Run The Day
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 38m 39s
Overall Rank = 176/194
Age Group = F 0 -13
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Memorial race for my bosses son and was a 7:30 start so up early. Was raining when we left the house pretty good but looked like it might clear. All 3 of us had signed up but if it was raining figured we'd just do the 1 mile walk or just bag it as all about the charity anyway. Wasn't even sure Nicole would want to do the 5K.
Event warmup:

Stay dry but rain stopped 5 minutes before the start. Nicole decided she wanted to run with me and not do the fun run/walk.
Run
  • 38m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Wouldn't even write this up but my 7 year old decided she wanted to run a race with me so this was her first ever 5K! She runs with me occassionally but with how hot its been most of the summer its been sporadic so its not like she trained or really prepared for this but she is extremely active so wasn't too worried. Was thinking probably about 45 minutes especially given the hills on the course. We start out running along with my wife and she's just so excited. Basically I'm making her slow down to about 11 min pace as she guns it out at about a 9 min pace. I told her lets try for a 2 run 1 walk ratio and I would let her know when to run or walk. She was fine with that and after 2 minutes we took our first walk and Deb kept on going. We did this solidly until about 1.5 miles (her talking to me the entire time) when I told her to determine herself when she felt like running or walking. There were 2 girls and a guy who were around our pace who she decided she wanted to try and keep up with so really they drove when she ran as whenever the caught up or passed us she would run between 1 to 2 minutes. There was a group of college girls up ahead of us who would run everytime Nicole caught up to them so was quite an interesting dynamic. When we got to the point on the course where you go up over the last hill and you can see/hear the finish line I told her lets run starting right at the top and finish strong all the way home and don't let anyone catch you. She ended up doing just that and when the guy who was around us the whole time came up close behind us she just ran a bit faster and ended up finishing ahead of him! The crowd at the finish line was going crazy for her (she's also quite small for her age) and she just had the most incredible smile on her face. The race photog got her right as she finished but the pics aren't available yet.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, racing with Nicole was better than any race I've done myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Bought some raffle and 50/50 stuff as for charity and talked others from work who came out to support.

Last updated: 2012-08-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:39 | 03.1 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/194
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly for a 5K course hence the name!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?