General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats the earliest you have run in the morning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4382411

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Whats the earliest you have run in the morning
DanielG - 2012-08-27 1:12 PM

Frank in St. Louis - 2012-08-27 2:06 PM

DanielG - 2012-08-27 12:39 PM

Frank in St. Louis - 2012-08-27 1:25 PM

Who *are* you people??!!

Especially you folks who "naturally" wake up at 3:30 or 4:00!! That's not "morning" that's the middle of the night.

Listen, I've done it - usually do a half IM a year, done one IM - so, I get it... somewhat. I did it (and still do it when I have to) but I *never* got used to it. I always feel like: "I shouldn't be up. I should be back in bed. This is odd and unnatural. I'm really tired." I could never "train" my body to get up that early. Even after doing it for months at a time.

The thing is - I'm not a night person or a morning person. I'm a *sleep* person. 8 hours is normal. 9 is ideal. Less than 7 and I'm falling asleep at the wheel. Literally.

Sleep is *not* a luxury for me. It's a necessity.

Am I the only one?

I was raised by farmers who pulled themselves up by the bootstraps to be urbanites, then joined the Army. Mom still only sleeps about 2 hours a night.

For most of my life I've gotten 2 to 4 hours of sleep a night. No alarm clock, no no-doz needed. It's only recently that I found the wonders of benadryl and now can sleep 4 to 6 hours a night. If I wake up at 2:30 and don't feel tired, that's okay, I'll get up for the day and start it then.

I slept 8 hours one night...
I had pneumonia.

Huh?

Are you implying that it's a lack of toughness... or perhaps a lesser work ethic that some need more sleep? Or, conversely, that those who need less sleep have a stronger work ethic and just have toughened themselves out of a need for that pesky, productive killing, inconvenient idea of sleep?

I'm guessing that since your Mom only sleeps 2 hours a night and you are similar... that it's more likely genetic.

WTF? Holy cow!

You asked about those of us who get up at ungodly hours. I gave an abbreviated version of what I've come to terms with about how/why I sleep as I do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Never mind, if you want to take stuff as an affront that has nothing of the sort in it, enjoy. Maybe that'll make you sleep better.

Sorry sorry sorry. Seriously, no worries. Didn't mean for it to sound like a rant there. Obviously, I misread your intent and inferred...

Again - sorry.

2012-08-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4379492

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I've done a couple of 3:30 AM runs but most of the time it's around 4:30-4:45.  All depends on when I can get the neccessary morning "ritual" out of the way.  Nothing like being in the middle of a 10-12 miler and needing to take that morning "ritual" and not a single business open to the public.

2012-08-27 2:34 PM

New user

I really struggle to exercise at all. I just started "running" again back in June (couch to 5k) and had my bike tuned up last weekend. In my previous life I would get up between 0430-0530 depending on my distance to run before my shift started (0700), but 2.5 years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus and things went crashing down. Now I'm lucky to make it to work on time, there's no way I could get up any earlier no matter what time I went to bed. I'm also afraid it would be dangerous for me to try to run early (twice last month I made coffee on my way out the door and forgot to put my cup under the coffee maker and ended up with it all over the floor) I also have a lovely sun allergy, so I have to wait until the sun goes down to exercise. It's been a real challenge. My body prefers 11-14 hours of sleep per night, so I'm always tired. 

I miss being able to get up and get my exercise before work! I'm very jealous of those of you who can!

2012-08-27 3:29 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Did one of those Relays (Sunrise to Sunset across Florida) where we had to run continuously.  So in that case, I had a midnight-2am run.

Also did my 20 miler in late August before the MCM.  Late August, South Florida, you need to be done before 8am.  I started at 3:00, did 10, then my buddy joined me from 4:30-7 ish for another 10.

In the Corps at the end of OCS, you do a "crucible".  In that, we did 72 hours of movement with little catnaps here and there. It was over 52 miles according to the training plan in boots, utility uniform, gear, helmets, weapons, etc.  In theater, I had a late night that involved running (not for training) at 2 am.  But that's a different story.

I haven't run in daylight hours in a long time except during a race.  No time or too hot.

As for safety.  If you're running pre-dawn please get a red flashy thing and if you're worried about getting attacked, run with pepper spray.  It works on dogs too.

2012-08-27 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
The only time I get up before 6am is when I have a race.  Otherwise, all of my training is done at night after my kids go to bed.  LOVE running at 10pm!  (But, I also don't run more than 90 minutes or so.)
2012-08-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4380105

User image

Regular
Tucson,AZ,USA,Earth,Orion Arm,Milky Way Galaxy

rick4657 - 2012-08-25 2:47 PM Six years ago while training for a marathon I started my 20 mile LR at 3:30 AM to be back before my wife had to head to work.  The busiest intersections in town were deserted and I felt like I was the only survivor in the movie 28 days later (no zombies though).

I'm not averse to getting up early, but a 20 mile run before work, or its cycling equivalent, would likely cause me to run out of gas in a serious way before noon unless I knocked back a few octuple espressos.  How do folks function for a whole work day after a seriously early and long workout? Love to know if there are any tricks.

2012-08-27 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Well an update to my original post. I wimped out and could not fore myself out of bed. Felt like a real failure. Was able to find time though yesterday morning to get in my 20 mile run. Was going to be my second 20 before my 50k but bonked big time at 18.5. Had to walk the remainder mile and a half. It was not pretty. I think I screwed up the nutrition. Ran 8 miles before sip of water, had about 6-8 ounces and a GU, ran 6 miles, had 6-8 ounces of water and a GU, then tried to finish it out and crashed at 18.5. Thinking I should have had much more water and about 2 more GU's. It was humid out. Does this sound like it could be the culprit to you guys also? Sorry to hijack the thread.
2012-08-27 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4382920

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Does running all night count?
2012-08-27 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Ran 2 legs or a relay race at 1am and 3am. My next leg was at 8am with one hour of sleep. I used to run at 515am for training but found that my pace was so slow and I felt so sluggish that I now do all my morning runs on my break at 930am.
2012-08-27 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
0645, in Feb. -30 celcius... Crisp!!!

Though, I have a feeling my training is going to have to happen at all sorts of crazy times now with a 2 month old in the house!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats the earliest you have run in the morning Rss Feed  

of 3