General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rattlesnake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Rattlesnake Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 7s
Overall Rank = 129/359
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

I got up about 3:45 and got my bottle of heed and peanut butter banana bagel ready to go. I had packed everything the previous night and wanted to get to the lake by the time it opened at 5:30 I am about an hour away.
Event warmup:

For warmup I did a few laps in the warm up water area and very light stretching then took my gel w/caffeine about 30 min prior to my age group start. The start was reverse age group order time trial start every 5 seconds with males going second so I basically was one of the last to start.
Swim
  • 30m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I found it interesting that I was one of the only few I saw without a wetsuit as the water temp was amazing. I am sure it was mainly for the increased speed but as this is my first season and I have already spent an arm and a leg I have zero desire to buy a wetsuit yet!
What would you do differently?:

I would work on going a bit harder I struggle with pacing too much in open water I am a much stronger and faster swimmer than my time and I left the water with tons of energy sprinted to T1.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

My transition went just as I have practiced and planned I ran with the bike and made great time fastest in my age group by a good amount. Probably due to no wetsuit only issue I ran into was one of the rubber bands holding my shoes did not break on the pedal stroke so I had to break it by hand.

Wipe my feet off a little better as I am putting on my glasses and helmet my feet were covered in gravel for the whole bike leg nothing too bad but rather annoying.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt amazing on the bike and stuck to my nutrition and hydration plan which included a 24oz bottle of heed and 24 oz of water and a gel at turn around. I did not finish all 48oz more like 30oz or so but I wanted it there if I needed it. I noticed that the large amount of hill work I did in my training really paid off I never had to leave my big ring and passed very large amounts of people on every hill. I really enjoyed passing people with the top bikes and gear on my entry level bike and gear hehe.

I would probably only carry 1 bottle and take one from the aid station if needed. Overall I felt great I don't feel I went too hard I will continue working on overall bike fitness as this was my first Olympic and only my 6th month of riding or owning a bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Felt great about this transition legs felt good I took it somewhat slow and used socks and was still 4th in my AG. I attempted to snag a water on the way out and lost it all on my face.

Possibly consider sock-less shoes as I ride my bike without them and adding them for the run just increases the time.
Run
  • 58m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I made a pretty big mistake not noticing that all my training had basically destroyed my shoes. Within the first mile the balls of my feet started to hurt rather bad and I was struggling with my foot being somewhat numb coming off the bike. By aid station 1 my foot numbness was gone however the balls of my feet only got worse as I went on.

I had made a plan to walk each aid station for a few seconds to make sure I got water in and on my head. I did this at each one and it felt good and I never lost pace with the people who ran through. I ended up walking about 6 times for a total of about 5 seconds each time. Although, I walked and struggled so much a 58 minute 10k Is a PR for me so I really cannot be upset with the time.

Make sure to check my shoes at least a few weeks prior to the race and possibly use a hat allowing me to skip an aid station or two.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected my shirt and medal and grabbed some food and hugged my amazing wife.

Nothing else I was not cramped or even tired honestly my feet hurt so I sat down as we watched everyone else finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight is still an issue with me which I am working on I have currently lost 123 lbs with another 15-20 to go.

Having bad shoes was another issue and I feel my ability to know what pace is ok in things such as the swim was another.

Event comments:

This was my First Olympic and is my first season I have herd nothing but good things about this race and loved it very much. I ended up buying a spot from someone who could not attend and that was the only way that I could afford it as the price is rather steep.

The shirt we received was really nice long sleeve nice material and very nice embroidering. The medal was a tad smaller than I thought it would be and is a bottle opener (I do not drink) However, I cannot complain as I got one and it was my first one!

Overall the race was ran amazing the volunteers were great aid station was great transition area etc. The parking was only feet away really can not say enough good things.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 0/359
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit Orca tri suit
Course: The swim course was amazing the buoys were well placed and the divider rope really helped with no head on accidents. The turn around on the beach was interesting however it was not as big of a factor as I thought it might be a quick 5 seconds out run around a buoy and back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:38 | 24.85 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was exactly as I had herd nothing too crazy but rollers the whole way. It was clearly marked and relatively traffic free fun and smooth course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:49 | 06.21 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was really flat with zero shade a nice concrete path out half way around the lake and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-25 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed