Ironhead Race Productions
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde Master
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Up too early - had two pieces of toast with honey and coffee - drove to event. I was the first person in transition... set up, had a banana and then hung out with other racers for an hour and half....
Event warmup:

Ran a mile or so...
Swim
  • 05m 39s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

6 seconds off first in AG... swim felt good, had good glide and strong stroke. Passed first two people in front of me before 50M mark, ended up passing about 6 more people...
What would you do differently?:

Be 6 seconds faster...
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Had a good rack position right by swim exit. Was trying to move fast - skipped the socks and got rolling!

run faster through transition!
Bike
  • 40m 3s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

wind in face a bit after coming out on to John King. Small rollers into the wind. Made the u turn and tried to turn it up. Got good speed on the long leg to the other end of John King. Turned and it was back into the wind with a couple of hills. Passed a few, passed some. Much better performance with the Garmin working again!

Do some interval work!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

In, rack bike, get socks out. change mind, skip socks. fiddle with garmin wrist strap, decide I can fiddle with it and run at the same time... off I go... hope skipping socks wasn't a bad idea...

think clearer and just go...
Run
  • 33m 34s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 11m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Ughh... I feel being out of running shape on this one... did some run / walk. Finally got into my mind that if I was going to run /walk then I might as well run fast - after the turn, I started to run 8 min/mile pace when I was running and would run until I couldn't breath... walk until I could catch my breath and take off again... probably not the best strategy, but I got me over the finish line.... it started drizzling when I had about a half a mile left...

pick a pace and stick with it...
Post race
Warm down:

what's a warm down? I just doubled over trying to breathe.... vanilla frozen custard helped too... walked around a bit and then the downpour started... I thought my transition bag was going to float away...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of consistent training...

Event comments:

This is one of Jack's better races...

Last updated: 2012-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:39 | 328 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 25M Pool - bidirectional in each lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:03 | 12.4 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: out to John King and go from one end to the other.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:34 | 02.9 miles | 11m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Performance: Bad
Course: cross country-ish for fist almost mile, sidewalk and then turn around...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-26 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: Tri-Rock Triathlon

2012-08-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4381111

Subject: RE: Tri-Rock Triathlon
I too did this race. It was terrible from the start. Parking was limited to a muddy soccer field, followed by a short walk to the transition area. Jack verbally reprimanded numerous people during his pre-race military style briefing. The swim is advertised as  300 meters, it was 6 laps in a 25 yard pool, that equals 300 yards. All 150 participants(note; advertised as always sells out at 600...yeah right) started ten seconds apart. Swimmers going both directions in very narrow lanes made it quite risky/dangerous to pass all of the slower athletes that exaggerated their swimming abilities. The transition area was just fine. Out of T1, the bike portion started on a busy road with a portion of the right hand lane and shoulder, coned off for the cyclists going both directions to share. As I was returning to this area of the course, numerous bikes going out to start the ride were in the center of the coned off lane, forcing me out into the road. Thankfully there was no oncoming car traffic. The bike portion of the race was advertised as 14 miles, it was only 11.3 according to my computer. Numerous others verified this with bike computers and GPS as well. I hate to deflate any egos, but your bike pace was really 2.1 mph slower than what the results show. T2 was smooth. The run course was terrible. I have done many triathlons, I am not a newbie that had difficulty navigating, it was all Jacked up. The 2.9 mile course started out on concrete paths that went around the perimeter of the park area. Instead of leaving that area and getting out onto the road right away, we had to zig zag our way across and around several ball fields, going through numerous crime scene tape gates. Arrows were spray painted in ankle high grass, following them out to the road was not easy. The return through the park was the same path, not marked well at all and very confusing. I saw many people standing in the field with arms overhead and a WTF look on their faces. I normally save a nice kick for the last half mile, but running confused and having to navigate really slowed me down. I still am not sure where the turn off was to get to the finish line. No two GPS watches showed the same distance, sevearal people I know all must have ran different routes through the maze. The sad part is, it didn't have to be set up this way. I paid more than seventy dollars for this event, I expected better. IronHead Race Productions has really lost the nack of being a well organised and safe race.
2012-08-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4382443

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I did not have any of the problems you indicate and have done this course several times with no issues.  I do think that there are other races that are better produced in the area, but there was nothing wrong with this race.  In the past I have personally witnessed more than 400 participants at this race, but I think the schedule conflict with Hotter than Hell was the big factor in the light attendance...

2012-08-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4381111

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Way to go Andy!!!  You took the race and made the most of it!  The good news for you is Fall running season is right around the corner to perfect your strategy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Rock Triathlon Rss Feed