United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 43s
Overall Rank = 141/700
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 27/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 AM and ate a banana, half a cliff bar, and water. Traveled about 30 minutes to race and was there at 5AM. I was able to get the closest spot (for my age division) to the bike in/bike out. This was helpfull..had the best T1 in age group!
Event warmup:

Swam about 500m warm up. Water was great and felt good. Swam without wet-suit.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 525 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

To the first buoy, it was an all out dog-fight. 68 in my wave, so there was a lot of jocking for position. I didnt get into a rythym until after first buoy. Being 13th out of 68 in my wave was very good for me. I swam without a wetsuit, and a I feel in this short of a race that I wouldnt see much advantage, and water temp was great.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Need to work on speed and endurance. I was pretty spent coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I transitioned very well...with one big exception. I leave my shoes clipped on bike and rubber band them into the position I prefer. I jumped on bike and started peddaling on top of shoes..unfortunately, there was a big hill at start. So, I could not put feet until after hill. Once I got on flat ground, I got my left foot in and secured. Started putting my right foot in and veered a little right...hit a drop off between the asphalt road and curb. This sent me flying. Fortunately, only scrapes to my kneees and elbow, but I quickly got on bike and clipped in. I need to reconsider if my shoes are ideal for triathlons.

Practice, practice, practice slipping into and securing shoes.
Bike
  • 45m 43s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving out my first mile where I struggled to get my feet in my shoes and crashing, I averaged 19.0 MPH. This may not be fast for most riders, but I am very happy with this speed. I was shooting for 16.5 to 17.0 based on my training in similar conditions. I definitely did not leave anything on the bike course. I will had HR data when I get a chance.

In my young tri career, cycling appears to be my weaknest event. I need more time on bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I need to get to know the course better, so I can prepare getting out of my shoes earlier. I didn't do this until the last minute and had to slow down drastically. I actually knocked one shoe off. For some reason, I was bottom third of my age division in T2. Not sure why.

Practice getting out of my shoes and riding on top of them. Know the courses better!
Run
  • 23m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I accidentally wondering off the course at the beginning. Luckily, it was right near the transition area and volunteers got me on course. After pushing it hard on the bike, the first hill almost killed me. I had thought about walking and was wondering how I was going to finish the 3 miles at any reasonable pace.. Heart rate was in T5 at the top of the hill. I fought through the negative thoughts and got into my pace. I felt really good after 1.5 miles and picked up the pace. Extrapolating 3.0 miles to 5K, this would be a PR for 5k!! I was very happy. The endurance and interval training paid off big time, in my opinion.

In the last 200 yards, I kicked it down and passed a guy I met in transition. He had passed my on the bike...tricked out tri-bike worth at least 5k. It was a nice feeling to pass him at the end:0 . I know it sounds bad, but It was a good feeling.

Drink more water!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my mom! I was very happy my mom got to see me race! I had a couple friends there as well. Unfortunately, I should have done some light jogging and stretching, but I didnt...paid for it later :)

Event comments:

Considering I crashed on the bike and ran of the running course, I had a great race. Biked and ran faster than anticpated. I feel my training paid off and I have to learn to trust my training!

Last updated: 2012-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 525 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/68
Overall: 142/700
Performance: Good
Suit: No Suit
Course: Clockwise triangle course. Out to first buoy, straight to second buoy, then back. Water was very calm.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:45:43 | 14 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/68
Overall: 68/700
I will get HR and lap data later.
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop around the lake. Moderate rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:30 | 03 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/68
Overall: 142/700
Course: Ran around Weaver Lake. The run starts with a considerable hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Dare to Tri

2012-08-28 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4383447

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Dare to Tri
Oh, I forgot to mention...I was 1st in my age division in T1!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dare to Tri Rss Feed