General Discussion Race Reports! » S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Weatherby Lake, Missouri
United States
S.W.A.T.
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 16m 2s
Overall Rank = 4/36
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

This race wasn't on my official race list but I did it last year and it was very low key and a lot of fun. This is a fund raiser for a good cause and the people at Weatherby Lake are great. Last year my transition spot was a TREE! That's how casual an environment this is.

Woke up, took a shower, put the coffee on, took the bike out of the garage, sent a text to Frank, Frank responded by being at the door 5 seconds later. A group of about 9 drove up together for this fun race.
Event warmup:

The warm up for this race was standing around talking to friends and saying hello to all of the Weatherby Lake volunteers. I figured I'd use the first 200 yards of the swim as a warmup.
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 1200 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

A lot of folks at Weatherby Lake swim, and swim lots, hence the 1200 yard swim in a sprint distance Triathlon. So I was content to just go out easy in the first 200, then pick it up as I saw fit. I swam a little wide to the first bouy, then swam even wider to the far bouy where the turnaround was. But It was a relaxed swim without trying to navigate around people. On the way in I did swim in between a couple of swimmers and I couldn't tell who was swimming in a Z-pattern! I'd swim for while, then we'd collide, swim away and the process would repeat. That lasted for a couple of minutes then I put forth a harder effort and swam ahead. Was feeling mightly speedy there for while.

The swim finish is great, you swim under the boat dock to the beach area where you run up to transition.

Oh yeah, it was spinkling at swim start, it started to rain harder during the swim. As I was swimmming I thought I was on somebody's feet but when I looked up there was nobody there, The bubbles I saw in front of me was created by the rain!
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, hold a closer line so as not to swim a longer distance than necessary. But it was so calm out there!
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

When I got to my transition spot everything was soaking wet! So it took a little longer to put my shoes on. I think removing the wetsuit bottoms went as good as expected, you've got to pull it off over the timing chip which adds a few seconds.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 34m 40s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

let's see, the last time I rode in the rain I crashed and broke my collar bone. A friend of mine came out of the water and decided not to ride at all (he has HyVee next week, didn't want to risk it). I decided to go easy on the bike and not "race" the bike portion. I pushed hard on a few occasions, where it was flat or uphill. I slowed way down on turns and applied breaks going downhill. About midway through I saw the neon yellow of Patrick and right with him was this other rider. I was wondering if the other guy was on a relay team because I knew Patrick wouldn't have much company coming out of the water. They were moving pretty fast too, much faster than I was willing to risk.

There a a couple of parts of the course that are flat and you can get down on the bars but I never did. I just wanted better control throughout the race.

I ended up with a 19 mph average which was faster than I felt I was going. In dry conditions I'm sure I could average 22 mph or faster on this course.

Ride a mountain bike? Not sure if I could average a higher speed though.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Got back to my soaking wet running shoes and visor. Don't know why I still put the visor on, it was still raining, no sign of sunlight. But it was the stylish thing to do!

Maybe lay a plastic trash bag over my gear during T1....Nah, it's just a sprint!
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition in soggy shoes but feeling pretty good. I think the relaxed atmosphere of this race can help performance a little. Felt my typical sluggish self coming out of T2 but I was able to achieve a good pace since the bike wasn't so taxing on the legs going so slow on the wet roads. About 3/4 mile into the run this teenage boy just cruised by me. He looked fresh and dry so I knew he was part of a relay team. Probably a HS XC runner, heck he looked pretty young, might have been in middle school! That was the only character passing me this day. Next I was Pete with Patrick right behind him. I was thinking, did Pete rock the swim and hammer the bike? My gut told me Pete skipped the bike and just ran with Patrick as Pete had HyVee the following week and is not one to risk injury on a fun race like this. Turns out he did skip the bike, I might have done the same in his shoes, but probably not as I lack wisdom in that regard.

My next victim was Ryan the RD! I could see that he was conversing with the volunteers on the street corner ahead of me so when I passed by I asked them if there was a penalty for passing the RD. She said "Oh no I think there's actually a bonus, go get 'em!". Eventually I caught up to him, chatted for a few steps, told him how great this event was going etc. and went on my way. When the RD can run the race that says a lot about his planning, staff and volunteers behind him.

Part of the run is out & back so you see runners heading out as you're coming in and I saw Brandon who told me Bob was just down the road. Bob was on a relay team so I thought I'd pick it up a bit to see if I could catch him. He was still at least 150 yards ahead so I wasn't sure there was enough real estate to make it up. I did pick it up a bit but fell short about 30 yards or so at the finish. The finish was great, a good amount of spectator noise given the small event.

I ended up with a PR for a sprint run leg, first time averaging sub 7's, heck my previous best 5K split was 7:20's so I smashed my previousl mark. I suppose going easy on the bike helped this as I usually hammer the bike before any run.

Absolutely Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to transition, drank the rest of my gatorade, walked back to the finish to cheer on the other members of our group. The young piglet of the group, Kaylee, got second female overall! Whohoo! It was a good day for the swimmers of Prairie Life Fitness!

Warm down concluded with four cups of Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat beer, Ahhhhh!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um, the rain maybe......

Event comments:

This race is top notch. The team that puts this together and the volunteers really make it a worth while event, esspecially the great cause behind it.

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 1200 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 10/36
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1 Bottoms Only
Course: An out&back type swim, 200 yards to bouy 1, turn left, swim about 400 yards to bouy 2 where you make a u-turn and come back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:40 | 11 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 8/36
Wind:
Course: A technical bike course with lots of turns and short hills. Only a few minutes worth of flat sections where you can get down on the bars.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:18 | 03.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 5/36
Course: A run partly along the bike course, then cuts in through part of the Weatherby Lake neighborhood. Some small climbs and descents, nothing too long before a change in direction.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon

2012-08-27 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4383471

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon
I love these kind of races - friendly is the way to go!  Well done!
2012-08-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4383495

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Way to keep the rubber side down in the rain! 
2012-08-28 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a fun race! I enjoy the laid back races too.  I also enjoy running in the rain, biking not so much.

It would be interesting to try to calculate what your time would have been if you'd averaged 20 on the bike and gone slower on the run.  Isn't that always the triathlete's dilemma?

I like how you were able to enjoy the social aspect of the race as well.

Nice job, sounds like a great way to spend a morning, and enjoy a good beer (or two)

2012-08-28 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Thanks J, J and TJ,

Yes, rubber on the right side is good.  I was totally taking it easy, braking on the descents, actually I'm surpised I even averaged 19 mph, it felt like 17 or 18.  My friend Partrick, who won this race, was moving pretty quickly and he was on a TT bike.  He averaged over 20 and my hats off this his bike handling skills as I was just spooked by the slickness of the roads.  Had I done my usual thing, I would have easily averaged 22-23 on this course, then probably would have run 7:20's so when I math those out, it's worth it to hammer the bike.  I gain 3-4 minutes on the ride but only lose 1 minute on the run.  In sprints it always maths out to hammer the bike.  I think for me, it maths out in the Oly distance as well.  Now the HIM is another story.....

2012-08-28 12:20 PM

User image

Seattle
Speedy, speedy peanut butter!!!!!! 

2012-08-28 1:10 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Speedy Piglet Peanutbutter!

What a great race--even kicked up a notch--and thanks for doing it. Super job keepin' cool riding in rough and rainy conditions.

2012-08-28 1:37 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Loved your write-up, Reece!  What a fun-sounding race, and man, if you average 19 mph going 'slow' and not racing in the rain, geeez, you must really smoke 'em when it's dry!  And your run time, well, drooool...great job!
2012-08-28 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Thanks SaltyYantiMelanie!

Hey, random thoughts here.  My name's Reece, so Yanti calls me Peanut Butter, Adrienne's nickname is Salty and I prefer only natural peanut butter which is simply peanuts and SALT......and my favorite candy is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Melanie lives in Pa which is the home state of Hershey's!

2012-08-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4384935

User image

Melon Presser
reecealan - 2012-08-29 4:54 AM

Hey, random thoughts here.  My name's Reece, so Yanti calls me Peanut Butter, Adrienne's nickname is Salty and I prefer only natural peanut butter which is simply peanuts and SALT......and my favorite candy is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Melanie lives in Pa which is the home state of Hershey's!

And I LOVE licking peanut butter! It's so good!

2012-08-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4384935

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-08-28 3:54 PM

Let me get this straight, you and I go to PA where Yanti consumes us?

2012-08-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4384965

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Asalzwed - 2012-08-28 4:07 PM
reecealan - 2012-08-28 3:54 PM

Let me get this straight, you and I go to PA where Yanti consumes us?

Yep

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » S.W.A.T. Jeremy Katzenberger Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed