General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another swim death...USAT race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4369701

Subject: RE: another swim death...USAT race

I really like the idea of seeding by time instead of gender/age groups. I know some people would seed themselves incorrectly, but at least it'd be potentially closer to having the faster swimmers up front and going back to the slower/more nervous swimmers.

At a recent, local tri, the 30-34W were followed by the 20-24M. I had one of the speedy guys catch up to me and hit my leg. Thankfully there was no pull along with that (which would've likely ended up with me going backwards). Maybe seeding by time would help prevent some of that?

2012-08-20 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Y'all do realize this was not any normal race but was the AG National Championship?

Water temp was nice and warm 72.

In water floating start and we were in the water for a good 6-10 minutes. Opportunity to do warm up and everything

In others words, I'm not convinced any of the suggestions above would have made any difference at all.

BTW, I was there.
2012-08-20 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Y'all do realize this was not any normal race but was the AG National Championship?

In water floating start and we were in the water for a good 6-10 minutes. Opportunity to do warm up and everything

In others words, I'm not convinced any of the suggestions above would have made any difference at all.

BTW, I was there.
2012-08-20 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4371273

handerson2005 - 2012-08-20 11:33 AM

I really like the idea of seeding by time instead of gender/age groups. I know some people would seed themselves incorrectly, but at least it'd be potentially closer to having the faster swimmers up front and going back to the slower/more nervous swimmers.

At a recent, local tri, the 30-34W were followed by the 20-24M. I had one of the speedy guys catch up to me and hit my leg. Thankfully there was no pull along with that (which would've likely ended up with me going backwards). Maybe seeding by time would help prevent some of that?

Only if the RD were not pressured by the police/hosting community to "compress" the race.  Most races that I've been at (even the women only newbie ones) start with the pros first and then follow with the slowest/oldest first down to fastest.  So, you will have the fast swimmers having to swim past/around/over the slower ones. 

If they started the slowest swimmers first (and probably that would mean slow on the bike and the run) the race could last at least an hour (or more depending on length) longer.  I'm not so sure the police/community would go for that.  You could say, "Pull them off the course".  And that's true.  But RD want their athletes to succeed.  Even the slow ones.  (I'm one of them )

2012-08-20 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4372180

User image

Expert

crowny2 - 2012-08-20 6:12 PM Y'all do realize this was not any normal race but was the AG National Championship?

BTW, I was there.

Thanks for this Crowny.

Triathlon swims are safe.  I would go as far to say you're safer doing a triathlon swim then you are driving your car, flying, riding your bike in training, running in training, riding the subway..

2012-08-20 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
When I heard about this (I was there too) I immediately thought of SIPE (http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html). Two years ago I DNFd an oly during the swim with SIPE symptoms, and then DNFd during the bike leg after a sprint swim with the same symptoms.

I have 30 years of competitive swimming under my belt, six years of triathlon, several half irons, and an iron as well as numerous sprints and olys and this thing scared the out of me and could certainly have caused me to drown on a rougher course.

Basically it feels at first like you are hypoxic, sort of a normal feeling if you start hard--out of breathe etc. My first thought was that it was hypoxia and if I slowed down a bit I would get my breathe back. But that doesn't happen. You can't catch your breath, its like your lungs are full, because they are. And you feel as if you can't float either, because you can't get any air. In the first race I pulled myself because I had a bigger event coming up and I thought maybe it was a flu bug coming on. The next time it happened I finished the 600 yard swim but coughed/sputtered foamy pink stuff for the entire bike. In each case it took several hours before I felt normal again and in each case I was very scared while in the water.

I saw my doctor who did a billion tests and found nothing wrong with me. Then I found the site I listed above and haven't had it happen since. It seems a combination of the increased blood pressure in a wetsuit and the higher heart rate of a race can cause your lungs to fill up with fluid. I now start my races at very easy pace, warm up really, and then gradually speed up. In reviewing my past races I think I always had some degree of this--once I changed my swim strategy my swim times actually remained the same but my bike times improved.

In any case, without knowing anything more than the guy was experienced and fast (based on a post on ST from someone who knew him) I would put money on this happening to him. It was hard to see swimmers in Burlington and my personal opinion, before knowing someone died, was that I didn't like how few lifeguards/boats/kayaks I saw.

Edited by k_hase 2012-08-20 8:35 PM

2012-08-20 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4372351

User image

Elite

k_hase - 2012-08-20 9:33 PM When I heard about this (I was there too) I immediately thought of SIPE (http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html). Two years ago I DNFd an oly during the swim with SIPE symptoms, and then DNFd during the bike leg after a sprint swim with the same symptoms. I have 30 years of competitive swimming under my belt, six years of triathlon, several half irons, and an iron as well as numerous sprints and olys and this thing scared the out of me and could certainly have caused me to drown on a rougher course. Basically it feels at first like you are hypoxic, sort of a normal feeling if you start hard--out of breathe etc. My first thought was that it was hypoxia and if I slowed down a bit I would get my breathe back. But that doesn't happen. You can't catch your breath, its like your lungs are full, because they are. And you feel as if you can't float either, because you can't get any air. In the first race I pulled myself because I had a bigger event coming up and I thought maybe it was a flu bug coming on. The next time it happened I finished the 600 yard swim but coughed/sputtered foamy pink stuff for the entire bike. In each case it took several hours before I felt normal again and in each case I was very scared while in the water. I saw my doctor who did a billion tests and found nothing wrong with me. Then I found the site I listed above and haven't had it happen since. It seems a combination of the increased blood pressure in a wetsuit and the higher heart rate of a race can cause your lungs to fill up with fluid. I now start my races at very easy pace, warm up really, and then gradually speed up. In reviewing my past races I think I always had some degree of this--once I changed my swim strategy my swim times actually remained the same but my bike times improved. In any case, without knowing anything more than the guy was experienced and fast (based on a post on ST from someone who knew him) I would put money on this happening to him. It was hard to see swimmers in Burlington and my personal opinion, before knowing someone died, was that I didn't like how few lifeguards/boats/kayaks I saw.

Would only the coughing up blood and frothy cough be the only symptoms that would seperate it from a person who has some anxiety in a particular part of the course....some people with anxiety will also feel a little short of breath, chest tightness, nervous etc...this is not a challenge but a real question, because I can see early on before the respiratory symptoms that people could confuse it.

2012-08-20 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4370033

New user

I appreciate your comments. I too struggle in the start. I get winded even in the warmups of swimming. Same thing with running. It takes me about 10-20 mins of running to settle down and get my breathing right. When swimming i start my workout with 400 yards of sprinting. I get really winded but after i take a short break, i can swim all day and feel like my breathing is under control. i will be in the water warming up at race time.
2012-08-20 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4372301

User image

Pro
RushTogether - 2012-08-20 7:47 PM

crowny2 - 2012-08-20 6:12 PM Y'all do realize this was not any normal race but was the AG National Championship?

BTW, I was there.

Thanks for this Crowny.

Triathlon swims are safe.  I would go as far to say you're safer doing a triathlon swim then you are driving your car, flying, riding your bike in training, running in training, riding the subway..

Preach on!!

2012-08-20 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4372301

User image

Pro

Edited by Left Brain 2012-08-20 10:57 PM
2012-08-20 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

How many people have heart attacks ...

mowing the lawn

cleaning the basement

eating dinner

going for a walk

driving a tractor

Let's see how these statistics stack up against triathlon.  Oh wait, they probably don't keep stats on these events, just that there was a heart attack etc.

I do agree that one should be prepared for the swim.

2012-08-20 11:32 PM

User image

Pro

The great thing about triathlon, or any endeavor we do for pleasure and entertainment, is that you don't have to participate if you think it's too dangerous.  A real triathlon starts with a mass swim and everybody racing each other....always has, always will.  

That being said, I'm really good with all the variations that have risen......there is absolutely something for everyone.....as it should be.  Find a race that starts with a pool, or a TT, or whatever you are comfortable with.....but DO NOT impose regulations on those of us who enjoy the race as it was conceived.

Hey...I know of a triathlon in a 50M pool that is 4ft. deep from end to end.  Many of the participants walk a large portion, if not all, of it.  Whatever....it's all good.  I've done the race a few times and it's very well run and very well received, over 400 participants. If you are REALLY scared of the swim, PM me and I'll tell you where the race is.....you'll have a blast.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-08-20 11:36 PM
2012-08-21 12:00 AM

User image

First of all, this is incredibly sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends and fellow triathletes. Let's not lose sight of the acute tragedy of someone pursuing his dream and getting close to realizing it, only to lose his life in the process.

Second, let's get back to the whole question of why people triathlon in the first place: because every good race is a challenge for all of us, whether we are newbies or elites. Because it forces us to do things we are not good at, or at least not as good at as our primary sport. Because of the community. Because it is empowering. Because it requires mental as well as physical endurance. Because it's risky. Because it's tough.

So I am disheartened to see anyone using this tragedy to try to stop newcomers from attempting the sport. I am a new swimmer myself who trained conscientiously for months to get to the point where I could swim an Oly distance in open water (see my pre-first race post, "I'm not going to drown... Right?") It was fear, not lack of fitness, that threatened my race, and it took everything in me to keep myself from panicking in the open water in spite of several pre-race OW sessions (including one organized by a local tri club and endorsed by the race). But I did it, with a great split time, and overcame that fear, and that's been a powerful lesson for my life outside triathlon as well. I know my stroke is still a mess, but I can't yet afford private lessons, so I just keep reading BT, watching YouTube, and getting in the pool or lake as often as I can, and I am proud of myself even when the collegiate swimmers and experienced masters sail right past me. I know that long after my knees give out and my bones are all shattered from cycling accidents, I will enter old age with a lifetime sport that I only discovered because of triathlon. (Provided I still have my collarbone and functioning rotator cuffs, insha'allah.)

Maybe it is tough, if you're an elite triathlete, to put up with the slowpokes, the strugglers, the newbies, and the swimmers who panic, but I have little sympathy. There wouldn't be all these great races in the first place if it weren't for the rest of us and our entry fees, which fund our closed roads and your prize money. Athletics isn't just for lifelong athletes; the power to improve ourselves through training, hard work, and determination is a gift God gave us all. I'm proud to be part of a sport that helps people transform their lives. The more, the merrier - and yes, that goes for attentive eyes in kayaks, too.
2012-08-21 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4372402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
FELTGood - 2012-08-20 10:16 PM

k_hase - 2012-08-20 9:33 PM When I heard about this (I was there too) I immediately thought of SIPE (http://www.endurancetriathletes.com/sipe.html). Two years ago I DNFd an oly during the swim with SIPE symptoms, and then DNFd during the bike leg after a sprint swim with the same symptoms. I have 30 years of competitive swimming under my belt, six years of triathlon, several half irons, and an iron as well as numerous sprints and olys and this thing scared the out of me and could certainly have caused me to drown on a rougher course. Basically it feels at first like you are hypoxic, sort of a normal feeling if you start hard--out of breathe etc. My first thought was that it was hypoxia and if I slowed down a bit I would get my breathe back. But that doesn't happen. You can't catch your breath, its like your lungs are full, because they are. And you feel as if you can't float either, because you can't get any air. In the first race I pulled myself because I had a bigger event coming up and I thought maybe it was a flu bug coming on. The next time it happened I finished the 600 yard swim but coughed/sputtered foamy pink stuff for the entire bike. In each case it took several hours before I felt normal again and in each case I was very scared while in the water. I saw my doctor who did a billion tests and found nothing wrong with me. Then I found the site I listed above and haven't had it happen since. It seems a combination of the increased blood pressure in a wetsuit and the higher heart rate of a race can cause your lungs to fill up with fluid. I now start my races at very easy pace, warm up really, and then gradually speed up. In reviewing my past races I think I always had some degree of this--once I changed my swim strategy my swim times actually remained the same but my bike times improved. In any case, without knowing anything more than the guy was experienced and fast (based on a post on ST from someone who knew him) I would put money on this happening to him. It was hard to see swimmers in Burlington and my personal opinion, before knowing someone died, was that I didn't like how few lifeguards/boats/kayaks I saw.

Would only the coughing up blood and frothy cough be the only symptoms that would seperate it from a person who has some anxiety in a particular part of the course....some people with anxiety will also feel a little short of breath, chest tightness, nervous etc...this is not a challenge but a real question, because I can see early on before the respiratory symptoms that people could confuse it.

The first time it happened to me I thought I was just out of breathe and couldn't catch it even an hour after leaving the water. I had no idea what was wrong with me and thought I was just sick or tired. The second time I finished the swim (because it was only 600 yards and I was almost done) I was short of breathe but also had a feeling of sinking. The water was very calm in both of these events so I was easily able to breaststroke or float to try to get my breathe back. They were also shallow enough that within a few strokes I could walk into shore. I would imagine someone who was an experienced swimmer would think that he was working hard and that if he just pushed on would catch his breathe.
2012-08-21 5:35 AM

Master
STL

I heard something that athletes who compete in endurance events such as marathons (I'm sure we can include tri's) develop scar tissue around the heart, thus causing heart attacks and other problems. Could this be why all these "super fit" and "highly trained" athletes are dying? If so, there needs to be research done and more put out about it so that it doesn't keep happening.

It's very scary. I had tests done a couple years ago because I've always gotten 'pains' in my heart area and they found nothings. Maybe it's just some sort of indigestion. I don't know. My dad said he's always had the same thing, but now, after 60 years and very exstensive testing, they found him to have some heart condition (can't think of the name). But it makes me want to go back and have a all out "heart physical".

2012-08-21 5:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-08-21 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4372605

Elite
Fred D - 2012-08-21 6:39 AM

I wanted to relay an experience I had this weekend....

I raced IM Mont Tremblant on Sunday. This was my 5th IM and I have raced 19 total triathlons. So not expert veteran, but not novice beginner either.

I started the swim wide and had been through very rough swims before at IMLP. I even spent some time on the beach providing calm advice to a first time IMer about how to stay calm and to keep telling yourself that it will get better.

We ran into the water and within 1 minute I swallowed a bunch of water. I could not breath. I literally could not move air and I was in the middle of a mosh pit so speak. I couldnt put my head in the water and was just in survival mode for a few minutes.

I did recover and subsequently swam so wide of all other swimmers that I probably added 5' of time onto the swim. This was not the basic terror that all IM's cause for me, but something different.

I have NEVER experienced that before and I'm in decent shape. Something happened which I'm not sure about still. I suspect if I would have had some underlying heart condition (I don't) that I might have been sent into a potentially fatal arrhythmia. 

The feeling was not just panic, but the inability to MOVE ANY AIR AT ALL. Imagine breathing without any air coming in or going out.

Again I do not have the solution but I wanted to share my experience as it so unnerved me despite my relatively long(er) experience and good fitness.

I don't like to throw out 'solutions' to a problem that we simply dont understand yet. Why not some people ask? I think it has something to do with my medical training and knowledge of medical history. So many medical treatments implemented over the years WITHOUT reasonable evidence have often caused more harm than good. This does not mean that I'm not worried about it. I DO think that it needs to be studied more, just want more information.

Thanks for sharing that story...I am a notch or two lower in the tri experience than you completing 2 HIM and several olys and assorted sprints but I had a very unsettling experience a couple weeks ago also.  Dont think I had the same "lack of air feeling" that you had but just a wekk earlier I had done a oly swim in 28 min and a couple months earlier a HIM swim so this short 500 m swim should have been a breeze, or I thought.  There was a lot of contact and it was unnerving to get bumped around but it was one shot to the head that I had not had since my football days that really got me nervous...I started to get a little gaspy and felt like the swim would never end....again I am reasonably experienced but I got out of the water feeling a little demoralized for such a short swim considering I had done longer swims pretty easily with no incidents...guess it goes to show you , no one is immune to having an issue in the water at times

2012-08-21 10:24 AM

2012-08-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4373004

Master
, California

Fred D - 2012-08-21 8:24 AM It's still guessing from my end. I don't know what happened and I am glad it's over. My hope is that in a few years more will be understood....

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to recover and get going again?

2012-08-21 12:22 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Can someone clarify for me...

This is getting REALLY concerning?  For you?  Your safety?  Other's safety?  Are you going to quit or make changes to how you swim based on this?

It seems to be happening in EVERY race?  Man, we have lots of races in this area over many years.  Not one death.  I can't imagine ever getting the feeling that it seems to happen in EVERY race.  Even if it happend 3 times in one year.  With a dozen races in the valley alone, it wouldn't seem like it's happening every race.  It would seem like an anomoly to have so many, but not EVERY race.

Threads like this bother me because they are just an over reaction, IMO.

The best thing I can compair this to is when I lived in Denver and there were always ski related deaths every winter.  Usually around a half dozen a year.  Probably MORE than die in triathlons.  Just like triathlons, many times it's inexperienced skiiers/boarders on terrain beyond their limits OR experienced people that just had an accident or nature/conditions got the best of them.

It's part of the sport.  People need to excersize judgement.  And even THEN bad things can still happen.  No one in Denver is cying "what can we do" about skiier deaths.  You do what you can.  Mark off boundaries and mark trails and tell people to be careful.  Ski resorts do avalance control and provide ski patrol.

There are risks and we all know what they are.  The sky is not falling, IMO.

All of the concerned people.  What are YOU doing about it then with your concern?  What changes are YOU making?  Or just voicing your concern?

Is it really concern just to say that, but continue to do everything exactly as you have been doing it.

Edited by Kido 2012-08-21 12:24 PM
2012-08-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4373239

2012-08-21 12:32 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

I have to be honest and say that all of the recent deaths were on my mind as I began my swim on a race this Sunday.  It gave me some anxiety that I've never had before.  I won't say it affected my swim or my time, but it was there.  Anyone else experiencing this while racing after all the hype on the swim fatilities this year?

I also noticed, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but were all 9 or however many USAT sanctioned event swim fatilities this summer men?  And were they all over 50?

Regadless of all that, such a sad loss.  When really fit people die prematurely it seems so unfair.

2012-08-21 12:35 PM

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
While I understand Kido's point, I think the OP's purpose is to say "even the most experienced can have a very bad day."

I have no problem with the mosh in the swim because I grew up in combative sports (football, wrestling, Judo) but I know my sister is really freaked by the possibility of getting kicked as shes getting into triathlons. She's as good a swimmer as I am but she can have a day go from fine to disaster if she doesnt recognize and get control of her fears and someone jacks her in the jaw accidentally.

I actually think people who are contact averse should find a masters water polo group and get some contact under a controlled situation.

I absolutely agree with the skiing comparison. But you do see more helmets on ski slopes now. Maybe people should have one of those safety float belts when they race.
2012-08-21 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4373347

2012-08-21 1:30 PM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I've said it before.

"When it is your time, it is your time.

Now, go out there and make the most of your time before it IS your time!"