General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer time vs road time LSD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-24 2:59 PM

User image

Raleigh
Subject: Trainer time vs road time LSD

Hey all.  It's pretty common to read that trainer time equates to about 1.5 x road time (give or take a little for multiple variables).  I have a five hour ride (probably around 90-95 miles if riding in zone 2 on my route) scheduled this weekend.  However, I am in a time crunch with work, school, and training for IMFL. 

Caveat: I do not want to sacrifice fitness for the time.

I can put the full time in, but I have a couple of questions:

1.  Does anyone stand by the 1.5x figure enough that they would shorten a key workout long ride on a trainer to 3.5 (more or less)?

2.  In fact, if the measure is accurate, wouldn't it be best to shorten the ride to eliminate risk of overdoing a workout and not recovering for the next workout?

Thank you!

2012-08-24 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4379083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Trainer time vs road time LSD

I wouldn't assume this is true, unless you work significantly less hard while riding outdoors.  For me, a trainer ride is just a little more focused in that there is no coasting/resting.

However, I don't count it as any more beneficial from a time standpoint.  I actually find my average HR is a little lower on the trainer vs outdoors with the same RPE.

2012-08-24 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
The other thing to think about is the benefit of being in the saddle for 5 hours. Your body needs as much time in training as it can get in the aero position and sitting on that darn seat. Also the mental benefit and nutritional benefit of riding that amount of time. Just my thoughts.
2012-08-25 7:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

Would have to agree with the points in both responses above. And its as much about saddle time as overall work output. I had a 6 hour ride planned and had to move 'it inside and did 5:40 on the trainer. I wouldn't cut a planned ride like that by 1/3 if you have the actual time to do the ride. At the lower intensity of a 6 hour ride, you won't overwork yourself to cause excess recovery time, in my opinion and from the experience.

2012-08-25 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
+1
I agree that trainer rides have advantages...but not necessarily over the long ride.
2012-08-26 7:01 PM

Master
Northern IL
brade - 2012-08-24 2:59 PM

Hey all.  It's pretty common to read that trainer time equates to about 1.5 x road time (give or take a little for multiple variables).  I have a five hour ride (probably around 90-95 miles if riding in zone 2 on my route) scheduled this weekend.  However, I am in a time crunch with work, school, and training for IMFL. 

Caveat: I do not want to sacrifice fitness for the time.

I can put the full time in, but I have a couple of questions:

1.  Does anyone stand by the 1.5x figure enough that they would shorten a key workout long ride on a trainer to 3.5 (more or less)?

2.  In fact, if the measure is accurate, wouldn't it be best to shorten the ride to eliminate risk of overdoing a workout and not recovering for the next workout?

Thank you!

I don't stand by it at all. I have not seen anything in my riding to use anything other than an hour is an hour at a given effort. They don't necessarily feel exactly the same, but then again, not all outdoor rides feel the same either. I just see it as a little different type of ride for the given duration.

Now what might not show up is the non-power development things. Like everything you use for stabilization. A trainer does not work those, and you do want them to function well for the entire ride. Because of that, it is better to do the riding outside, especially the long ride if you're going to use both in & out. But a trainer is going to be far better than not riding at all.

Edited by brigby1 2012-08-26 7:03 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer time vs road time LSD Rss Feed