United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 1110/1561
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 193/237
Pre-race routine:

woke about 4:15am, had my normal peanut butter and a bagel. Got all my stuff together and drove to the race. On my way i noticed the wind wasn't bad. As we crossed the bridge and saw the swim course i saw a lot of chop and white caps i started to get real nervous. I set up my transition. I drank my Infint drink to take in a few cals before the gun went off. Talk to a few friends just trying to kill time before my wave.
Event warmup:

when my wave was able to get into the water and did a small warm up.
Swim
  • 42m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

i watched the pros deal with that choppy water needless to say i was still nervous. I never swam in water that choppy. As the second wave went off it seemed the wind died down and the water was much better. When my wave went off the water was still in good shape. I didn't have to fight a lot of traffic considering i was in the largest wave. I had pretty much clean water all the way until the turn around. On the way back to shore the wind picked up again and it was slapping me in the face every time i went to sight. So i decided only to sight after about 10 strokes, i breathe to my right i kept seeing people in my wave next to me so i knew i was still on course. As i starting passing the people on my right i had to start sighting again. The buoys on the way back were yellow in the distance i could see something yellow as i got closer i realized it was a darn kayaker wearing a yellow life vest luckily i noticed well before i got to off course. Before i knew it i was at the pier and done that crazy swim. I wasn't to happy with the time but all things considered i think i did a good job.
What would you do differently?:

i don't think i would do much of anything different with my swim i know i am a decent swimmer it was just hard swimming in that chop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

nothing exciting happened at T1. The guy next to me blew his tire before our wave started, it was good to see he was able to fix it before the race started

i guess move a little faster
Bike
  • 3h 19m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike plan was staying in HR zone 1 for 10 miles then zone 2 from mile 10 until 40 then upper zone 2 or zone 3 for the rest of the ride. I pretty much stuck to this plan expect the last 15 miles or so. The wind was pretty strong which was taking a lot out of me and i knew i wanted to keep something in the tank for the run.
This is the first tri that i used a HR plan for my bike. I normally go by feel and walk away with good results. I didn't walk away with good results during this bike. I don't know if it was cause i based my ride on my HR or i was just having a bad day with all that wind. But i'll be sure to go on RPE from now on with my bike. It seems I have better luck with my HR when i run. I had a bad bike and put it behind me and learn from it.
Oh yeah at mile 51 i got a flat. :( Can you believe that?? Just as i started changing my flat a race official pulled over to ask if i was ok and needed any help. He also asked where i was on the race course. I said "i am at mile 51." don't you think he should know where i am on the course, he is a race official? When i told him i was at mile 51 he said "oh that sucks" Ya think mister race official?? :) :) It was nice of him to stop and ask if i was ok.

I need to put in more time on the bike, simple as that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

again nothing to see here. Did a fair job @ T2, i had to make sure i had all my stuff so it took a little longer.

move faster. After all T1 and T2 is free speed
Run
  • 2h 17m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked the entire run last year. I didn't want to do that this year. Last year it was CRAZY hot and humid. This year the weather was in my favor. The first few mile i was deal with some major stomach issues and side stitches. About mile 3 i pulled off and almost tossed my cookies on someone's lawn. At the 4 mile mark i almost tossed the cookies again. After that second time, the feeling passed as did the side stitches and continued on at a comfy pace for me. I walked most of the rest stops which helped. Overall i think i had a good run considering i am not a great runner off the bike and that bike took a lot out of me.

I need to do longer brick work after my longer rides
Post race
Warm down:

not much of a warm down. Just got something to eat and stayed off my feet i was tried after that race.

After i race i saw Steve "the gomer" i knew he would have a great day since he is a very strong swimmer, he passed me on the bike with the rest of the race, and i saw him having a strong run. Just as i thought Steve had a great race. great job Steve!!!!!

Event comments:

great race.... the last 2 year this race has owned me but i still think it's a great course.

Last updated: 2005-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 117/237
Overall: 0/1561
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: j shape course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:19:31 | 56 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 220/237
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: loop course with a ton of wind. A lot of head wind and cross wind. Some good sections where we had a tail wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 189/237
Course: 13.1 mile of out and back in the sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-13 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2006-06-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: #452597

User image

Expert
San Diego
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

"I had a bad bike and put it behind me and learn from it."

Thas is key statement right there. You're a damn good cyclist, things just didn't work out they way you planned, it happens and you learn. Do you remember seeing the sign at the beginning/end of the run that said "Finishing is winning"? I know what your goals wereand you accomplished the most important one. I'm sure at Timberman you'll show 'em what the for real Kleinrider is all about.

More volume on the bike eh? I have been toying with the idea of a weekly or bi-weekly century ride. From my apartment to West Chester and back is 50 miles. Double that and we're talking volume.

2006-06-13 11:07 AM
in reply to: #452614

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats on the finish! I guess I passed you fairly early in the bike (after getting my azz kicked on the swim) but I didn't see you. Good job on persevering to the end. The course conditions were brutal!

It was also nice to meet and chat with you at the start and pre-race time.
2006-06-13 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
nice job plugging away in that wind. it can be so demoralizing at times.

the kayaker got me too. between the bike official and the kayaker you may have been better off with no volunteers out there!
2006-06-13 12:27 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
That course has thrown just about everything it has at you the last 2 years and you finished it both times.  I'd say you own the course!  Nice job!
2006-06-13 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

With that wind, a flat at mile 51, and nearly barfing on the run ... finishing is definitely winning. Way to gut it out.  I think that kayaker got about everybody - if he had stayed next to the buoy we would have been alright. You certainly weren't alone by the side of the road either, it seemed like there were alot of flats out there.

Nice to meet you.  Hope to see you at a future race.

2006-06-13 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Great job in the race.  I was amazed at how many flats I saw during the race. I did see a car from the local tri shop with two guys who were helping with flats.  I think I saw them change at least 3 tires.  I'm surprised at the questions you got from the race official.  Pretty funny.

It was nice to meet up with you before the race.  I'll hopefully be posting some pictures today.

Ernie 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed