General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 24s
Overall Rank = 106/183
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I actually got up at 430am since I was 30 minutes away and transition opened at 530am. This was one of my bigger tri's this year and I knew it was going to be packed. I wanted to get a primo rack location. Went back to car and slept another 30 minutes waiting for sun to rise so I could lay out my items.
Event warmup:

Got in water before start to relax. I seem to have better swims even if I just get in the water and float around.
Swim
  • 24m 27s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stayed out of traffic -start waves were large, all women went out together. Staying out of traffic might of cost me time, but I also wasn't kicked, crowded or ran over which made for a relaxed swim. Rocks were rough at exit, I swam to almost 12" to avoid walking on all the rocks.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe one day become more aggressive. I like to let the lead pack go out and mix my way in - I go out of my way to avoid traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I put on my bike shoes in transition, but I was a little high on time because I wiped my face with a towel before putting on my shirt, helmet and sunglasses. Locating towel cost me a few seconds - racks were packed so spacing was limited once I added my wetsuit to my area.

Know in advance where I was putting my wetsuit to keep it out of my way and not have to go search for items underneath it.
Bike
  • 49m 18s
  • 14.95 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

More hill work!!! I am spoiled by riding in flat Central Ohio - I need to get out and work the hills

See above.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I put on socks for run - and it cost a few more seconds than usual - I also took a drink before heading out.
Run
  • 31m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't run as well as I had hoped - but I got it done and did FINISH STRONG!

This is average pace for me
Post race
Warm down:

2 orange slices, a piece of watermelon and a water in the tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat in run.

Event comments:

The lines at 7am were CRAZY - there didn't seem to be enough volunteers for this race and the ones that were at transition entrance didn't have a clue.
There was only one sign for bike rack assignments at entrance and lead to lots of confusion in transition area. I helped over 5 people (mostly newbies) find out where to rack their bikes.
Registration line at 7am had almost a hundred peple in it. Race was suppose to start at 8am.

People doing chips and numbering were really slow because 2 or 3 people trying to do it all for 600 people.

Race started late but it was due to the fact there were so many Girls Tri Too exhibitors. They do a timed trial start so I didn't have a problem with the late start of the waves. It was worth it to cheer on many of the ladies who it was their first tri - it's how I started last year!!!

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:27 | 1094 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/183
Performance: Good
This was my first time doing a race of this swim distance - my longest to date! The wetsuit allowed me to feel confident, I had put the time in on OWS practice.
Suit: Wetsuit legal
Course: Large rectangle, started in deep water and all right turns until finish buoy. Left exit out of the water and up a large hill to transition. (Ran the whole thing!!)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:18 | 14.95 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Overall: 1/183
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back - this was 7 miles uphill followed by at least 4 miles downhill. Top speed going out with headwind was 18, top speed coming back was 30mph. I needed to remember to pace going out and not overdo it. I haven't done much hill bike work this summer, and needed to save something for the run.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:24 | 03.11 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 1/183
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, there were a few hills and I did walk up those. I think the hills on the bike got me a little more than I thought. Temps were heating up too and most of run was in direct sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

2012-08-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4383166

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a good race!  I know what you mean about the hills.  Northeast Indiana is much the same......all flat!  But we have the wind all the time so I feel that seems to level the playing field a little bit.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed