EWZ Ironman Switzerland
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 11h 05m 2s
Overall Rank = 427/1749
Age Group = M18-24
Age Group Rank = 13/30
Pre-race routine:

Almost none. I got to Switzerland Thursday for a sunday race and was pretty tired. Thurs and Fri I was mentally very disconnected from the race and not thinking about it at all (and not stressing either!), took me til saturday afternoon to snap in to it and realize I was doing an ironman!
Event warmup:

Got there early, it was raining, started to set up. Have never done a race in the rain (or in mountains). Fun times
Swim
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a really really nice swim in great water. I relaxed the whole way. I had been doing some OWS practice, and had just done 17 min in a 1000m OWS. This one was different. In the USA they give you lots of buoys and markers, here just 3 buoys for the entire 2.4miles. WOW i swam bad lines! Swam towards a boat rather than a buoy on the second lap because it was so far away!
What would you do differently?:

More long course OWS practice with distance sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

OK transition, no wetsuit strippers, decent run to T1. Got out of there ok thoguh
Bike
  • 5h 52m 20s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful scenic 2 loop course. Great flat portion on lake, some great climbs getting in to some beautiful swiss country towns. Very beautiful course overall. I got SMOKED by the hills though, being from Louisiana, we do not get the chance to train for climbing of that magnitude. Going down was fun but scary with rain and wet roads. It was raining for a large portion of this race.

Alternated stinger waffles, nutter butter cookies on bike. Bonk breaker PBJ half way.

A little easier on the first loop.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Decent transition, hit someone going the wrong way with their bike when i was coming in. Everything was soaked by this point and transition looked like a sloppy kentucky derby track

Nothing
Run
  • 3h 46m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great stomach wise and nutrition wise coming out of T2. Very cold but happy to be off bike. Legs were whipped. A nice little hill coming out of T2, tried to take my first PB gu a couple miles in to the run and my stomach felt like crap. I train with this stuff but it wasnt happening. Forgot my saltsticks in transition. Stomach started to shut down at mile 13 and i couldnt really get anything down, had some red bull, had my brother bring me a hot salty soft pretzel from the street i ate a few bites of (yum), but overall in the last 10 or so miles i ate or drank almost nothing because i could get nothing down. The temp also dropped 10 or so degrees at mile 15 or so, started pouring again, huge winds. Got VERY cold very fast. Didnt realize i was completely hypothermic til i was in the med tent.

Tried to run slow at first but got comfortable around 8:15 miles. Goal was to run in 3:30s

Remember salt sticks, No gu. To have the IM time I am capable of I need to be running 3:30, probably went a little too hard on bike but i could not go any easier and get up the hills. train harder next time i guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Go to food tent. Unable to eat. Lie down in dirt and lose motor control. Forget what's around. Attract medical attention. Get IVs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tough race conditions, poor bike training.

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:48 | 4156 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 0/1749
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes
Course: Lake Switzerland Swim. Swim 1 loop, run across a little island, swim another (slightly different) loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:52:20 | 112 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/30
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:46:49 | 26.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/30
Performance: Average
Course: 4 loop run course, pretty flat (for switzerland at least)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes