General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am a believer............ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-15 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: I am a believer............

After a couple years of getting skinny, losing muscle mass, and only doing S/B/R, I am now a HUGE advocate for some sort of strength training along with tri training.

After dropping strength training from my workouts, other than core workouts, I've never had sooooo many over use injuries or aches and pains as I do now.  My physical therapist mentioned how out of balance some of my muscles have become and how they have caused some of my injuries.  Funny how the first thing we did in PT was come up with a weight training program.  I will never drop some sort of total body strength training out of my program again!

that is all! Laughing

2012-08-16 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4364610

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Subject: RE: I am a believer............
i have to agree. I'm 5'9, 146. I was 160 coming into tris last year. Lost some weight quick and have had to fight to maintain the weight ever since. I have done some sort of resitance training for the past 20 years. My body has taken on somewhat of a different shape as you mentioned, especially in the past few months where i've stopped the training all but 20-30' a week. Made a conscious effort last week to change that. Not because of injuries as you mentioned, but it has always been part of my fitness routine. The argument between strength training benefits for tris will always go on...but the benefits to me personally are many, and i enjoy it too much to not do it.
2012-08-17 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4365998

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
I am an ex bodybuilder and ultra runner and have used weights in some shap or form for over 25 years.  I believe that resistance work has a place in everyones program you just have to periodise it like your tri trg.  I weight train because at my age 54 it does me a great deal of good and  I enjoy it as an integral part of my weekly tri trg.
2012-08-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4364610

Coming from a weight lifting background I'm learning to tone down (pun intended) my weight lifting and focus on more core, flexibility, and more functionality movements and lifts. I'm learning these type of lifts and workouts are making me an overall stronger athlete. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am a believer............ Rss Feed