General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-mix or mix on the course your Infinit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-17 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Pre-mix or mix on the course your Infinit?

I've been training for the past few months with Infinit and I'm convinced it's going to work well for me at IM AZ.  The thing I'm wondering about is this:  Should I premix a bottle or two of it and leave it in my special needs bike bag, or should I just put a couple empty bottles with powder in them in my special needs bag and add water once I retrieve it?  Time is not critical, but I do to a certain extent have a time goal in mind, so I don't want to take all day getting my bottles out of the special needs bag then tracking down water etc.  An older thread about Perpetuem mentioned that it gets skunky after a few hours.

Or, should I start experimenting with higher concentrations of Infinit?  While searching for an answer to my premix question, I did see where a few people will mix much higher concentrations, such as 600-800 calorie bottles.  Then I could just start the bike with what I need with me and not need a special needs bag at all.

2012-08-18 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4368929

User image

Subject: RE: Pre-mix or mix on the course your Infinit?
I use Infinit too. Check with the Infinit people to be sure but I think that different from the Hammer products you can pre-mix the Infinit and it won't spoil. I always make my bottles the night before long bike rides because it lessens the foaming of the protein in the mix but I keep mine in the fridge before the ride so it's not apples to apples exactly.
2012-08-18 6:42 PM

I am using Infinte at IMWI in 3 weeks. Doing the following, which I have used in training:

2 bottles of concentrated mix (3 servings each, so 6 scoops and water in each bottle).

Mark bottles so you know where 1/3 (or one serving) is.

Pour 1/3 of bottle into aero bottle on the fly, then add water to fill from water stops.

Viola! Tip - blow some bubbles into aero bar to mix solution up

All ears if people have other solutions.

2012-08-19 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

Oooh, I'll have to try blowing bubbles!

I also make a concentrated bottle.  So I start with my aero drink full of regular and have one triple concentrated bottle behind my seat.  I'll mix it morning of and place on my bike.  You can mix infinit the night before if you can refridgerate it, but I wouldn't leave it out.  Then use 1/3 of the mix at a time and add water from the course.  I don't know about others, but I think mixing more than 3x in one bottle is too much, it doesn't seem to disolve well.  So depending on how many calories you need, and how strong your mix is, you can figure out how many bottles.

2012-08-19 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I use Infinit and I don't premix for special needs.  I just have it premeasured in an empty bottle. 
2012-08-19 9:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Concentrate them. One less thing to worry about and fumble with during the race.

2012-08-28 5:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I tried to mix it in special needs for my first IM, was messy and took way too long.  Definately premix your Infinit and put in special needs.  Mixes with protien, however may well have premix issues. If you do not add protien to your Ininit you should be fine. I did my last two IM's with it premixed no problem, same plan for this year's IM.
2012-08-29 4:15 PM

User image

Regular
I've premixed up to a 6 hour bottle - 12 scoops of infinit.  I then squeeze 1/6th of the infinit into my aero drink bottle and add water.  I'll most likely have a back-up mixed bottle in my special needs bag in case of emergency (losing the bottle...)  This is easy, and no dealing with powder and shaking up a bottle while trying to ride.
2012-08-29 4:25 PM

I premix 1 concentrated bottle for the first three hours the night before and refridgerate.  I then put a second bottle of powder only (concentrated mix again) in SN and add water at first aid station after SN or SN if water is there.  The one thing I've run into is that they don't always have water at SN.  This past weekend I did IMLOU.  I picked up the bottle at SN with the powder in it but couldn't add water until the next aid station.  There was no water available (or left maybe - not sure as I am not super fast so don't know if it was there early) in SN.

I've never had Infinite go bad on me - but I've only left it out in the heat for any period of time in powder form.

(also - mine had protein in it)

2012-08-29 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran

I had mine premixed in my SN bag. I will  be doing the same this year at Coz., grab and go. Just practice drinking them warm on your long bike rides now. I mix them the morning of my rides with tap water and go.

cheers

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-mix or mix on the course your Infinit? Rss Feed