F^3 Events LLC
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 10s
Overall Rank = 198/609
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/82
Pre-race routine:

Left work at 5pm and took a train to a bus to get to Montrose Harbor. While waiting for the bus I ate a Luna bar.
Event warmup:

Arrived with more than enough time to say hi to my friend Kim, one of the race directors, and gear check and hit the bathroom. Sat around for a bit and then with 20 minutes to go I did a warm up run of about half a mile.
Run
  • 26m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1 - 8:34
Mile 2 - 8:07
Mile 3.1 - 9:30

I didn't want to start too far in the back, but even though I tried to seed further up more than I sometimes do there was alot of dodging and weaving in the first mile. Thought I might have to throw some elbows haha. Well not really, that's a little humor since I busted both my 'bows in the spring. I felt ok in that first mile and decided not to look at my watch when I hit the lap button at the mile 1 marker.

The path started to open up in mile 2 and there was less weaving necessary. I just kept telling myself "This is a 5k, it's not supposed to feel good." Even though I wasn't looking at my pace, I felt that I was moving faster than mile 1. Hit the lap at the mile 2 marker and again decided not to look at the time.

Mile 3 was another story. I started to get a weird feeling in my stomach, something that didn't happen at my 5k PR in May. I tried to keep pushing and find someone to stay behind, but it was hard. I could feel myself slowing down. I saw a friend who was volunteering as a course marshall so I waved to her and that was a nice pick me up. Only lasted a few seconds, though! My legs actually felt ok, but the rest of my body was not too happy. Never noticed the mile 3 marker, so I hit my watch at the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Looking at the splits now (since I didn't during the race) I can see that the first mile was way too slow, I really picked it up in the second mile and I fell apart in the last mile. That second mile was my fastes mile ever in a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Pounded a cup of Gatorade and grabbed my stuff from gear check. I had paid an extra $5 for a veggie burger so I got in the short line for that. I did not partake in the beer part of Burgers and Beer 5k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crapped out in the last mile.

Event comments:

This was a wonderful inaugural race, and I'm not just saying that because I am friends with one of the race directors. I would absolutely do this race again. A mid-August race at night can be dicey, but we had a beautiful night to race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:10 | 03.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/82
Overall: 0/609
Performance: Good
Course: On the paths around Montrose Harbor and Lake Michigan.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-21 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Burgers & Beer 5k

2012-08-21 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4372844

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Burgers & Beer 5k
How's tummy now?  $5 extra for a veggie burger?!
2012-08-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4373162

User image

Veteran
Chicago
My stomach was ok as soon as I finished the race. Well you could get a regular burger, chicken or veggie.
2012-08-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4372844

User image

Expert
Illinois
Very nice job, Lauren! Sorry about the stomach issues, but it looks like you still had a good race. And great post race food too!Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burgers & Beer 5k Rss Feed