World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 31m 36s
Overall Rank = 1813/2542
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 330/433
Pre-race routine:

Got to Mont Tremblant on Thursday afternoon. The place is amazing. The whole town was geared towards the race. You got the feeking of being a rockstar. Got up sunday morning at 4:00am had a bagel with peanut butter, bannana and a gatorade. Used the bathroom about 50 times. Headed over to transition at 5:00am expecting a big line but there was none. Got my tires filled with air and put my drinks on the bike.
Event warmup:

Walked the 1K over to the swim start and saw my good friend Mickey as I got near the beach. he has done IM's in the past and came up fro the race to cheer me on. I got very emotinal when I saw him realizing that the time to finish the journey was almost here. We BS'd for awile and waited for my wife and kids to show up. Once again very emotinal when I saw them, they kisse an hugged me and wished me luck. Took a few photos and I was off to the beach. Walking through the blue arch to the beach I thought back on all the training and time that has gone into this day and hoped to make it to the finish. Just before the pros start F18s fly over and Mike Reilly let's us know 10 minutes to go. You can see the looks off excitement, nevrousness and condidence as you look around teh crowd.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 58s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Standing on the beach I had a direct line to third bouy. I told myself this was the way to go. At the start I stayed in the middle and waded out. Not much contact in the beginning. As I got to the third bouy it got crazy, it was like salmon trying to swim upstream. Evryone was splashing around and it didn't seem like we were moving. I swam over a few people amd got into some open space. I looked for any feet that I could follow and latched on to someone until the first turn. I felt great but lost him at the turn. I had some space to my self as I made the turn back in and found someone else to draft off of. I stayed with this person all th eway in and felt great coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I thought I was looking at 1:20 or 1:30 for the swim so the swim went well for me. From reading different sites I was stressing about the water temperature, which led my to rent a sleeveless suit. I went with my full fuit after swimming on Friday and Saturday at the lake.
Transition 1
  • 13m 18s
Comments:

13 minutes?? I don't know what the hell I was doing for that long. I did make a stop at the porta pottybefore getting my bike. I knew it would be a long day and wanted to make sure that I had everything.
Bike
  • 7h 35m 14s
  • 111.85 miles
  • 14.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and told myself to take it easy it was going to be a long ride. My plan was to drink every 15 minutes and have a honey stinger waffle every hour and a gel every half hour. My nutrition was good because I felt like I had ebough energy during the ride. I may have drink too much because I had to stop and pee 4 times. Got to the firstturn around and felt good as we headed back. I was getting passed by everybody and their mother. I didn't let it get to me, I kept telling myself you have to run a marathon and finish this race. Made it to the second turn around and still felt good. Stopped to pee at the aid station before heading towards Lac Superior and the hills. Finished the first loop in about 3:30 and thought I could maintain that oace. I was wrong. I stopped at special needs to have an uncrustable, delicious. My family was waiting there for my and it was huge boost to see them. Stared to head out on loop two and stopped to pee again. I could feel it in my legs that this loop would be a lot different than the first loop. What had felt easy before was geeting a little difficult. When we turned back onto RTE 117 the wind had picked up from the morning and was in your face as you made the turn coming back. I got tired of the waffles and went with bannanas and perform, which worked out fine. Maded it to the second turn around and started doing the math and figured this loop would be around four hours. I just put my head down and kept pedaling knowing that I still had to climb into Lac Superior. I got to last portion of the course and told myself you have less than an hour to go. Worked hard up the hills thinking about the trip down going close to 40 miles an hour. Got to the turn relieved and stopped to pee again. Got back on the bike and had fun going down towrds T2.

Add more long ride to my training. The bike is always my weakest leg. I got passed by 1100 people.
Transition 2
  • 07m 17s
Comments:

Got off the bike and gave it to a volunteer and tols them "i never want to see this bike again!!" My bag was handed to me as I entered the changing tent which was not as crowded as the last time and got changed into my sneakers.

Not much. I took a bunch of gels and wafffles which I didn't really need as the run aid stations were stocked with stuff.
Run
  • 5h 21m 49s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to keep my arm warmers on from the bike but rolled them down after the first mile. My legs felt good off the bike and wanted to keep my pace around 9:30 minute miles. I walked to aid stations and managed to get to the first turn around in about an hour. The stretch of run on the bike path was boring because there were not any spectators just the people at the aid stations. I finished the first loop just under 2 1/2 hours. The run went right by my hotel and was able to see my wife and kids. I stopped to give them a hug and a kiss and told my wife I'll be back in three hours. Before you head out to loop two you are a few jundred feet from the finish line and you can hear Mike Reilly calling out names. Very Cruel. Just as I start the secong loop it starts to pour, I mean thunder lightning, the water is rushing down the hills. I am thinking that this should be interesting. This only lasted for about 15-20 minutes and stopped. Just as it stopped I look to my left and see a beautuful double rainbow. The sun is starting to set and its a bit chilly. I tell myself you can do this it's almost over. I am able to run until about mile 18 when I can feel my heart rate getting high. I try to maintain a five minute run two minute walk. I pick up a foil blanket at an aid station to keep warm and roll my arm warmers back up. I keep trudging along just telling myself to make it to the next aid station. I start to go with chicken broth after the rain which is fanatstic by the way. The last three miles I start the run with Candance from Florida, which helps the time go by. I cannnot believe that I am almost to the finsh line after almost 7 month of training and getting up at 4:30 all winter to run and ride the trainer. I make it to the top off the hill in the pedestrian village and run back down towrds the finish line. People are lining the course high fiving me as the feeling of elation overcomes me. I made the final turn towards the finish and know that this is it. I hear Mike Reilly say, "Hear comes Ralph Tocco from Long Beach, You are an Ironman!"

This is the first marathon for me. Maybe push a little harder on the run next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed by a volunteerat the finish, got my shirt, medal and hat to take my picture. Had some chocolate milk and a slice of pizza. My family was waiting fro me at the end and gave them a bunch of hugs and took some photos. Headed back to the room to shower and pass out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't trying to go fast, my only goal was to complete the race and I did.

Event comments:

I can't say enough about Mont Tremblant and the race. The place is awesome, I asked several people who have done IM's if they are all like this and they all said not even close. This was my first IM so I have nothing to compare it to. The whole community came out to supprt the racers and people were still congratulating me a few days after the race. My wife and kids ran a 1K and 5K race on Thursday, there were a ton of activities for the kids. None of us wanted to leave. It was a bit expensive but we treated it like a vacation. My one regret is that I couldn't make it back down to the finish to see the last racers cross the line.
I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without the support of my wife who had to sacrifice a lot so I could get my long rides and runs in on the weekend. Thank You, Allison. An ironman is an awesome experience but one that I will not attempt again until 2014. It is too much every year with two young kids and a wife that also does tris.

Last updated: 2011-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:58 | 4156 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 168/433
Overall: 864/2542
Performance: Good
Suit: X Terra Full suit
Course: One loop course swim out 1.1 miles over .2 and back in 1.1 miles.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:35:14 | 111.85 miles | 14.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 345/433
Overall: 1937/2542
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of three out and backs. First 18 miles on RTE 117 which is newly paved with a hill you bomb down on the way out and climb coming back. Second part is into a small town that has a slow steady incline before turing around to head back into Mont Tremblant for the last part which is tough yet fair. About 12 mile loop heading up hills some difficult and steep to the turn around which is almost all down hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:21:49 | 26.22 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 330/433
Overall: 1813/2542
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course. First three miles through the town onto a dirt path to about mile 6 and you turn around and head back towards another dirt path before heading back towards the village. The paths were flat the road into and out of town had some hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-24 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2012-08-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4378362

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Congrats on a solid race, Ironman! I totally agree with you about the community support and just the level of organization. What a great race!  
2012-08-27 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Congratulations!  It truely was a great race!
2012-08-31 8:25 AM

User image

Ralph CONGRATS IRONMAN!  I didn't know you were such an emotional guy - getting choked up around your friend, double rainbows,  
2012-08-31 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Congratulations!  The rainbow was a pretty cool end to the chilly rain we had.  Rest up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed