General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-26 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it...

I raced a sprint race yesterday, and it was great.  My last race of the season, I enjoyed every minute of it.  About an hour after the race I head back to the transition area to gather my things.  I'm talking to two guys that were getting their gear too.  I was talking about bikes with one man right next to me Probably my age or a little older 45-50 (The transition area was pretty empty by this point).  I turned away to pick up my towel, and i hear the man yell OOOWW!  I turned around, and her was lying on his face.  His eyes were rolling back, and he started to twitch.  I immediately yelled for others to call 911, then at the top of mu lungs started yelling HELP!  MEDICAL!  HELP!  

Other racers came running.  I went to the man and said stay still, I don't think he heard me.  A true miracle happened at this point.  An E.R. doctor who was racing got there first, and another man in a green T-shirt.  i backed up a couple of steps, and before I knew what was really happening them man in the green shirt was performing CPR.  The man's chest was compressing so far every time greenshirt pushed down.  More people were arriving, the E.R. doc was calling for an A.P. something or other, but there was nothing there.  They switched performing the cpr.  An EMT arrived, the E.R. doc asked for things, the EMT didn't have it, more CPR.  The EMT says "We have a pulse, it's strong!"  The mans legs were moving.  More people had gathered, there was a hysterical wife being subdued by others, there was a teenaged daughter who was beside herself trembling being hugged by others.  i noticed onlookers praying.   

"WE'VE LOST THE PULSE"  the EMT yelled, they had a defibrillator out now,  CLEAR CLEAR, they shocked the man.  (I can' stop crying while I type).  More cpr, and ambu-bag to make him breath.  The wife going nuts "SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING"   We have a pulse again.  Ambulance still on the way, I started moving racks to make room.   I'm a little mixed up now.  They had to shock him twice.  this man that I was talking to a few minutes ago had died twice, his heart stopped two time now!  The ambulance arrived, the man was talking, the wife was arranging a ride to the hospital.  i was amazed at the job the doctor, them man in the green shirt, and the EMT did.  They are true heroes and they saved that mans life I hope.  

After the ambulance left, I hugged a woman, then I thanked the man in the green shirt, I thanked the E.R. doctor, he said the man was very lucky, and i thanked the E.M.T.  as I was leaving with my Bike, the teenaged daughter was standing there.  I hugged her too, and said I can tell you that there was an E.R. doctor there, your dad was talking when they put him in the ambulance.  I don't think this helped much.  I hope that family is O.K.

Please be careful out there....

2012-08-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4380740

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it...
Wow. As you know, I was in that wave too, so I was on the same rack. I left pretty soon after I finished. I hope he's ok.
2012-08-26 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Wow.... I can see how that would be hard to shake. Lucky guy that you and other capable medical crew were there to step in.
2012-08-26 10:47 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Wow, having a code like that at the end of the race when most of the crews are getting ready to sign off......good thing your ER doc and EMS guys were till there.  Yeah, good to comfort the girl, she was probably scared out of her shoes.

Hope he recovers okay.

2012-08-26 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
What a great thing that there were medical staff racing along with the race staff/volunteers and a Defibrillator machine at the race. Wow, that was a miracle! I am glad he was able to make it to the ambulance and hospital
2012-08-26 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

That had to be a terrible thing to witness but you should be proud of yourself for jumping in and helping out. He is really fortunate as well to have had the EMT's and the ER doctor still there. I hope he winds up being alright and my prayers go out to him and his family.

2012-08-26 11:37 AM

Expert
Wow! It wasnt his time.
2012-08-26 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Wow!  I'm glad everyone was around to help out.  I pray that he is well today.  That had to have been near my rack, but I guess I had already left.  It's good to see everyone trying to help out.
2012-08-26 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

It's hard to imagine how I would react if faced with a similary situation. Great job staying as calm as possilbe.  He and his family will be in our prayers today at Mass.

2012-08-26 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
SoberTriGuy - 2012-08-26 11:07 AM

After the ambulance left, I hugged a woman, then I thanked the man in the green shirt, I thanked the E.R. doctor, he said the man was very lucky, and i thanked the E.M.T.  as I was leaving with my Bike, the teenaged daughter was standing there.  I hugged her too, and said I can tell you that there was an E.R. doctor there, your dad was talking when they put him in the ambulance.  I don't think this helped much.  I hope that family is O.K.

Please be careful out there....

Gotta disagree with you there. Though in that moment you may not have received much reaction or feedback from a person in shock, I guarantee everything you did from the initial call for help, MADE A DIFFERENCE.

Thank you.

2012-08-26 12:11 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
As an ER doc I can tell you that these things, when they happen in public, are not easy to handle either...it sounds like everything went as well as could be hoped for. bystander CPR is the biggest factor in survival to hospital discharge after a cardiac arrest.

While it sounds somewhat absurd for the wife to say, "Somebody do something", she didn't realize in the moment that those people, you included (THE OP) were doing EXACTLY what he needed to save his life.

I hope for a great outcome and thank you for being there and aiding where you could.

2012-08-26 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Definitely a hard thing to shake, but I am glad you were there to make the first call for help, you really did help this man and his family. You helped clear space and to give a few kind words and hugs to the family. Whether they know it or not, you were helping, for sure. I hope this man makes it out of the hospital feeling better. Thank goodness you and the ER doc and others were there to help. I'm sure you made a difference in the outcome. Can't stop shaking? Just pat yourself on the back. you did a good thing!
2012-08-26 12:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

Wow. Understandable that you can't shake this.

