General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Series - Seattle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Triathlon Series - Seattle - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
The Xxtra Mile LLC.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 46s
Overall Rank = 33/1529
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/90
Pre-race routine:

My mom was staying with us so I made her coffee/breakfast. Some of my friends were also doing the tri and so we all decided to ride together. They picked us up and we headed to the race location. We scored a press pass :) and got to park close. Friends in low places, ya know?

I have been doing run focus training specific to marathon. I completed a marathon mid July and then got back in the pool for the first time in 9 months. I also bike commute every day. So there ya have it, that is my tri training.

I can say I got a PR and am really happy with the race. I felt as good as I could in all areas of the race but I know if I had done more specific training I could have done a lot better. Of course, with the marathon and my emphasis on it, that couldn't have happened, so, ultimately I need to decide if I want to do both marathon and triathlon and if I do I need to either do a better job of planning out my races and training cycles or just realize that triathlon performance will take a back seat. That is hard for me to do though.
Event warmup:

Ran around helping my friends who are new to triathlon.
Swim
  • 16m
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is a huge event so navigating the swim is always tough. Once I got into a rhythm I had to do a lot of weaving once I caught up to some of the people back and breast stroking from the wave ahead of us. My only goal was to swim as hard as I could an not let my friend from a few waves behind us pass me since she is a fantastic swimmer, haha. The waves started like every 2 or 3 minutes.

When I got out lots of friends and family were along the exit to cheer me on. It's so nice having friends and family out there!
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

This was actually pretty slow. This is a pretty big race so navigating the transition area is pretty crazy. I need to get better at whipping my wetsuit off ;)
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was pretty enjoyable.

I saw my friends as I was coming back across the bridge. They were all shouting encouraging and wildly inappropriate things at me as I rode by. I love em! :)

I was passing people left and right and then fighting a cross wind both ways on the bridge. It wasn't until the last 2 miles or so that a girl caught up to me and passed. She had a tri bike and was down on her aero bars. I jumped in and chased her to the dismount line and passed her with about 100 yards to go or something. We were probably cruising at 25 MPH or so. It's nice to have those people out there to push you.

Push the pace more. I really need to get out and ride hard more often and for longer distances if I want to get better. T.I.T.S!!!!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Run
  • 22m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I always feel like I go into auto-pilot on the run during a triathlon. I can never feel my legs and have no idea what my pace is. FINALLY at about mile 2 I could feel my legs and pushed the pace a little more. There is an out and back portion so I was scoping out the other runners seeing if there was anyone to chase down. I found my target and carried on. There was a pretty big hill at about 2.75 miles. I cruised up that and then started the descent to the finish. I saw my target in the chute and started sprinting. She could hear me so then she started sprinting. I was gaining on her but was running out of space. We were right next to each other and as we crossed the line I threw my head forward like I was racing the 100M (knowing full well the chip was on my ankle not my head lol) It was epic. We both high-fived then leaned on each other in exhaustion. As it turns out she ran a 25 minute 5K so I smoked her. It was a really fun finish though.

Still recovering/ramping back up after the marathon. I think I could pull a better time if that weren't the case.
Post race
Warm down:

I went and cheered on all my friends then waiting for the awards since I got a podium spot. It was so much fun!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training! Duh!

Event comments:

Danskin is always an amazingly well run event.

Last updated: 2011-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:00 | 804 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/90
Overall: 0/1529
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Just a big triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:29 | 12 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Along Lake WA Blvd. up the access road to I90, across the lake to Mercer Island and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:07 | 03.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Course: Along the lake and back, up a huge hill and down to the finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 12:17 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Danskin Triathlon Series - Seattle

2012-08-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4371415

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon Series - Seattle

Nice race!  Congratulations Smile

I understand that it is difficult to have a long event like a marathon as your A race and still try to fit in fun events like this into your life.  It sounds like you had fun and that's the best thing!

2012-08-20 12:52 PM

User image

Master
I agree, always way more fun when you have fans!!  And another free entry!!!  Great job!
2012-08-20 3:06 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I'd be your stripper.

Oh, and also teach you in the arts of wet clothing removal. You know ... wetsuits.

What are those three speeds in Spaceballs? Nope, it's like you went straight to LUDICROUS SPEED! (okay, maybe you started at warp trail with the swimming, went into crescendo on the bike, and then went flat-out ludicrous on the run ... )

Holy cannoli 2nd place AG champ, Batman!!!

2012-08-20 3:33 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Wow, chalk up another great race and great run for Salty!  Glad to hear you had fun, so nice to have a motivating cheering section to drive you faster still!  Loved the tale of the sprint at the end with the girl and throwing your head forward, ha!!   2nd place AG and high placement overall, too!! Good stuff!!  Congrats!  
2012-08-20 4:44 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Nice Race Salty!!

2012-08-20 6:34 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Sounds like a good race. But it sounded like you skimped on your usually meticulous pre-race nutrition and hydration plan. Perhaps because your mom was visiting? That must have added a couple of minutes to your time right there.
2012-08-20 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Salty Smashes another Sprint!!!!!!!!!

Totally awesome! Even with a run focus you are very competative at tri's.  I hear what you are saying but I think you have a great balance between the two!

Nice job!!!!!!

2012-08-21 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Awesome result for a course as crowded as Danskin!  Especially with lack of tri-focused training. I struggle with the same thing when working hard at one thing (usually biking) and then suddenly realizing I have a triathlon coming up!  We do what we can....sometimes in the past I have had two training plans at the same time and tried to do the average of each to make sure I was trained in both events.  Does that make sense?  This year I have mostly biked, now running and done zero tris for the first time in forever.....there's always next year.....focusing on run for now.  I have done more volunteering than ever, wish that burned more calories.

I love those finish chute races, no matter who it is, it is fun!

Congrats!

2012-08-21 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4372212

User image

Seattle

colinphillips - 2012-08-20 6:34 PM Sounds like a good race. But it sounded like you skimped on your usually meticulous pre-race nutrition and hydration plan. Perhaps because your mom was visiting? That must have added a couple of minutes to your time right there.

Ahhhh, right you are! THAT'S what I was missing!!!!! Good catch. I'll do better next time Wink

2012-08-21 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

You sneaked in a triathlon while I was not looking, you silly girl. Nice, fun relaxed race. WTG! Gotta love those. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Series - Seattle Rss Feed