General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross race reports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-12-18 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4381658

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Cyclocross race reports
For those still racing or wanting a tune up for Nationals, The Chicago Cross Cup is hosting a two day weekend of racing (both C2's). Tim Johnson, Tristen Scouten,and Adam Myserson will be there for sure others still confirming.

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/16879

Its on a golf course, with a hotel special rates. The club house is open as well if you don't have a team tent to change.

Great time. The course will be windy, features one hill that is rideable assuming its dry (not liekly). The sand should be hard packed with the freezing temps.

2013-01-06 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4539794

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I'm waiting for the Chicago race report, that looked pretty cold with the snow.
2013-01-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4565212

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

dalessit - 2013-01-06 8:52 PM I'm waiting for the Chicago race report, that looked pretty cold with the snow.

I wasn't a cyclocross racer this weekend ( #timetogetFAT ), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!  

Anyway, several of my teammates raced and the word on the street was it was cold, snow covered, and icy slick on Saturday, especially after the surprise snow flurries later in the day, but actually pretty nice and fast on Sunday.  I saw that Trebon tweeted that he felt like a giraffe on skates on Saturday afternoon.  One of my teammates went down and wrecked a front wheel and shattered his handlebars on Saturday AM.     

FYI, 40% chance of rain in Madtown later this week and it's already 40+ here in the MKE, so make sure you pack your Mud hoops if you are travelling to Nats, it is gonna be a tractor pull based on the forecast.  I will be there with a Miller handup and a heckle or 2 for you!  

2013-01-08 8:53 AM

User image

over a barrier
I bagged my season after State Champs, but I was part of course set up and will post some pictures from the weekend in the next day or two.

It was some great racing.
2013-01-09 10:09 AM

User image

Master

Someone made some weak coffee today in the office so I walked over to the Mobile station behind the 'ol job.  A lot of riders for Nats out cruising in the parking lots. Met some nice guys on a Canadian team all riding  really hot Van Dessel's. Kind of pumped after that. Sad though that I am not racing.

2013-01-09 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4569824

User image

Champion

I forget anyone else going to be at worlds?  Racing or spectating?

2013-02-06 8:55 AM

User image

over a barrier
Sad to see 2013 worlds over. It was an awesome day for the US CX scene.

Here is a great video recap

http://vimeo.com/59003307

To see all the riders showing up to the fake foam party and mingling and taking photos was great.
2013-03-19 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4610848

User image

Champion

Better late than never.

We arrived in Louisville about 5:00pm on Thursday after a 10ish hour drive from DC.George and I dropped our stuff off at my B&B then headed over to his place to do the same and then we went to pick up our numbers.Looking at the heat sheets there it looked like I was going to be on the front row for my heat, I thought this would be a good thing.

Later that night after Luke and his wife arrived it was 70 degrees and pouring down rain.About 4am our phones went crazy and tornado sirens started going off outside.None of us had any idea what to do, so the three of us went into the cellar to ride out a possible Tornado.Warning ended about 4:45 or so and we headed back to bed (later found out that the sirens go off all the time and we should have just gone back to bed)

We rolled out of the house the following morning and it was still pretty warm but starting to cool off.When we arrived we found they had bumped everything back 2 hours or so.Not enough time to go home since they said they would get started at noon and try to make up time along the way, my heat was originally set for 10:30.We decided that due to the mucky conditions we should get some mud boots to save our shoes.We found a Target not too far away and headed over there to pick up supplies.Turns out Target only sells women’s rubber boots, so Luke, Shane and I left with matching boots.The black and white tiger stripe boots were a big hit.Someone told me a 16 year old girl was missing her boots somewhere, the announcer called us out for them, and someone took my picture for a blog.

Moving the race back 2 hrs messed up my normal meal plan so pre-race meal consisted of a pulled pork sandwich and fries, just what I needed.

Finally time to race,

Started on the far left side front row. There were 34 starters so at the time I believe I needed to beat 8 – 10 guys to make it to the finals. Course was complete slop, 1.5 miles of mud. Horn went off and we took off. Right after we left the pavement there was maybe a 10-20 foot pond that sent water everywhere, the one bright spot of my race, I was in the front still after the sprint so I didn’t get a complete face full of water like the guys behind me.

Started on the far left side front row.There were 34 starters so at the time I believe I needed to beat 8 – 10 guys to make it to the finals.Course was complete slop, 1.5 miles of mud.Horn went off and we took off.Right after we left the pavement there was maybe a 10-20 foot pond that sent water everywhere, the one bright spot of my race, I was in the front still after the sprint so I didn’t get a complete face full of water like the guys behind me.

Then I started a slow movement to the back of the pack.I was not prepared for these conditions, never raced in anything close.In MABRA I’ve raced a few muddy races but we had muddy sections (never did well in them) then we moved onto drier ground and I would make up ground there.There was no dry ground here it was either deep mud or swampy mud, or just plain water.I had borrowed some wheels from Knight to try out here as my Fango/Grifo combo was not suited to these conditions.I never had a chance before we left to try them out and race morning I went to install them and found that there was no configuration I could put my brakes in that would not cause them to rub the tire.A very poor piece of prep on my part.Ended up 2nd from the back in 33rd.I have never finished any CX race that poorly, even with broken brake cables, rolled tubulars, broken derailleurs, getting off my bike multiple times to drink a beer and eat a waffle, etc.Wasn’t overly happy, never been more miserable on a bike. 26 minutes for 3 miles worth of racing.

Seriously debated the repegage, I was miserably cold, wet and muddy at this point.Luke was a good negotiator and talked me into it.Later that night talking to some guys from another team I got serious props for even trying it.They all said if they didn’t qualify there was no way they would have gone back out there.15 guys started the repegage so I had to beat 7 of them.Started 2nd row and this time I ended up holding position going into the pond so I got the full face spray.Passed guys and was running 4th for about ¾ of a lap and opened a gap.Got to a particularly deep mud section at this point and was pedaling 60-80 rpm spraying mud behind me but going no-where.Passed by 5 guys right then all moving much faster than I was.Took my bike discus’d it over the top tape and took my DNF.Again a very miserable time on the bike.

Looking at the heats, if I had raced in heat 1 my time would have been good enough for 24th getting me into the finals.If I had raced in heat 3 my time was just off 24th but probably would have been in a group for the final spot.Should have raced faster so no real excuse but looks like the other heats might have helped me out a bit.

So out of everyone racing that weekend I was one of maybe 15-20 guys not racing as the 40-44 was the only one that had heat eliminations.To add insult to injury I found out on Friday at the finals they let anyone that didn’t qualify start at the back so I could have raced.This wasn’t announced and all my stuff was back at the room so no time to make it back in time.

A lot of lessons learned for me here.I need to get a better routine for warm-ups before race.I was running all over the place due to the delay and didn’t get a proper warm-up in, which would have been really helpful for a 2 lap race. I have learned over time to prepare for the worst clothing wise, I wasn’t prepared for the worst equipment wise, should have tried out Knights wheels, had more options for mud.It wouldn’t have put me anywhere near the podium, but maybe it would have gotten me through the heats if I had better traction.

It was still a very epic event, miserable to do but great to talk about afterwards.I want to get some redemption next year at nationals to get a better showing, hopefully better race day prep will help.

Watching the World Championships on Saturday was extremely memorable and made the trip well worth it.Can’t wait for it to come back to the U.S. 10,000 screaming Americans ended up being louder than 60,000 Belgians from last years race according to many of the guys racing.

2013-03-19 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
I have some pictures I put on a blog, I'll download them tomorrow so I can post them here so you can share mud!
2013-03-20 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4666966

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
That sounds absolutely miserable. Great story though
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross race reports Rss Feed  

of 4