General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-04-26 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4713544

Pearland, Ohio
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-24 1:31 PM I'm up for a BT get together on Saturday.  Any suggestions?

The city of Titusville has seen better days, and consequently there aren't too many restaurants to choose from in the area.  If you all like seafood I would recommend Dixie Crossroads.  It's been a few years since I've been there but the corn fritters and rock shrimp used to be awesome. I forget if they take reservations or not.

If you are staying in the Cocoa Beach area, another EXCELLENT seafood (fresh off the boat) place to try out is Grills at the Port.  A very popular spot, plan to get their early and/or wait for a seat. But very good seafood.  They do have quite a few non seafood items if you need.  They also have a location on the river in north Melbourne.

A good Italian place in Cocoa Beach is the Italian Courtyard just off of 520 as you enter Cocoa Beach from Merritt Island.  If the weather is nice, request to sit outside on the patio.  They usually have someone playing live music on Friday & Saturday evenings...not too overpowering though.

Merritt Island has a few independent restaurants, but also an Olive Garden, Carabbas, chain restaurants, etc...

2013-04-26 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4364226

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM
I see there is an Italian restaurant in Titusville with "river view".  It is called Portofino Italian Grill.  Their website is portofinoitaliangrill.com.  They offer other options besides pasta.  My husband and I are going to plan on eating there Saturday evening.  They don't take reservations unless it is a group of 8 or more.  If you are interested, let me know and I will make the reservation.  Here is their menu http://www.portofinoitaliangrill.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilder... We don't have any set time in mind.  We are up for whatever the group decides.

Edited by mkennedy0525 2013-04-26 6:09 PM
2013-05-01 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Final approval is in (or so the director says). Fast legs (and arms) to all of you!  Trust your training.  We can do this!!  I think it is going to be a great time.  Too bad they didn't plan it for the end of the month.  On 5/28 there is a shuttle launch. 
2013-05-01 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4716820

User image

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-26 6:07 PM I see there is an Italian restaurant in Titusville with "river view".  It is called Portofino Italian Grill.  Their website is portofinoitaliangrill.com.  They offer other options besides pasta.  My husband and I are going to plan on eating there Saturday evening.  They don't take reservations unless it is a group of 8 or more.  If you are interested, let me know and I will make the reservation.  Here is their menu http://www.portofinoitaliangrill.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilder... We don't have any set time in mind.  We are up for whatever the group decides.

This will be my first time to the area, would love to chat/have dinner with some peeps, relax and have a good night prior to the event.

2013-05-01 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

For those who want to meet for dinner on Saturday, text me at 614-989-8293 with the number of people.  I will make plans to be at the restaurant at 6.  Please let me know by noon on Saturday if you are coming.  If we have at least 8 people I can make a reservation. 

2013-05-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4722189

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I'd love to meet up with you all but we will be on day 2 of 3 of our kids swim team meet 80 miles away.  If the weather forecast holds up it'll be wetsuit legal (not that its needed in the brackish water) but windy. Best of luck to all, and welcome to an early rainy season!

2013-05-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4722006

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

mkennedy0525 - 2013-05-01 8:29 AM Final approval is in (or so the director says). Fast legs (and arms) to all of you!  Trust your training.  We can do this!!  I think it is going to be a great time.  Too bad they didn't plan it for the end of the month.  On 5/28 there is a shuttle launch

That must be a surprise to NASA since they've retired all the shuttles...

There's a launch on 5/28 to the ISS, but it's a Soyuz 35 launching from Kazakstan.   Probably won't be able to see it from FL.  Wink

Mark

2013-05-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4722299

Veteran
Lost, Florida
RedCorvette - 2013-05-01 11:14 AM

mkennedy0525 - 2013-05-01 8:29 AM Final approval is in (or so the director says). Fast legs (and arms) to all of you!  Trust your training.  We can do this!!  I think it is going to be a great time.  Too bad they didn't plan it for the end of the month.  On 5/28 there is a shuttle launch

That must be a surprise to NASA since they've retired all the shuttles...

There's a launch on 5/28 to the ISS, but it's a Soyuz 35 launching from Kazakstan.   Probably won't be able to see it from FL.  Wink

Mark

That's funny!

2013-05-03 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Sorry guys, weather looks like it's gonna be the pits.  Have fun and stay safe.
2013-05-04 9:37 AM

User image

Weather looks like it will be nearly perfect. Where are you seeing poor weather reports for Titusville?
2013-05-04 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Dinner at portolino's at 6:00. Come join us.

2013-05-05 1:10 PM

User image

Complete!

What a cluster f the race turned out to be. Massive lines at check in with only 2 people checking everybody in, AND chip pickup.  The 33mi bike turned out to be 36 and they had tubs of Coke at the finish line and no bottles of water. 

Otherwise it was a decent race.  The shirts are cool. The run course felt like running through slums though. 

2013-05-05 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
No bottles of water? WTF
2013-05-05 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4727988

User image

Expert
aliddle9876 - 2013-05-05 1:10 PM

The run course felt like running through slums though. 

Welcome to Titusville. ;-)
2013-05-06 7:35 AM

The check-in process and chip pick-up were both time consuming; however, there was plenty of bottled water and cokes being iced as well as additional cups of water at the finish. That was around 6+ hrs.

The neighborhood didn't feel slumlike, but that run along US1 in Titusville was kinda sad.

2013-05-06 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I think they did a decent job for a first time race.  I think areas for improvement

1-Carpet down on  the run from swim to transition.  That pavement was TERRIBLE
2-Carpet over the railroad tracks in teh sapce center.  I saw 2 crashes.  Not sure if there were any others
3-Sports drink at finish.  I saw plenty of water and coke tho
4-get the car out of tranisition. While it was a nice landmark for my rack SERIOUSLY?
5-Only 2 ladders out of the water? there has to be a better way
6-Too many waves of people.  If you are going to do that at least let the classic people have a place to be warm.  My teeth were chattering for an hour. I understand why they did it...get the HIM and oly people out fo the water and not to have a huge cluster with only 2 ladders to get out of the water but there were not so many people inthis race they needed to make me wait 2.5 hours from the time tranisiton closed to the time I started.
7-On Fb they posted these cool hats they got for us but then there was a copyright issue with the space center.  First of all they should have checked but again SERIOUSLY? shame on you kennedy space center.  WTF? They are a sponsor of the race and REALLY you are going to loose THAT much $$$$ getting free advertising on 1600 hats.  Give me a break.  I WANT MY HAT!
8-get the distances right.  Its not that hard
9-They definately could have done check in a LOT better.  I was at tranisition when it opened and did not wait at all for my chip

Things they did well
1-Road closures.. HUGE HUGE Kudos.  They blocked a HUGE bridge of just for us.  I have never done a race where the ENTIRE course was closed to motorized traffic...well except the gas truck on the space center property
2-Nice signage on the course
3-I liked the run course.  I didn't think it was terrible and along the ocean it was nice and breezy, easy to stay cool
4-Volunteers were great
5-Lots of pizza, but would have been nice to have another choice

And can I say HOLY HEADWIND BATMAN......geez o pete

2013-05-06 11:11 AM

Never again.  I suppose I should have heeded the warnings that were posted earlier on in the thread.  I understand that a first time race will have hiccups, but some of this is just common sense that the RD just plain missed.

1)      As someone else had mentioned no water at the finish.  HUGE fail here.  How can you run out of water at the end of a race?  Water is cheap and essential!  You can buy it in bulk, if you have extra, it doesn’t expire and you can save it for your next race!  When I was searching for water at the finish line, one of the volunteers actually told me I could walk a little ways and buy some at a nearby convenience store.  I responded back that I had just finished a race and maybe somebody from the race should walk a little ways and buy some more water.

2)      HUUUUGE wait for body marking and chip pickup.  2 or 3 people doing this task with around 1,600 people registered?

3)      Roads were advertised as smooth.  Heading over the bridge and the road leading into KSC property, I would say for the most part they were.  However there were some huge gouges in the road on KSC property and going over the railroad tracks was a challenge.  I saw two wrecks on the roads and one on the tracks.  I spent more time concentrating on areas to avoid on the road than relaxing and falling into a rhythm.

4)      Horrible communication with the RD.  I sent several emails to a number of email addresses (most of those emails were CC’d to hopefully ensure someone was getting it).  I never received a response.  I posted a comment on the Facebook page saying how I was frustrated that I hadn’t received an email response and my comment was responded to, but it was deleted so I know that SOMEONE was aware that I was trying to contact them.  That is what really burns me, I’m a friggin paying customer, don’t ignore me.  It makes me wonder what else has been deleted from the event Facebook page.

5)      While it worked out that the course was approved, why wasn’t this done months in advance?  Why did registration open before the RD knew for a fact that, outside a weather related influence, we could do the race?  People who spent time and money making travel arrangements deserve better.

6)      The hats.  Someone else mentioned it on here.  They had posted these hats that would be handed out to all of the finishers, but apparently they didn’t ask permission to use the NASA logo beforehand. I hear a lot of people blaming NASA on this, but I have to place blame on the oversight of the RD.  Just like the race permitting, why wasn’t permission asked for in advance?

7)      The food afterwards was lacking.  Donuts and pizza.  There was some fruit that was sitting around too, but it was pretty browned like it had been sitting out for far too long.  I had two slices of pizza. When I went back for another slice they wanted to charge me money.  That was a first for me.  I thought I paid my money when I registered for the race.  Besides I just finished a race, I didn’t realize I was supposed to carry cash on me to purchase post race food.

8)      That run sucked.  To be fair part of that I can blame on me…;-), but it was a pretty bland course.  While I’d stop short of calling it the slums, it wasn’t the nicest of areas by far.

Me and my family did have a great time in Florida though.  The weather was a little foul but we found plenty to do.  That is a very unique area and I would definitely recommend visiting it sometime.  I just won’t ever do another race by this race director.
2013-05-06 4:04 PM

This was my first triathlon and from what I saw everything went fairly smoothly.  Sure things could have been done better, but it wasn't the end of the world.  Check in the day before was open for a long time, 11-6 or something like that.  I doubt the line was super long all day.  I got there around 3 and there were probably  a good hundred or so people in line in front of me.  It took maybe 20-30 minutes to get through.  Same with race day, I got there early to set up my area and should have grabbed my chip then because the line only had like 20 people.  Instead I went back to my hotel to grab my wife and son.  When I got back it seemed like the entire field was in line to get their chip.  It didn't take that long though.  I had plenty of time after I got my chip in order to stretch and get ready for the swim.  

The course itself was fine for me.  The bike ride like people mentioned did have rough sections of road, quite a bit actually, but I was still able to manage a respectable speed for the first half.  It's not like the RD has control over the conditions of the roads which were probably put in sometime in the 60's when the space center was developed.  You kind of have to take what you get here.  Plus, the whole point was to be able to see the VAB and the launch sites which I though was pretty cool.  I hope the pictures they took turn out well.  The headwind on the way back was killer!  It was brutal for the second half to be sure.  

The run through the residential area was nice enough, the portion on the main road obviously didn't have the greatest scenery, but at least the road was blocked off well and there were police force out to keep people from running over athletes.

When I finished the race, right at the 4 hour mark for the international, there was coke at the finish line, I didn't see any water, but I did see the RD drive up in a truck and unload cases of water.  The tent at the expo area had pizza and plenty of fruit, all of which was good.

2013-05-06 10:36 PM

User image

It wasn't terrible. I still enjoyed it but there are a lot of areas that need work. Now to take the summer off!
2013-05-07 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

I loved it!  I thought they did a pretty good job.  Very few races go off without any problems.  I know the line for packet pickup was long but the DJ was entertaining and if you timed it right, you heard the athlete meeting while you waited.  I got to meet new people that were in line with me.  We talked about different races and our expectations/goals for this race.  Time went by pretty quickly. 

The bike course was FANTASTIC!  Ok, so the roads were rough.  They were the only roads to take us where the race was trying to get us to.  The headwind was not the race directors fault.  We are athletes and should be somewhat prepared for it.  You have to admit it was pretty awesome to ride around the VAB and the launch pads.  At times I got so lost in my surroundings that I almost forgot I was in a race!  And a completely closed course was wonderful!  We had the whole road and they let us use it knowing that the road conditions were not the best.  I got to see an alligator which I had not seen before and I have made many trips to Florida.  I saw a turtle in the middle of the road.  I even swerved on my bike to avoid running over an inch worm.  Smile

The run was a bit hot.  Through the neighborhood was nice because there was shade (I never saw a white squirrel).  The portion out on highway 1 was tough with no shade.  The water stops were FANTASTIC.  They had ICE!  I was able to grab a cup at one stop and chew ice all the way to the next stop where I would get another one.  The furthest water stop on the half iron course ran out of ice on my first loop.  That concerned me.  When I got to it the second time I was THRILLED to find they had gotten more.  I have been to many races that when things ran out that was it!  Not the case here.  When I finished my first loop of the run I heard someone say there was still one more bike out on the course that was just about to come in.  I know athletes were tired of waiting to get into transition and get their stuff but I think it was awesome that every single athlete was given the same respect.  Imagine if that were you on that bike and a couple hundred athletes are walking through transition with their bikes, bags and junk while you are still trying to race.  That to me gave huge brownie points for the race director.  I heard athletes complaining.  Get over it!  It isn't all about you.  There are others in this race.  Everyone should be treated equal; pro or not!

I finished just over 7 hours for my first half iron.  I was given a medal and a bottle of water at the finish.  My husband was there to guide me to shade and food although I wasn't very hungry.  There was plenty of pizza, fruit and bagels when I finished.  I even asked for a whole orange instead of one that had been cut and sitting in the sun.  They happily gave me one.  Maybe because there wasn't anyone else around at the time. 

I would definitely do this race again.  The bike ride won't be as impressive the second time I'm sure but it will still be an awesome race.  I hope they get to do it again!  I will recommend it to all my friends.

2013-05-08 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4731841

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

It is definitely a race I would recommend. I checked my bike and picked up my race package a little after it opened, so i did not have any long lines, but I did meet some very nice people. We were all excited about riding through Kennedy Space Center and talked about our memories of all the launches.

The scenery on the bike course was amazing, portions of the roads were not so great.  They need to cover the train tracks. I saw a few accidents there. The run through old Titusville along the river was nice, the portion along US-1 was hot and no shelter from the sun. There was plenty of water and Gatorade along the way.

There was water and pepsi on ice when i finished and they were giving pizzas away.  The massage was excellent after the race.

There were many permit problems to get the roads closed and access to use the wildlife center road. My fingers are crossed to see if it actually happens again next year. I agree with some of the posters that it was disturbing to register for a race that did not have all the proper permits pulled prior to advertising and taking people's money.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  

of 4