4 Peaks Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 2s
Overall Rank = 20/205
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, as usual, about 3am. Gathered my gear, took care of business, and had a banana and Clif Bar with G2 for breakfast. Loaded the car about 4am and headed up to Anthem. Managed to get a primo rack spot in transition - not too busy a race, so we were not cramped at all.
Event warmup:

Stretched in the grass about 30 minutes prior, went for a half mile warm up run, and watched the kids start their tri and run by into transition.

This is a reverse tri, so the listings of the events is going to be backwards.
Swim
  • 08m 1s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the last leg of the triathlon, and after pushing the bike pretty hard I could feel the fatigue a bit. I maintained a fair pace, but not as fast as I would have hoped. I probably lost about 30 seconds in the pool over the 400m, which would have positioned me into 3rd in AG for a podium finish. My stroke was ok, but I did not have my head about me and was not thinking in rhythm like I do when I train. Thus, I lost some pull strength a bit from this lack of focus.
What would you do differently?:

Keep my focus, get my rhythm a bit better, and pull, pull, pull.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

This was T1, from run to bike. I removed my race number (not required on the bike and I did not want to forget to take it off in T2 before jumping in the pool), got out of my running shoes fine, and into my bike shoes and helmet. Overall a good transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 29s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

My overall bike results show that this was my best discipline in the race. It felt like it, too, as I pushed hard on the uphill portions, and flew down the downhill. I was passed by no one, and passed a ton of people (especially on the 2nd and 3rd loops when more people were on the course). I rate this a huge success, as the 7 people with better bike times ended up the top 7 finishers overall. I scouted the course in the morning, but still underestimated the uphill sections and was not carrying the pace I planned, but it turned out ok when I compare to the field.

Nothing really, just keep pushing hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

This was T2 - bike to swim. I was out of my shoes on the approach and ran through transition with my bike just fine. I wore socks, knowing they would be easy to remove (did not want to run without them), and got out of them and my helmet quickly, donned the goggles and was up the route to the pool.

Nothing, I flew through transition.
Run
  • 23m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run, and not great. I held back my early pace just a bit, and let people pass me on the downhill portion, when we made the turn I leaned into the run and started passing most of these people on the uphill portion. My legs felt a bit heavy, and that might be that my season has just worn them down a bit.

Perhaps push a bit more downhill, then see if I can maintain that on the uphill portion.
Post race
Warm down:

Relaxed and watched the swimmers in the pool for awhile, then loaded my gear up and headed home when everyone was off the bike course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably just a little on-going fatigue from my season. I just do not feel fresh and energized at the start or during the race, so I put more effort into performance.

Event comments:

A good little race, and people are friendly and have a good time.

Last updated: 2012-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:01 | 400 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 28/205
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Serpentine pool swim, 8 laps, then out of the pool and back to the start for another 8 laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:29 | 12.43 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 8/205
Performance: Good
168 BPM avg HR
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop clockwise course, with an uphill grade to start for about 1 mile, then downhill for 2+ miles, then uphill back to the start.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:04 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 29/205
Performance: Average
169 BPM avg HR
Course: Out and back 5K, with the first 1+ miles downhill, then uphill for about 1.5, then downhill to transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes