General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-08-15 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM

FYI. A new tri event has popped up for May 5, 2013 on the central east coast near/on Kennedy Space Center with Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM distances.  Right now the "+" is for a longer 34 mile bike for each.  The bike will go from Titusville out onto KSC loop by the launch pads and back.  http://www.kscrocketmantri.com/

From http://myendurosport.com/

"The highlight of the races will be the KSC bike course.  Some may ask why the Classic-plus and International-plus bike distances are equally long at 34 miles. The KSC road network and desire to include the most historic locations along the route made this necessary.

The Classic will have a .5 mile swim and a 4 mile run with the International having a typical .9mile swim and 10K run. These distances are subject to change but as race information becomes available the Facebook fan pages of MyEnduroSport.com  and RocketMan will update, hopefully with maps, etc."

2012-08-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4364226

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM
Keeping a eye on this one. Will do the HIM for sure.
2012-08-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4364461

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM

I agree!  I may have to sign up for the HIM when registration opens in Sept.

I've wanted to do the SpaceCoast Marathon for a few years now.  My training partner is a Pacer this year.  But since that is usually held over Thanksgiving weekend family obligations take priority and it never seems to happen.  This Tri might help offset that!

Bill

2012-08-15 9:19 PM

I am brand new to the sport and in the beginning phase of getting myself back in shape and had previously set a couple of goals. One goal is to be prepared to complete a sprint by Apr 6.  This event is only 1 hour from where I live and thought it may be a good opportunity for my first go. Not knowing anything about the organizations that hold these events I would like to know if anyone familiar with USAT would or would not recommend this event for a first timer? If so or not, can you please explain why or why not and help point me the direction I should be looking. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you.

Greg

2012-08-16 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4365467

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Vilimama - 2012-08-15 10:19 PM

I am brand new to the sport and in the beginning phase of getting myself back in shape and had previously set a couple of goals. One goal is to be prepared to complete a sprint by Apr 6.  This event is only 1 hour from where I live and thought it may be a good opportunity for my first go. Not knowing anything about the organizations that hold these events I would like to know if anyone familiar with USAT would or would not recommend this event for a first timer? If so or not, can you please explain why or why not and help point me the direction I should be looking. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you.

Greg

Greg,

The company putting on this event has had a checked past when it comes to hosting their sprint triathlon series. No real issues for the 13.1/26.2 they host. I would rank all the tri's so far based on feedback a 3 or 4/5.  Have had some course snafus (1/5) and others have been fine without problems. I volunteered at one of their events two years ago after a plea that many were needed.  I think they are putting a lot on this event. 

One nice thing about the new race venue will be the bike course, shouldn't have a lot of vehicle traffic, but for the "sprint" distance that's a long bike ride (34 mi).

There are many events held ~1 hr of this venue and early year events will likely require a wetsuit unless you're comfortable in "cold" water.  I've done several of them and after the first I bought a wetsuit!

The SommerSports tri's in Clermont are nice events.

There are some early year events held at Moss Park by MCO (Orlando Int airport).  Not the best venue for a tri IMHO, didn't care for the bike course, loved the run though.

Pineappleman is held in early June in Melbourne Beach and sells out in weeks, great race.  Registration has been opening in December.

Another nice event held in Oct is the Battle of the Bridges in Melbourne, great race course, all roads have been repaved in the past few years.

2012-08-16 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Sounds interesting, particularly the long bike course.  Might help to offset my lack of running ability.  Wink

Mark

2012-08-16 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4366368

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
RedCorvette - 2012-08-16 1:10 PM

Sounds interesting, particularly the long bike course.  Might help to offset my lack of running ability.  Wink

Mark

Or my lack of swim ability!  Foot in mouth

The Classic sounds perfect.  Late winter & spring will be great for a lot of weekend riding up that way, and also be ready for the Pineappleman event a month later.

2012-08-16 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

I took the liberty of posting a link on our club's FB page... it's a closed group tho, but members will see it.

Sounds great to me.  G'luck!

2012-08-16 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida
I am there for sure!
2012-08-17 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
I am interested if this would hinder first time triathletes to participate in their first race due to the much longer bike course. For the International distance, it is not near as large as a jump as it would be from the typical Sprint distance bike. Best of luck to your race though. Should be one hell of a party afterwards with it being cinco de mayo.
2012-08-18 5:47 PM

User image

I think this looks interesting.

2012-08-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4365467

Pearland, Ohio
Participant be ware in this race. The event organizer, Smooth Running, has put on and failed at several other running and triathlon events in this area. He is notorious for skimping on enough water, cups, police support, volunteers, port-o-potties in transition, no security in transition, etc... His last triathlon series, the Space Coast Trifecta was dropped from 3 races to 1 due to poor attendance. The reason for the poor attendance was the aforementioned items. The last year of his final race of the series, when everything was really unraveling, he failed to have police and volunteers at the turnaround, resulting in blown courses, and dangerous traffic conditions. When race participants told/complained of this, he called them liars and said there were volunteers and police out on the course. Only after SEVERAL participants banned together and started loudly complaining did he reverse his stance. 

It is a shame that this is the event organizer for this race, because I think the venue is awesome. However the organizer is probably one of the worst I have ever encountered. He has also publicly attacked a well known and respected coach for "banditing" a 5K local race, one which the coach had permission from the 5K director to run with a 10 y/o girl at the request of her parents. The Rocketman Race director sent letters to the coach's place of employment in attempts to get him fired for the banditing. He is also the OP of the following thread. 

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25; 

Do the race if you want to, I personally will never participate in any race Smooth Running puts on due to those mentioned above and many other actions by the RD.
2012-08-20 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4369509

User image

New user
This is a little disappointing. I wonder if the RD has had better results since he dropped races from his schedule? Anyone know?
2012-08-20 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4371426

Pearland, Ohio

Smooth Running does put on a Melbourne & Beaches Music Marathon/Half Marathon that I would rate at a 3.5/5.  I think they are trying to mimic the Rock & Roll series.  They have some live music out on course, but the majority is a DJ or stereo. They are notorious for running out of water/Gatorade on course, and running out of post race food and refreshments.  This has been the "A" race for Smooth Running, and race participant numbers have been declining year over year. I believe this race just completed its 4th season?  I might be off +/- a year there.

There is also a Game Day 5K that they put on that coincides with a local minor league baseball team's home game. Race participants are allowed free entry to the game later in the day.  This past year there were race participants missing turns due to a poorly marked course, and lack of volunteers.

At the Ron Jons Cocoa Beach Triathlon (the most recent event), there was a huge snafu with the timing that delayed the results by about two days. The bike in/run out was right next to each other which caused some VERY close near misses. They had port-o-lets, plenty of pizza after, and good police support. However he ran out of water on the run course (on going problem), volunteers walking off of the run course before all participants completed (on going problem), and again no security at the transition area.  Race participants and spectators could just come and go in and out of transition without anyone stopping them to verify they had a race number and/or body marking that matched their equipment. If you're looking at upgrading to a nicer bike (or have your bike disappear), this might be the race for you.  This was the third year of the triathlon series and VERY FEW improvements were made and the only triathlon put on by Smooth Running.

Smooth Running also has a "Beach Running World Championships", which they were advertising as a USATF Certified Course.  When a local publication and other locals inquired about how you can possibly certify a beach course, the answer back from USATF was a no brainer, you can't. The USATF has since been taken down from the event website, but from the attached article link, you can see that Smooth Running had been advertising this Course Certification for quite some time.  While it may or may not be fair to call this a World Championship race, there is some deception on the part of the race director in my opinion with this certification.

http://spacecoastmultisport.com/news/2012/6/25/when-is-a-world-championship-not-really-a-world-championship.html

With the deception and the skimping of race essentials in other Smooth Running events.  I think you need to question how they will handle 3 races (sprint, intermediate, and half distance) in one day when they haven't shown the ability to handle one?  

