General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake St. Louis, Missouri
United States
City of Lake Saint Louis Parks and Recreation Department
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 14s
Overall Rank = 15/342
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/28
Pre-race routine:

Up early and warm shower.
Ate banana and cliff bar at 5:30.
Restroom before we left house at 5:50.
Event warmup:

Little warm up. Bike was ready. Equipment laid out. Did my usual walk through each transition. Suit is on and headed down to the water after stretch. Swam for maybe 5 min with stretch.
Swim
  • 24m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got on Soren H's feet and followed him almost the whole way. That's why I showed up :03 behind him : )

Some guys (prob 5-7) chose to wear wet suits so could they could have bumped me down a few spots.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, good swim. Possibly draft a bit more and find someone who swims a bit more straight : ) he was left and right and right and left : )
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Fastest in AG by over :20. Probably top 25-30 overall which was good considering the worst possible transition spot possible.

Nice that bike started with a slight downhill. Should have known that and had gears adjusted accordingly. No worries though. Feet are in and strapped and on the road.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 12s
  • 24.1 miles
  • 21.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of water with pain in stomache. Only drank small amounts of water for first 10-15 min...didn't work so tried a GU and water...still pain...tried more water...then tried Hammer Sustained Energy mix..still there. Legs never burned. Breathing was easy and in check but HR was VERY high throughout.(according to previous HR VO2 test)
I really felt like I was taking it fairly easy (according to RPE and strain on legs) but HR was staying high. Kept trying to figure out stomache issue and trying to solve but couldn't. Drank only water for first 10-15 and last 10 or so min...ran out of water but still had half of my Hammer bottle due to stomache concern.

Gotta figure out this stomach issue. I can feel it still the next day almost like pulled muscle or something...some sort of pain left over and stomach sensative to touch in that area.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

23rd overall
Uphill just prior to bike dismount and still had feet in shoes. Waited util last minute and tried to get out of them. Ended up with one foot out and one foot in and had to stop bike and get out....DOH!!!!

Not sure there is much I could unless get out before uphill...not so sure about that.
It helps to rack bike when nobody is around : )
Run
  • 49m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

That was not good...nor fun...nor what I wanted as a tune up for next month.

I have to figure out the stomach issue. Made everything uncomfortable
Post race
Warm down:

Bent over and put hands on my knees in disgust of that run performance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach ache / running ability
Couldn't mentally beat the pain

Event comments:

What a race!! The venue is unmatched. Great with spectators all along T1 and on club house balcony. TONS of helpers and signs everywhere. I think they had a volunteer/cops at EVERY TURN...that is not normal. Lots of water stations with MULTIPLE kids/adults. Transition site could use an isle to get to the exits from back corners instead of through other peoples transition spot.

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 19/342
Performance: Good
watch shows 1.03 miles in 25:35 to transition site. 1st .28 = 5:32 (open and smoothe water) 2nd .28 = 6:34 (caught most ladies in wave ahead) 3rd .28 = 7:09 (more waves and people toward this point) final .18 = 3:07 (gave a little kick to get in)
Suit: Pearl Pro
Course: elongated triangle with bouys on left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:12 | 24.1 miles | 21.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/28
Overall: 14/342
YIKES !!!! Avg HR....156!!! Max HR....168!!! HR highest at big steep hill right at beginning then settled it into mid to upper 150's until mile 15 where it got hilly / started to open up the hammer some more, then upper 150's. Last 6 min let it settle back down to low 150's again.
Wind: Some
Course: 30 turns within 24 miles, up and down and two u-turn areas 1,444 elevation gain 1,486 elevation loss max speed 34.6mph : ) Seemed like wind was head wind for majority..until last 10 min or so.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:23 | 06.21 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 42/342
Performance: Below average
First 4 miles avg hr 162,max 168 and a 7:47 avg pace (which was good since I ran first mile right at 8:00)....then the cramps worsened At mile 2 I felt like I could handle it and started running a bit and felt ok til mile 4. HR jumped to low and mid 160's during this stretch. next 2 miles avg hr 161,max 169 and a 8:24 avg pace walked the aid station at about mile 4.35 and tried to get some water in and on me...getting warmer
Course: 300 ele gain 360 ele loss Up and down round and round through LSLou neighborhood.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-26 4:48 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Saint Louis Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed