Overall Rank = 2/9
Age Group = F16-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Swim
  • 07m 15s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

6 girls together in a 25m lane and although I am used to swims with many people in one lane this got chaotic right from the start. My plan was to draft the fastest girl and I knew if I could get right behind her I would probably be able to hang on. Well that plan went out of the window right away as the start was absolutely chaotic and I backed off a bit to not get hit in the shoulder (which is always a fear as that would make my swim a nightmare). But that left me last after 25m and I had to make my way forward again. Overtook 2 girls during the next 25m but then got stuck behind a girl who was right behind another girl and for the next 200m I tried to find an opportunity to overtake but there was no room. Several times I got to the wall at the same time as Helga but there was no room to go by....I got really frustrated at that point and even a bit mad as I could have swam so much faster!! Instead I had to stick behind and swim without effort. Even took a few breaststrokes to see whats going and see if I could squeeze somehow in front but there was no way....During the last 100m I just gave up and decide to keep drafting and finish the swim like that but I knew also I would have needed those extra 10-15 seconds ahead later on during the race and that proofed quite true!
What would you do differently?:

Overtake!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

(7 secs from pool to mat and rest thereafter)
Well clumsy me of course had to fall flat on her face taking the corner from the pool over the timing mat way too fast. Bang and down I was. But I was so concentrated I did not really realise it, up I went and off I was again. Shoes on went super fast and I decided to leave the Garmin behind for a change. Helmet and number on and off I was!
What would you do differently?:

Don't fall!
Bike
  • 17m 49s
  • 10 kms
  • 33.68 km/hr
Comments:

And then I just powered off on the bike. I had decided beforehand to switch pedals and bike in my running shoes, just to save time in T2 and that proofed to be a really good choice. It took my brain about a minute to realise that I cannot pull up during the bike stroke and after that it was fine. I just kept pushing harder and harder being still mad about the bad swim! Caught the first girl after the swim after about 1km and then the second girl right at the turnaround. She went by me again shortly after but then I had enough and kept pushing even more. At that point I met up with Gummi who tried hard to be a gentlemen today and let ladies go first but that did not really work once again as he overtook me right away again after I overtook him. Had him in my sight the rest of the time. The way back was a little harder than the way out due to headwind but I was so focused I hardly noticed the wind at all. Started spinning a little higher cadence during the last few hundred metres and then the bike was over before I knew it and I got first of the womens into T2.
Transition 2
  • 00m 10s
Comments:

Fastest T2 of the day but of course I did not have to change shoes so that helped a lot. I was in and out of there like lightening but I also knew I needed to be fast to keep my lead!
Run
  • 14m 9s
  • 2.7 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

I started running and I knew something was off right away. I could not catch my breath! I slowed down a bit and started to concentrate on calming down but it did not really work so I just kept running as fast as I could with huffing and puffing like crazy. The legs were so ready to run faster but the lungs could not handle it. The second girl overtook me about 1km before the finish and I tried for a few seconds to hang on to her but there was no way I could. This ended up being a lousy run as I ran the same pace as during the 10K last week and this was only 2.7km! At the turnaround I saw how far the 3rd girl was behind me and I knew then that I would keep second and I slowed down a bit more to be able to breath a little better. Was absolutely done after I finished and I guess I really pushed as hard as I possible could.

Ended second of the women in 40:11 which is a great time and a PB by about 4 minutes for this distance
Post race

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:15 | 400 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 4/9
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25m pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: