KLM
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 15s
Overall Rank = 67/169
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/22
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 5:00 and had a little breakfast. As has become customary, I didn't feel like eating much before this race. I made a bagel with peanut butter, but only had half of it. I sipped some coffee, but probably only had 3 or 4 ounces total. I loaded up my transition bag, threw the bike on the top of the Xterra and I was off.

I arrived at the race site right around 6:00 AM. I chose to park a decent distance from the transition area on the street even though I was one of the earlier people there. I got down to transition and racked my bike on the end of a row. I heard the organizers announce the race was wetsuit legal. YES! Then the bad news. They started announcing heats, and the heat written on my bib was a short course heat and I had signed up for the long. I headed over to the timing truck and within 5 minutes I was switched to the correct heat.

I took my place in the ridiculous porta-potty line to accomplish 3 tasks. You can guess the first 2. The third was to apply Body Glide. I chose to wear a tri suit instead of separate top and bottom and there was a little more going on down there due to the extra compression. After waiting 5-10 minutes and not really even moving, I started to get impatient. I decided to take care of 2 of the 3 tasks in the nearby woods during my warm up run and hope the third (second?) could wait until the end of the race.

I did my warm up and then headed back to transition to grab last minute items. It was still 45+ minutes from race start, but they were really pushing people to get out of transition so I did. I ended up waiting on the beach for about 20 minutes and since I was in the first wave, I waited in the water for another 15 or so.

Event warmup:

1 mile run. I also did about 50 yards in the lake just to see how the water felt. Took a Roctane right before the start.
Swim
  • 38m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm just about sick of sucking in the water. After Kansas 70.3 I started getting lessons, but I haven't done enough training for what I'm learning to become native. After a couple hundred yards I get tired and just revert to the same old inefficient stroke.

Sighting was terrible. I caught myself starting to get far off course a couple of times.

I tried to find some feet, but when you're as slow as I am, it's only a matter of time until the person in front of you starts frog kicking.

The silver lining is that I felt reasonably comfortable. I didn't have any anxiety and never felt overly tired. Regardless, my heart rate was insane when I got out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

More time in the pool. I'm going to up my yardage, and I mean it this time!
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Not my worst transition ever, but not great. I had some wetsuit issues and some sock issues. It might be time to try going sockless on some training rides/runs and see how the feet respond.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 57s
  • 23.13 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

This course is listed at 40km, but there's no way that's correct. In addition to the fact that my Garmin measured it way short, the short course is listed at 11.75 miles, and the long course is just 2 loops of that same course.

My heart rate was still way too high when I got on the bike (Around 165). The biggest climb on the course starts around the 2 mile mark, and I was hoping to have my HR in check by then, but it didn't work out that way. I redlined my HR up that climb and then backed off on the descent. I finally started feeling strong around the 8 mile mark.

I was able to push a lot harder on the second lap of the bike. I probably still spun a bit too much when I should have hammered, but all in all I'm pretty happy with my performance. This is my fastest race bike split for anything over 10 miles.

I felt pretty miserable for the first few miles, and I think that got in my head a bit. I didn't want to go back to that place once I got my second wind. I think I left a bit in the tank, especially climbing some of the smaller hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I'm not sure what happened here. I felt like I was in constant motion and was efficient, but the time doesn't reflect it.

Work on a flying dismount? Hell I don't know. I probably need to work on transitions in the garage a bit.
Run
  • 35m 21s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

My GI system was not happy with me once I started the run. For the first time on the day, I started to regret my pre-race decision to get out of the porta-potty line. To make matters worse, I drank too much on the bike and my bladder was starting to yell at me as well. I kept my run pace reasonably conservative because I had enough discomfort going on already.

The discomfort I was feeling came and went throughout the 5 miles, but never got too bad. Once I had about a half mile to go I knew I was safe to push a bit more, and I kicked out at about a 6:40 pace.

Reorganize pre-race priorities. Bodily functions #1.... warm ups #2.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and immediately headed to pack up. Spending 4 hours alone with 2 kids under 3 so I can race is a much appreciated gesture by my lovely wife, and I like to get home as quickly as possible to relieve her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Already over-described in the run section, but all in all I think my swim is obviously my limiting factor right now.

Also, I treated this as a training race with no taper. I did a 10 mile run the day before and legs were a bit nonresponsive from the start.

Last updated: 2012-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/22
Overall: 0/169
Performance: Below average
Suit: BlueSeventy Reaction wetsuit
Course: 2 lap rectangle with approximately 100 yard beach run after first lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:57 | 23.13 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/22
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course through lightly populated area adjacent to lake
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:21 | 05 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/22
Performance: Good
Course: Single loop on gravel park trail system
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-21 9:58 AM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon

2012-08-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4372941

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon

Good job!  I was out there too and that is a tough race! 

Bike has never been 40K.  Not sure they advertise it as such.  23.XX is more appropriate. 

2012-08-22 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4375323

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon
Tell3131 - 2012-08-22 1:50 PM

Good job!  I was out there too and that is a tough race! 

Bike has never been 40K.  Not sure they advertise it as such.  23.XX is more appropriate. 

I've done the race the last 3 years, counting this one.  The two times I've done the long course it's measured 23.13 and 23.18.  This is the first year I've seen it advertised as 40k, though.  See here:  Link

I was hoping they had actually added a little bit somewhere since they lengthened the swim. Although that would be tough to do on this course without introducing a u-turn.  In the end, I suppose it doesn't make a bit of difference if they're going to leave the run at 5 miles.

Edited by rageeumr 2012-08-22 3:31 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon Rss Feed