2012-09-11 7:17 PM

New user

Winter Garden
That is very depressing information to read, it is sad that someone that can get such a huge event into a government owned facility has such a horrid reputation at running triathlons ! UGH...I really was excited for this to be my first HIM but definetely having second thoughts.
2012-09-14 5:06 AM
in reply to: #4406680

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

arbasica - 2012-09-12 1:17 AM That is very depressing information to read, it is sad that someone that can get such a huge event into a government owned facility has such a horrid reputation at running triathlons ! UGH...I really was excited for this to be my first HIM but definetely having second thoughts.

x2 When I saw this event I was so excited.  Looks amazing.  Shame a better organizer couldnt get hold of it.

Saying that I'll still do the race - its an amazing venue.

2012-10-24 9:57 PM

@triste

Like most races.. and for many race directors.. there are learning curves.  I trust the RD has stepped up their game. Don't let one critic ruin your enthusiasm. Some people are just unhappy folk who find fault in others for fun.  It will be my first HIM and I look forward to being part of the inaugural event ( however rough around the edges it may seem, typically races take 5 years to get the wrinkles out)

I hope I see you there in and you have a great time.

Edited by j2dahizzay 2012-10-24 10:02 PM
2012-10-24 10:00 PM

arbasica - 2012-09-11 8:17 PM That is very depressing information to read, it is sad that someone that can get such a huge event into a government owned facility has such a horrid reputation at running triathlons ! UGH...I really was excited for this to be my first HIM but definetely having second thoughts.

It's only depressing if you believe one sour grape's opinion. SO over exaggerated BTW.. I hope to see ya..

2012-10-25 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
For what it's worth, I second the "sour grape" opinion. Anyone know who is doing the race timing? I heard that the RD fired the last timing company for some snafus in one of the races. Is anyone reputable stepping in?
2012-10-25 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4468130

Pearland, Ohio

Edited by cbquietfl66 2012-10-25 10:36 AM
2012-10-25 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4468130

Pearland, Ohio
j2dahizzay - 2012-10-24 10:57 PM

@triste

Like most races.. and for many race directors.. there are learning curves.  I trust the RD has stepped up their game. Don't let one critic ruin your enthusiasm. Some people are just unhappy folk who find fault in others for fun.  It will be my first HIM and I look forward to being part of the inaugural event ( however rough around the edges it may seem, typically races take 5 years to get the wrinkles out)

I hope I see you there in and you have a great time.

I may be the only one person posting critically (although Donto above briefly mentions the company’s checkered past as well), I think you have to face the question of what did this organizer do to have one person speak so negatively.  You are saying it takes 5 years to work out the kinks in a race? Kinks like no port-a-lets? Kinks like no security at transition? Kinks like lying about a race certification? Kinks like
a poorly marked course?  These are all very elementary parts of putting a race and should never be an issue.  For $125 for a Olympic distance race and $250 for half iron I don’t think anyone wants to wait 5 years for them to get their act together. Why hasn’t the course maps been released yet either?  Shouldn’t
this be as simple as putting a mapmyride or mapmyrun link to the website?  Again all very basic things that haven’t been done by the RD.  I expect a race director to present his race day plan up front to the consumer, not pay me your money and I’ll slowly release information about my race.

2012-10-26 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Just looked up this race and was a little put off by the vagueness of the site.  Seems more like a tourism ad than a race site.  Before I drop any money, much less $250, I want to see the course layout.  I guess that means I have a "no map, no money" policy.
2012-10-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4468135

User image

New user
I participated in two races done by this RD.  I think for the most part I am pretty tolerant.  I even planned on doing the same race for a 3rd year in a row, before they cancelled the venue (even though I had 2 bad experiences).  That being said, I will likely try the HIM out because it is close to home and I won't have to travel.  Hopefully this will be his recovery tour!
2012-11-01 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4470641

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

cwpeters - 2012-10-26 12:52 PM Just looked up this race and was a little put off by the vagueness of the site.  Seems more like a tourism ad than a race site.  Before I drop any money, much less $250, I want to see the course layout.  I guess that means I have a "no map, no money" policy.

I share the same concerns.  The website says the course maps won't be posted until early 2013.  That makes me suspect that they don't have all the necessary permits in place yet.  I don't feel good about forking out money for an out of town race until I know for sure what I'm paying for.

Mark

2012-11-01 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Interesting discussion all around....was considering this race for an early-season half, but now not so sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  

of 4