General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Guy to Tri........ Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-23 6:24 PM

User image

Subject: Fat Guy to Tri........

Well this is interesting........I have this fantasy about being a triathlete.....and I havnt told anyone until now......

Problem is Im about as far as you can get from being an athlete.....let alone a triath......well you get it...............and way overweight.......6'2" and 345.1 pounds as of Monday......

I have been lurking on here for awhile......like its the Sears holliday catalog and im dreaming about all the stuff I want.  But the stuff I want is to WANT to exercise and be in shape......I WANT to be like the fine folks on here......

So I started Monday.......hopefully on my journey to do this......Changed my eating habits and started yesterday with swimming for 30 min.......Already hit the gym today and pedaled on the bike for 30min.............and plan on swimming in the pool tonight as well.

Running is going to be a real challenge for me........definitely my weak point in the whole gig......I can swim well (played water polo and swam in HS)........I can ride a bike....used to be an avid Mountain Biker...........but the running part is a new deal for me.

Any tips/ideas/suggestions for a big guy are greatly appreciated..........I am in SoCal.

Shrek

(Matt)

2012-08-24 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4377631

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: RE: Fat Guy to Tri........

Welcome to BT Matt/Shrek and future triathlete,

Your dream is entirely possible, but start out slow, especially with the running, and then slowly ramp it up.  For the running part, I initially started out walking, then running for short durations mixed in with walking, then very slowly started running more and more.  Getting fitted for running shoes was important for me, so you might want to look into that.  It wasn't easy, but I bought a HR monitor and used it as a guide of how hard to push myself.  Like you, I found the biking and swimming far easier, but I still worked up slowly to my race distances.  Mixing it up helps a lot and keeps me interested in training and working out. 

I too had a dream of being a triathlete, as I was once 5'10" and 250 lb, and extremely unfit.  Guess what, I trained for a whole year and started eating healthier.  Slowly but surely, I lost 50 lb and did my first triathlon in October 2010.  It was an amazing feeling, crossing that line, being cheered on and hugged by people I'd met during the event.  I wasn't fast but my only objective was to get to the finishing line with a large grin on my face.  My ambition still hasn't changed but I'm 20 lb lighter now and I've got a lot faster, even finishing 5th in my AG in my last two sprints.  I'm still aiming to ditch about another 15 lb, but I'm loving the journey of training and racing and the way it's changed my life.

Work on it, and you will achieve your dream!  Have fun, and ask any questions, it's a great community we've got here Smile

2012-08-24 8:54 AM

User image

New user

Florida

You can definately do this.  I too was 250 pounds at 5' 10".  Personally I focused on eating better for the first six months when I decided it was time to get back in shape.

After that I started exercising, ramping things up slowly as I went and have maintained the weight loss for 8 years now.

I'm new to triathlon as well, my first is in a few weeks.  I had to find a sport with less risk for injury than BMX racing.

Most of all, just have fun with it.

2012-08-24 10:52 AM

I'm sure you can do it.  I was 5'10" 277lbs for my first one.  For your first one, find a one that you know you can finish to build your confidence and use it as a learning experience.  Do a couple bricks during your training so you know what is in store.  

For my first race, the gun start swim was a totally new experience.  Wasn't used to all the flailing arms and legs.  I also think I could have gone harder on the swim.  I didn't drink enough on the bike and cramped up on the run.  Like I said, it was a learning experience.  My goals were to finish and to not suck.  I finished mid-pack for the field so I accomplished my goal.     

2012-08-24 11:09 AM

When I started this year, my at home scale just said Error when I stepped on it, limit was 360. I started very slow, first all I did was cycling and started working on my diet, I slowly removed "bad" food items from my diet one by one and did not remove another until I was completely comfortable with it.

In July I did my first Sprint Tri, I walked most of the 5k, at our weight running is definitely the hardest part to get through. I am now down to 300lbs and still walk most of my "run" workouts.

Take it slow, have fun and enjoy every minute of it! And don't ever tell yourself you can't do anything.

2012-08-24 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

In January of 2011 I was at 240 (I'm 6'2) and ran collegiate track and field at 175 pounds about 15 years ago.  Needless to say, started slowly in the pool and on the bike so that I could lose some weight before I started running again.  Knees were always sore after running.

Now I'm at 180 and have done 10 tris todate.

Believe me, if I can do it, so can you.  It's a lifestyle change.  I never eat after 8:00PM.  Not because of some secret dieting tip, but because that used to always be cookies, popcorn, or ice cream (who am I kidding, it was all three!). 

Don't jump too fast into it and risk getting hurt.  Give youself days off as you are starting to get back into the swing of things.  Yes, you will be sore.  Yes, you will hit snooze on the alarm clock at 4:00AM.  Yes, you will be called crazy for doing this by the non-believers.  But who cares??  You will feel better.  Look Better.  And Live Better.

2012-08-24 1:03 PM

User image

New user
Michigan

I am 6'2" and was over 400lbs when I decided to do an Ironman.  Same kind of background you have,   I weigh much less now.  You can absolutely do it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  I'll be tackling that goal next year (did 70.3 distance this year along with a bunch of shorter races).

I'm not a qualified coach or anything, but I know plenty about losing weight while training for a triathlon.  Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. 

2012-08-24 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
All I can say is welcome home. This is where WE belong. Visit the clydesdale forum a lot.
2012-08-24 10:16 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for your messages.....it's very encouraging to know there are some like me out there....Matt
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Guy to Tri........ Rss Feed