Everyone (hopefully) saved this man's life. Know that you being over there with him when it happened may be the difference as well.

2012-08-26 1:07 PM

On behalf of the Maple Grove Triathlon, we wanted to extend a very heartfelt thank you to everyone who responded to the medical emergency you described above.  

We have been in touch with our medical team who have confirmed that this racer arrived at the hospital coherant and speaking. He is expected to make a full recovery according to his close friend.

The gentleman faced a similar situation last week but not to the degree of yesterday's occurance. We join you in our blessings for those who supported him in this very scary situation and feel very grateful for his life-saving outcome.

Thank you for your care and incredible support. We can only assume how appreciative he and his family are right now for you.

2012-08-26 1:15 PM

User image

New user
You may be crying now while you type but you did what it took when it counted.  Nice work!  I hope he is recovering well. 

Edited by Tri-ingMike 2012-08-26 1:16 PM
2012-08-26 1:26 PM

User image

Fall River, WI

For anyone who wants more information on what to do in a situation like this the link below provides a basic overview of what to do in this very circumstance.  It is not a replacement of taking an CPR class, but it is better than nothing. 

http://www.danecallandpump.org/overview.aspx

Good job to SoberTriGuy and all involved on scene.

2012-08-26 1:28 PM

User image

Bronze member
Wow - my eyes teared up just reading about it. I can't imagine what it felt like to witness that situation. Thank goodness there were so many people around with the presence of mind to know what to do.
2012-08-26 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Wow.  Somehow this encourages me to get re-certified in CPR...
2012-08-26 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Wow waht a way to end the season. Glad you were ther to asist and hope he is all right.
2012-08-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4380910

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
MGTRI - 2012-08-26 1:07 PM

On behalf of the Maple Grove Triathlon, we wanted to extend a very heartfelt thank you to everyone who responded to the medical emergency you described above.  

We have been in touch with our medical team who have confirmed that this racer arrived at the hospital coherant and speaking. He is expected to make a full recovery according to his close friend.

The gentleman faced a similar situation last week but not to the degree of yesterday's occurance. We join you in our blessings for those who supported him in this very scary situation and feel very grateful for his life-saving outcome.

Thank you for your care and incredible support. We can only assume how appreciative he and his family are right now for you.

Thank you for posting this!  I'm so glad he made it...!

Thank you to everyone else for your replies...

2012-08-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4381105

Remember that he made it BECAUSE you were there, the EMTs were there, the doctors were there.  There was a defib, and ambulance, etc.  If he'd skipped the race and just been working in his garage things might not have turned out as well.

2012-08-26 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4381231

User image

Sobertriguy, thank you. The faster that someone gets help in a serious medical emergency, the more likely they will survive and/or come out unscathed. Your intervention made it so the responders could do their job. My thoughts are for you now.

You said that you can't get it out of your head. There's so much to be said on this, and most of it I would say in a private message, but with this happening more and more at races, I'm hoping that this will help at least one person. Please consider seeking the confidence of a professional counselor. I'm not saying you're crazy - not by any means. Events like this can cause PTSD in people who are witnesses or become involved in the situation. It's something that is being recognized in emergency services more and more, and at alarming rates. Imagine the effect on people who don't intervene in medical emergencies as their day job. As with an obvious medical emergency, the sooner there is evaluation and maybe treatment, the better someone does.

I'm not saying that you need help. I'm saying that this is something that is extremely hard to see, muchless participate in, and come out the other side unscathed. Nothing reminds us so much of our own mortality. My heart goes out to you.

Again, thank you. Your involvement made a difference to someone yesterday. Someone who means the world to his family.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-08-26 6:28 PM

2012-08-26 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

This is an excellent example why EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN CPR.  Early, competent CPR and defibrillation GREATLY increases survival in a heart attack victim.  If you're not certified please contact your local Red Cross and take a class.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

2012-08-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4381268

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
La Tortuga - 2012-08-26 7:24 PM

This is an excellent example why EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN CPR.  Early, competent CPR and defibrillation GREATLY increases survival in a heart attack victim.  If you're not certified please contact your local Red Cross and take a class.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Awesome point about learning CPR. I was certified when I was younger as a lifeguard and still continue certifications when they expire. Great knowledge to have.

As for the OP's post, I've witnessed similar at events. At my first HM roughly 11 miles in I came upon a scene where paramedics were working on a gentleman who I later found out had a heart attack. This scene still weighs heavily on my mind when pushing myself in any event. I only had a moment to see the gentleman but he wasn't old by any means and appeared in good shape. I later found out this gentleman didn't make it. Since that day I purchased a road id and hardly ever remove it.

2 months later at another HM I witnessed another gentleman go down 200 yards from the finish line while waiting for my father to finish. This was a scary scene but thankfully the man survived.

My first tri of this season as I was getting out of the water from my Oly distance swim an older gentleman doing the sprint was being worked on on the beach and apparently had a heart attack.

I didn't take any of the above as a sign not to continue endurance sports, but a sign to be careful.

2012-08-26 8:07 PM

User image

Elite
Dude... you did THE most important job... you started the response!!! Getting help rolling and responding is the most critical part. We notice things... and you know by the sound when some one YELLS help and how they say, it get's everyone on the same page. You played your part, that's awesome! AEDs save lives. If he was out on the course, things might not have went so well. That is a really good outcome, it is not the norm. It would be hard for me to shake too... very understandable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it... Rss Feed  

of 2