Take a nap at the park and wait for your friend at midnight0 Votes - [0%]
Live 4 days at the park waiting for the S/O to pick you up2 Votes - [5.56%]
You are form Jersey??? Justhot wire the dang thing!1 Votes - [2.78%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2012-08-18 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: What would you have done?

So, I like running around Cooper River in South Jersey.  Nice 3.65 mile loop.  Typically run twice a week with each run 3x around the park.  When I run, I always run with my iPod, which is in one of those armbands.  I put my car key in the iPod armband b/c my running shorts have no pockets.  Never had a problem with the car key falling out.  The house key and other keys I leave in my car.

Starting my run, I turn on the iPod to start the music.  But the iPod was acting weird, which happens sometimes when the iPod is situated funky in the armband in such a way that the power button keeps getting hit.  So I take out the iPod from the armband and start the music.  Then go running twice around the park.  Didn't do 3x like normal b/c I took the last couple weeks off running due to time constraints.

After finishing the second loop, I go to the armband and search for my car key.  No car key.  Then it hits me that I didn't make sure the car key was in the iPod after removing the iPod to start the music.  The key probably slipped out which I didn't realize.  

After searching around for about 30 minutes all over where I first removed the iPod from the armband, I realized I'm not finding it.  I'm going to have to go to my house, get my spare and come back to the car.

I go to a medical building next to the park and ask to use their phone.  My girlfriend's out of the state for the week, so she can't help.  I called 2 friends, one not home and one couldn't come get me for 4 hours, which at that point would be midnight.  Then thought to call a cab.  Cab was going to cost $80 to go from the park to my house and back.  The round trip was 8 miles.

Thinking, damn, that's a lot, I said to the nice lady at the medical building, give me a minute and thanked her for letting me use their phone.  Went around the park again for a little bit looking for the key.  Decided that it was basically completely lost and I'll never see it again.  Then figured, you know what, it's 8 miles.  Just did 7.3 miles.  Since my typical run is 11 miles (3x around the park), what's pushing it a few miles more?

Then started running home.  Since I'd taken off the past couple weeks, I wasn't as fast as normal, but go about 5 miles into the 8 miles and walked the rest of the way, with my feet killing me by the end of the way.  Then got on the tri bike and biked back to the car with my spare key.  Put the bike on my rack (rack is permanently on the car during the tri season) and drove home.

So, what would you have done?  Taken the cab or made the round trip home a spontaneous workout.

2012-08-18 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4369303

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: RE: What would you have done?
Good choice, sir.  I'm glad you were close enough to run back and get the spare car keys.
2012-08-18 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

run home then wait for someone to be able to take you back to your car?

or take the cab home and then do the same.

2012-08-19 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

I lost my car key on a run once, I noticed it was missing when I was almost back to the car. I thought I would just retrace my path and look, without any real hope of finding the key. Amazingly I found the key about two miles back in the middle of a very busy walkway by the beach. I still am suprised nobody picked it up or kicked it into the gutter.

2012-08-19 3:18 PM

User image

Wesley Chapel , Florida
you did it the  right way
2012-08-19 3:29 PM

Veteran
Thought that all you Jersey boys knew how to break into a car and hot-wire it!!!!

2012-08-19 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
You were a victim of poor planning. Did you ever consider what you would do if you lost your car key while running?

My practice is to lock all my keys in the truck, then run with just the door-lock remote. If you loose that, then you call AutoClub and have them open your car for you. You then retrieve your keys and drive home after having done your normal, planned workout.

So, far I've never lost my remote while running, or biking. But I'm ready should that remote possibility ever occur.

No AutoClub membership, or similar option? Also poor planning. If you can afford a tri bike, you can afford a roadside assistance service. Probably the cab ride too.

Edited by duggar1 2012-08-19 3:54 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you have done? Rss Feed