General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Racine - Muncie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-29 8:42 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Racine - Muncie?

Would love to get some information as to which one to sign up for for 2013.  Kansas is the closest to me, but does not work out the best in the schedule.

I have heard good things about Racine; but worried that the nearest hotel is typically 30 minutes away.

Muncie also fits into the schedule; however, I have not heard anything really about this one.

2012-08-29 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4387298

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Racine - Muncie?

I did Muncie last year (2011), fast bike course, rollers for the run. There is camping 1 mile from the start so it was nice to walk to and from race day. The people around the area were awesome. I will be back and recommend this one to everyone.

cheers

2012-08-29 11:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Muncie was shortened this year to 1 mile swim, 30 mile bike, 6.2 mile run due to weeks of extreme heat leading up to the event (hot water) and 105 deg forecasted for race day.  I don't know how much hotter this was than usual July temps, but I think normally it's mid 90's in July.  I did the race this year; check my race report for additional info if you like.

The swim is no problem; rectangle course in a reservoir so no waves or chop.  The bike was extremely fast; little elevation change and good smooth roads.  The run did roll a little but I would not call it "hilly."  With the exception of a HIM with a current-aided swim it's probably one of the fastest courses around.

2012-08-30 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I have only raced Racine, so can't speak on the other two. I stayed in a hotel that was maybe 20 minutes away and I know people who stayed closer to the race site. I think it depends on how quickly you make your reservation!

The bike course at Racine is really bumpy, but I forgot all about that after running for 2 minutes. The crowd support at Racine is fantastic. This year the swim in Lake Michigan was calm and clear, but Lake Michigan does turn over pretty quickly - you can't predict what the swim will be like on race day.

2012-08-30 11:09 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'll chime in for Kansas - lots of good things about this race (challenging bike course, uber crowd support on the run through camp grounds), and also on-site camping available.

Weather can be unpredictable (isn't it all?) - last year the high for the day was 94 which set a record high, with 25mph+ winds. 5 years ago the race was called during the run due to severe weather rolling in. But other years it's been absolutely perfect with highs in the mid 80s and no wind.

I have filed race reports for each year Kansas 70.3 has been held if you want to read up on it.

Edited by lisac957 2012-08-30 11:10 AM
2012-08-30 4:38 PM

New user

Thanks for the help - I think that the camping option is out especially if the entire family comes to the event....I know that you are not able to predict the weather and that there is nothing that you can do but deal with the conditions that are given on that day.

I have heard from a couple of people that the roads seem rough for Racine.  The benefits of Racine look to be the multiple opportunities to see people/family/friends on the run portion.

The suggested hotels appear to be about 20-30 minutes from the start sites - mainly concerned about getting there race morning - this would be my first HIM - is it an option to drop off the bike the day before or do you recomend just hauling it there race morning.

2012-08-30 4:43 PM

New user

Sounds like Muncie is super fast and that Racine is possibly a wetsuit legal event....too many options to consider - I just need to pick one (might come down to flipping a coin).

I went to the events websites and noted that the elevation changes for Muncie bike has a gain of 528 while Racine has a bike gain of 577; and that the elevation gain for Muncie run has a gain of 161 while Racine has a run gain of 154.  Seems like the courses are similar.

2012-08-30 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4388839

User image

Regular
Chicago
slfontana5 - 2012-08-30 4:38 PM

Thanks for the help - I think that the camping option is out especially if the entire family comes to the event....I know that you are not able to predict the weather and that there is nothing that you can do but deal with the conditions that are given on that day.

I have heard from a couple of people that the roads seem rough for Racine.  The benefits of Racine look to be the multiple opportunities to see people/family/friends on the run portion.

The suggested hotels appear to be about 20-30 minutes from the start sites - mainly concerned about getting there race morning - this would be my first HIM - is it an option to drop off the bike the day before or do you recomend just hauling it there race morning.

Actually, you are required to drop off your bike the day before for Racine. Also, I wore a wetsuit - I really can't imagine Lake Michigan not being wetsuit legal, but for all I know that may have happened.

2012-08-30 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I'll second Lisa's vote on Kansas! The lake isn't bad, the bike has lots of hills to keep it intersting, the roads are in great shape, & lots & lots of spectors on the run. Even if you don't end up camping, it's nice to have a campsite, where your family can hang out. That was really one of my favorite parts. My husband & kids came to spectate, & they were able to walk down to the swim & watch, then go back to our shaded campsite & play then walk up to T2 when I came back off the bike, then on the run course I ran by them 4x. After the last time they had time to get up to the finish. It's a long day and knowing it was easier on my family made it better for me. We had a hotel for Friday & Saturday night, we all stayed there Fri, & on Sat, I slept in a tent & they in the hotel. The only problem is they close the campground to traffic at 5am on race day, so it was an early drive for my hubby! Plus having the car so close after the race was fantastic! Good luck in making your choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Racine - Muncie? Rss Feed