Palmetto State Triathlon Series
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 52s
Overall Rank = 13/62
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am. Ate two slices of peanut butter toast and sipped water. Drove to Greenwood. Arrived at 7:05am.
Event warmup:

The parking lots were spread out so it took me awhile to get my stuff unloaded and set up in the transition area. I managed to swim for about 10 minutes before the race started. Not exactly what I'd planned on, but oh well. Guess I'll have to get up earlier next time.
Swim
  • 26m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best open water swim. I guess the third time's the charm as far as relaxing in open water. I was very calm and relaxed. I enjoyed this swim. I took it easy and felt wonderful. It was going to be a very hot day and the water felt so good. I never got kicked or hit by anyone and my confidence grew when I caught men in the second and first waves. I know I could have swam faster, but I this was my first Oly distance so I wanted to pace myself.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, I guess.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I'm slow in transition. I use it as a chance to catch my breath. Once I get to the mount line, though, it is time to get busy!

Learn how to transition faster.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 25s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fun bike course. I sat up and waved to the cameras. I rode very steady. It just felt GOOD! I was very surprised to see how fast my bike time was because it felt so good. I wasn't trying to kill it because I knew I still had the dreaded 10K run left.

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Once again, I'm not the fastest in transition. I also opened a gel while running out.
Run
  • 55m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran from aide station to aide station. When I reached the aide stations, I walked, drank and poured water all over myself then started running again. I know I'm capable of a faster 10K split, but it was soooo hot and my feet were killing me. I decided at the beginning of the race that whatever my time, it would be a personal best because this was my first oly. So I took my time through the run course because I knew it wasn't worth dehydrating and getting sick.

More endurance run training. I'd really wimped out on my running training, concentrating on 5K distance so I didn't have any confidence in my ability to run an entire 10K attached to a tri. A lot of my running demons deal with my confidence.
Post race
Warm down:

Standing in the shower tent for 6 minutes guzzling tepid water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time spent running.

Event comments:

Set-up puts on a good race. I was very impressed by the number of volunteers out on the course. We didn't want for anything and lunch was catered by Outback. Yum!!! It was a wonderful experience and I can't believe I placed in my age group on my first Oly. I forgot to hit my stopwatch after I crossed the finish line and didn't realize it until after I got out of the shower tent. When I turned it off, it said 2:37 so I figured I'd finished in 2:34. When they were calling out the awards, first in my age group had a 2:27 time and second was 2:30. So when they called out "And for third place, with a time of 2:31...." I looked at my husband and said "oh well" and then they said my name. We were both shocked. It was a very fun way to end a very tiring day.

Last updated: 2006-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 14/62
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi trisuit
Course: Rectangular out and back. We started in one cove, swam out and around a small peninsula and exited in another cove.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:25 | 24 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 7/62
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Winding loop through the small town of Ninety-Six. It was mostly flat with a few gentle hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:46 | 06.21 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 26/62
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back loop with gentle rolling terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes