General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeville, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 11s
Overall Rank = 106/643
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/42
Pre-race routine:

Race was 45 minutes away. Ate a banana and a cereal bar, and sipped an electrolyte/water mixture. Setup transition, warmed up and waited for start.
Event warmup:

1 mile jog to loosen up slightly, alittle stretching. Headed down to get in a 10 minutes swim warm up in.
Swim
  • 24m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very warm. Could have totally been a non-wetsuit race segment. A few area where it was very shallow. 3/4 back, rounded an area where my finger tips were literally scrapping the bottom. Had to veer off to the side alittle to find a little deeper water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, swim went at planned. Reached my swim time goal and then some.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Since this was an olympic distance, I choose to put socks and biking shoes on while in T1. Figured the few extra seconds would pay off in comfort later in the race. We exited swim, up some granite steps, alittle slippery, then a nice litte run, down a chute to get to transition.

Nothing, went as planned.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 20.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to finish the bike segment in 1:12 to 1:15 minutes. Finished in 1hr 17mins. Happy with that. Think I could have pushed harder in some areas, but I knew with my running history that could make the running harder. Sat back and enjoyed the ride, not pushing hard.

Maybe push harder. Would have liked my average speed higher. Since this was my first olympic distance I didn't know what to expect coming the bike and running a 10K.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Switched into running shoes, helmet off, switched Garmin from bike mount to watch-strap. Had a great transition. Loved seeing my wife and two boys, cheer me on while in T2!

Nothing, went great.
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where things got interesting for this race. Started off great leaving transition, felt great! Popped off right around a sub-7 minute mile for the first two miles; and then I could feel both quad muscle in both legs starting to cramp! I keep going to mile 3 and right after that, mainly my right leg, LOCKED up! Ouch! Had to stop briefly, walk a few feet and do some exagerated stretching. Started running again and only made it about another 3/4 of a mile before, my leg locked again. Mainly the right leg, but I could feel the left getting worse. Repeated this, run a mile, walk for 10-15 seconds and stretch, and then continued. Last 4 miles were far slower then I wanted. Was hoping to hold 7 to 7:15min/mile pace. Not much to do but, push on. Was hoping for a 42 to 45 minute run segment; ended up with 49min. Not bad considering I had a great two miles before I cramped up severly on the back half of the course and had to walk/stretch every mile or so. I watch less then 10 folks pass me on the run, and I think 4 of them were in my age group! Wanted to keep up with them, but I just couldn't. Did have nice encouragement by each person who passed me, telling me to push on! Helps. Got to high-five my son coming down the finishing chute; don't know if he or I were more excited to see the finish of this run.

Not much. I don't think I pushed that hard on the bike, maybe? Iam use to racing sprint distances, which is all out, all the way. Doubling the distance on the bike and run, makes me think I have some work to do on my bike to run conditioning for my next olympic distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, sat in an ice bath for a couple of minutes. Ate and rehydrated. Chatted with my wife and two boys about how the race went, before they left and then hung out, for post-race meal. Ate and watched some finishers come down the chute.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Severe cramping on the run from mile 3 thru 6. I feel I hydrated well all week long. Sort of dissappointed because I felt I could have had a great run, minus the leg cramps. Still managed to finish in the top 17% of the overall field(plus or minus) and a tenth place age-group finish! My season has included a 1st place Ag win, a top 5 AG placing, and now a top 10 AG placing. Happy with how things went for my first olympic distance race and overall how my season has gone.

Event comments:

Great event! I see why it sells out every year. Very, very organized, great race management and volunteers. Post race activies included meals for races (olympic distance), a live band, ect. My wife did the sprint on sat and I raced the olympic distance on sunday. Nice for each of us to bring our kids out, have some fun and watch their parents race. My oldest is bothering me about doing the kids duathlon next year...maybe? If we do this again next year, my oldest son may do the kids duathlon. Great family involved weekend. Event location had a smaller park for the kids to burn off some energy, a skate park and some wide open soccer field to run thru. Would definately do this race again.

Last updated: 2012-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 116/643
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Out in sort of a figure 8 pattern, keeping all buoys to your left. Large orange buoys out and back with 2 or 3 green buoys at the turnaround. Very shallow in some areas. Warm water!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:27 | 26.2 miles | 20.30 mile/hr
Overall: 135/643
Wind: None
Course: One large 26 mile loop. Most rolling hills with a few flat areas. No real major climbs, but it seemed liked alot of false flat areas? Roads were in great condition. Maybe last 4 miles or so a few choppy areas-overall very scenic course!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:39 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 160/643
Performance: Below average
Course: One 10K loop. My opinion, again seemed to be alot of false flat areas and a few other rolling hills. Only a couple of areas in direct sunlight, otherwise nice shaded run through residential area. Aid stations at each mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

2012-08-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4381720

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course
Cranberry is a great race glad you had fun and AWESOME first oly!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed