance in 9-10 weeks if you are coming from no running at all.  Look up Couch To 5K for a great program to get your running started.

Putting all three disciplines together for a sprint triathlon is easy.  Just train in all 3 of them  The training time requirements aren't too rigorous (relatively speaking of course) for a sprint, so if you can easily handle the distances individually, doing them together shouldn't be too much of a leap.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.   You are amongst friends!

2012-08-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4365286

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Skookum83 - 2012-08-15 7:34 PM I have researched a bunch of training plans. I just got a membership to our local pool/gym. I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to get a couple sessions with a trainer since I have never stepped foot in a gym or swam for fitness. I'm aiming for a sprint early next season. I plan on getting to the point where I can handle the required distances in each sport, then work on putting it all together while increasing speed/endurance.

I realize that training for something like this is not something to take lightly, which is EXACTLY why I have a BT account =)

Very wise call on the slow process to build and trainer.  BT has lots of great couch to programs, you can find them with the icons on the top bar for training plans.

2012-08-16 5:23 PM

Just got back from a hike up to lake near where I live. It is a tough 90 minute clime. I have done this hike dozens of times. What I have always wanted to do was jump in and swim in this lake. It is drop dead gorgeous. Not once have I been able to jump in. I love swimming in rivers and pools. But a lake, in the middle of the forest? No way. I can see trees, and sticks and what I swear to god appears to be a human leg. And an OWS in the Ocean? No thanks, I've seen Blue Planet, I know what's in there.

I realize that in order for me to complete a triathlon, I'm gonna have to get over this silly(?) fear of the deep blue unknown.

This brings me to earlier today. There I am, in my swim trunks, trying to jump in and swim. I can't do it, but I want to so bad. I close my eyes, take some deep controlled breathes, and I say to myself, out loud, with out even thinking; "Go!"

Next thing I know, I'm in the water, eyes closed, swimming. I have no clue how far I swam, but I stopped when I tired, and started treading water. To my pure joy I was in the middle of the lake, surrounded by the beautiful rainforest that is Vancouver Island. Then I look up to the sky just as an eagle soars by and lets out a screech, and I have a moment. I then swim back, smiling all the way, and eat.

I pushed myself today. I'm dead tired, but I feel so alive. I can't wait to see what else I'm capable of!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Decided to set a goal and follow it through for once. Rss Feed