Canada
Edmonton Triathlon Academy
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Women 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Flew to Edmonton Thursday. Derailleur was bent on arrival. I was more than a little stressed Thurs, but everything settled down. Had time to meet up with Anne and went to the famous W Edmonton Mall on Fri.

This is the Cdn Championships. Bike has to be checked in the night before. On race day, we parked at UofA Stadium and took the ITU bus to race site, as the park is closed to vehicular traffic on race day. Watched the juniors while waiting for my AG start.

Event warmup:

Rumours prior to race was that they're going to do everything possible to make it a wetsuit swim. But at the end, water temp was 0.7C above 22C, and wetsuit was prohibted. That threw a lot of people off. I brought my one piece trisuit in case it's a non wetsuit swim and changed to it.

All swimmers were marshalled from Athletes Village to the swim start by the swim captain. We have to arrive in Athletes Village 30 minutes prior to our heat start time. No swim warm up allowed, but lots of waiting around.
Swim
  • 16m 10s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Another solid swim for me, MOP and not BOP anymore.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Loooooong run to transition. Non wetsuit swim, so no wetsuit fight for a change!
Bike
  • 39m 13s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.60 km/hr
Comments:

2 loops, each loop with 1 steep climb on Emily Murphy Hill, and 1 gentle climb on Groat Road. 2nd loop faster.

I was really worried about the steep climb. After discussing with Anne, we decided we didn't want to ride it before the race. Good decision, as adrenaline during race made the climb a lot easier, and I managed to even pass people.

The longer climb on Groat is not as steep, and I was surprised I didn't even have to switch to the smaller chainring.

Fantastic and fair bike course. Even though probably all Oly and Sprint athletes were on the bike course at one time, it didn't feel crowded or dangerous.

Max speed 56kph on 2nd loop. I rode a little conservative and did not want to take much risk, knowing that if I finish, I'd qualify for the Worlds.

Avg HR = 150, Z5.
Garmin lap data -
1 19m 29s 9.61 kms 29.58 kph 150 163
2 19m 20s 9.60 kms 29.81 kph 150 162

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Very hot and very slow run. 2 loops, with a couple very steep but short hills.

Avg HR = 156, Z5
Garmin lap data -
1 1.00 miles 09m 12s /mile 153 157
2 1.00 miles 09m 08s /mile 156 161
3 1.00 miles 09m 28s /mile 157 161
4 0.25 miles 08m 13s /mile 160 163

Post race
Event comments:

3rd AG, and I qualify for the 2013 Worlds in London. YAY!!!!

The Edmonton Triathlon Festival is a very well organized world class event. 100x better run than the 2008 Vancouver Worlds, in my opinion. Stayed around afterwards for the medal ceremony and watched the elites. Was cheering for Tim Don (GBR) to win. I thought I could bring him good luck as twice in 2002 Du Worlds in Atlanta and 2006 Tri Worlds in Lausanne, I went and he won. Unfortunately, no third time lucky, but Kyle Jones won his first World Cup, bodes well for his Olympic debut in London. Lauren Campbell (Groves), Beijing Olympian won the women's elite race. Good to see her back!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:10 | 750 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 1 loop around the island @ Hawrelak Park.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:05
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:13 | 20 kms | 30.60 km/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops, 2 climbs on each loop - Athletes follow the Hawrelak Park Road to the park entrance and proceed on the park access road to the bridge over Groat Road. Athletes climb 400 meters up Emily Murphy Hill (30 meter elevation gain). At the top of the hill they make a sharp right onto Saskatchewan Drive, continue along this flat section for about one kilometer, then turn right onto Groat Road. Picking up speed very quickly, athletes begin their descent of Groat Road. The course levels out as it crosses the North Saskatchewan River and then begins a moderate winding ascent through the Groat Ravine, gaining 40 meters in elevation, to 107th Avenue. Athletes exit Groat Road at 107th Avenue, cross over Groat Road, then turn back onto Groat Road southbound for an exciting, curving, downhill ride back into the River Valley. The course continues south on Groat Road until reaching Hawrelak Park. At this point athletes will re-enter the park, pass in front of the grandstands, and then, after a quick chicane in front of the dismount line, proceed along the same route as before.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:34 | 05 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 5/7
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops around park - Athletes exit the transition area through the grandstands and turn left onto Hawrelak Rd. Athletes then turn into the next parking lot on their right and exit onto the trails. Athletes run along the dirt trail nearest the river’s edge. The dirt trail provides a challenge in terrain and short but steep hills. Athletes exit the trails approximately 100 meters from a turnaround point on Hawrelak Park Road from which point they run a relatively flat 1200 meters along the road, back to the grandstand area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes